The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Awesome as always!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    All I can say after reading this thread is that you have my full admiration for your undeniable talents!!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    started relicing the top o the first one.  I use a sharp scalpel for the crazing, then rub in a dark stain and rub the whole thing down with wire wool and wax... Damage, dirt and Patina.   still a bit to do on that final stage, but its already most of the way there

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Stunning!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    That's remarkable work @WezV  ;

I see so many relics where I am left wondering, 'in real life, just how would that have happened???'

Turning to this one, on the other hand, there have been so many genuinely old guitars I've seen and handled that have looked just like this.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Bloody hell, that looks amazing.  
    thanks peeps.

In all honesty the knife always feels like a rather crude way to do this... but it seems to work for me.   it always starts off looking proper hokey though
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    thanks peeps.

In all honesty the knife always feels like a rather crude way to do this... but it seems to work for me.   it always starts off looking proper hokey though
    I'm reluctant to try that way yet if i can stuff it in a freezer,  i did do a combination of the both which looked ok after the usual wire wool and dark stain etc
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    i don't have a freezer big enough yet, but do freeze fender style stuff.   I think I would still use the knife on a carved top for a bit of predictability
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    i don't have a freezer big enough yet, but do freeze fender style stuff.   I think I would still use the knife on a carved top for a bit of predictability
    I've got a friend with a big enough freezer which helps,  in winter it works well in the boot of a car too, i can now fit one in the new workshop then i don't have to run around anymore, luxury

Do fender style maple necks check in the freezer? 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    nice update from @Mojopickups this morning

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    :o 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    Those pickups look so bloody nice,  does he do the covers with corner screw holes
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I think he has some being made at the mo.   

I wasnt too fussed for these builds
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    You'll be able to hear them against an original.  I'm interested to hear how they compare.
    PhilKing said:
    You'll be able to hear them against an original.  I'm interested to hear how they compare.
    yeah.  Part of me did wonder about getting an adjustable staple too for a proper comparison... but that way lies madness.  

Marc has said  he has changed the wind slightly to get a better balance in the set, but even if he had copied a 50's one exactly i wouldn't expect his to sound exactly like another 50's one... just the one he copied.

I also buffed out an 81 refin this weekend... in a nice vintage black.   Its been a full on Custom weekend

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    well I'll be going the adjustable route just for the one I'm doing,  I'm also interested to hear a comparison 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    WezV said:
    nice update from @Mojopickups this morning

Excellent choice. Mojo are the best
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    time to make some new guards... i have at least 3 custom style ones to make and want a wider bevel, a coupel for things i have not done threads for yet.  I have an original 50's archtop guard here for comparison.

here are 3 guards.. the 50's archtop, an off the shelf custom guard, and one i have made in the middle

You can see the man difference between the old and modern material is the middle black layer... can't do much about that

I used a router to rough the bevel in, but that looked pretty much identical to the one on the bottom.  I hand scraped the bevel on the middle one... getting much closer.

The old guard's bevel is actually slightly concave so i think i need to finish off with a curved scraper

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    Interesting that they have a thinner black layer on top of the new material but don't put it in the sandwich layer.