So many technique issues.. what's the answer?

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224

After 20 years of playing, I would have expected to be quite good (or at least ‘above average’), however I’m really decidedly average (if that), and I’m trying now to rectify that by expanding my base of techniques, learning some new scales and broadening my musical horizons in general.

One of the big problems I have – apart from my alternate picking speed/consistency, my little finger strength, not knowing enough scales, or notes, or chords, or any theory – is that I’m quite a sloppy player.

I mainly play covers in a band and so I know what I need to play and when to play it – however when I listen back to recordings, I hear accidental open strings, fluffed notes, missed notes, over-bends, phrasing that’s all over the place.  I’ve no idea how to fix this as when I’m playing I’m just not aware that I’m about to accidentally hit 2 strings instead of one, or that my finger is about to half fret the note on the wire rather than on the wood.

I’m honestly at a loss where to begin.  I’m entirely self taught, but even so, surely by now I should be better than just mediocre.

My home practice sessions are now just an old routine which I’m struggling to feign interest in these days – jamming along to the same backing tracks, or playing the same pentatonic shape over a blues rock backing track.  Rehearsal with the band is as fun as it’s always been but that’s only once a month.

I’m primarily a singer, so I comfort myself by thinking I’m at least a far better singer than I am a guitarist, and that’s what counts - but even that justification is starting to wear a little thin.

The older I get the more down I begin feeling about it all.  Throwing money at the problem in the form of new gear masks the feeling temporarily but it eventually comes back.

At 38 I'm thinking I'm probably too old to start lessons now, and I'm sure I'd probably be laughed at anyway!

Does anyone else ever feel like this?  What's the answer (if any)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27579
    delorean said:

At 38 I'm thinking I'm probably too old to start lessons now, and I'm sure I'd probably be laughed at anyway!

I started cello lessons at 39 and didn't get laughed at at all. After three-and-a-bit years I'm probably better at cello than I am at guitar after 25 years of playing.

A good teacher will be able to spot why you're making the mistakes you are, and give you simple exercises to sort out the cause.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Sounds like me. I’m the best part of 3 years in but still really sloppy. When I play a scale or even a lick I’ve played 1000 times I fluff notes, get buzzes etc that I thought would be going away by now. I think it’s improving but it’s glacial. 

I’m much quicker now at learning new things etc and it’s obvious that a lot of my technique has improved, but I still can’t get over that sloppiness even with very familiar things. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Record your playing, not just in the band but isolated guitar, playing with overdrive is hard as well if you ain't muting strings properly. I used to be really bad at palm muting and not letting harmonics ring out on the thinner strings. I have a noisy rig so now its even harder to control but I'm better at it!

The other obvious answer would be to get a tutor, playing with other people helps you improve and you get instant feedback. I don't know where you're based but I am a private tutor, I do lessons via Skype too. Just sayin'
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    if you're paying someone £20-£30 an hour for their services and they laugh at you, either to your face or behind your back, then they are probably in the wrong job.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Teachers almost never laugh at students, unless they say something funny.

Seriously, go have some lessons and work hard.
    That is all a music teacher asks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have never laughed at someone for playing badly, it doesn't do anything for their confidence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    delorean said:

After 20 years of playing, I would have expected to be quite good (or at least ‘above average’), however I’m really decidedly average (if that), and I’m trying now to rectify that by expanding my base of techniques, learning some new scales and broadening my musical horizons in general.

One of the big problems I have – apart from my alternate picking speed/consistency, my little finger strength, not knowing enough scales, or notes, or chords, or any theory – is that I’m quite a sloppy player.

I mainly play covers in a band and so I know what I need to play and when to play it – however when I listen back to recordings, I hear accidental open strings, fluffed notes, missed notes, over-bends, phrasing that’s all over the place.  I’ve no idea how to fix this as when I’m playing I’m just not aware that I’m about to accidentally hit 2 strings instead of one, or that my finger is about to half fret the note on the wire rather than on the wood.

I’m honestly at a loss where to begin.  I’m entirely self taught, but even so, surely by now I should be better than just mediocre.

My home practice sessions are now just an old routine which I’m struggling to feign interest in these days – jamming along to the same backing tracks, or playing the same pentatonic shape over a blues rock backing track.  Rehearsal with the band is as fun as it’s always been but that’s only once a month.

I’m primarily a singer, so I comfort myself by thinking I’m at least a far better singer than I am a guitarist, and that’s what counts - but even that justification is starting to wear a little thin.

The older I get the more down I begin feeling about it all.  Throwing money at the problem in the form of new gear masks the feeling temporarily but it eventually comes back.

Go and see @Clarky , he sorted out (or substantially improved) all of those for me in a number of months :)

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    sev112 said:
    delorean said:

Go and see @Clarky , he sorted out (or substantially improved) all of those for me in a number of months :)

thanks for the shout...

@delorean If you would like help just bung me a PM and we'll see what we can sort out
    play every note as if it were your first
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    So much of that sounds painfully familiar.  A few of you will hear my hamfisted attempts to play on Saturday.

@Clarky - you're quite local to me, I think?  I may be in touch.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    So much of that sounds painfully familiar.  A few of you will hear my hamfisted attempts to play on Saturday.

@Clarky - you're quite local to me, I think?  I may be in touch.
    no probs matey... bung me a PM when you're ready
    play every note as if it were your first
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I'm 43 and self taught and have played on and off for 22 years, with a 9 year gap in the middle, until I had to try and play in time for the jam on saturday I had never even played along to a track and have never played with anyone else so you are ahead of me!
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Lots of good advice above. The thing that works for me is practicing plugged in, more or less all the time.

If I practice unplugged, I find sloppy picking habits creep in and my right hand muting (esp. with gain) gets lazy.

Also, getting a tutor, and taking lessons is good. I've only ever had one lesson on electric, but when I took classical lessons, I made so much more progress in a short time than I'd ever have made on my own. Just having a disinterested, but sympathetic and knowledgeable, third party look at your playing is super useful. The focus that comes from having to prep for lessons is also good.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!  It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in feeling like this!!

Sounds like a few lessons are probably the way forward from here - @Clarky / @Lestratcaster I'll drop you guys a line =)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited May 2018
    anyone got any tips for a good teacher near M40/M25

...it’s for a friend...  ahem...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mike Outram is in Ealing, I think. On a jazzy vein. 
    I’m based in West London near the airport.
  • Matt_McG said:
    I would love to have some lessons with Mike but he’s a little pricey at £80ph...he’s probably worth that given his experience but may be overkill for the mortals amongst us.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Matt_McG said:
    I would love to have some lessons with Mike but he’s a little pricey at £80ph...he’s probably worth that given his experience but may be overkill for the mortals amongst us.
    Guys like that usually end up teaching other professionals (or very serious hobbyists) who are looking for specific knowledge they can't get elsewhere.
    I had one or two lessons with him some years back (5 or 6 years). I think my wife was pregnant at the time, and I just never found the time after. I enjoyed and got a lot out of the lesson(s), though, so I'd definitely go back. I wouldn't particularly mind the price, but I wouldn't be expecting to be having weekly lessons (which is not really how tutors like that work).

His ElectricCampfire site is very good, if you have the time to do the stuff.
    Matt_McG said:
    £80 per hour?! Shit Im way too cheap haha.