Now I am not religious in the slightest, but...

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
... I do love a good bit of gospel. Listen to that fucking bass. Really nice solo at 4:35 which I may try to learn...

"Gospel chops" is a well-recognised phrase among muso circles for a reason - most of these guys, whether on bass, drums, guitar or keys, could rip almost anyone a new one on their respective instruments. Catchy tunes too. A million miles from insipid Christian rock.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    Keeping away from the religion part, I have in the past played with a lot of Gospel musicians. With very few exceptions in my experience they have a very good grasp of groove, harmony, improvisation and don't overplay. 

I have learnt a lot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Siiick bass playing, cheers for that. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yeah the bass playing is particularly nuts. Love that tone as well.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    If you could get that in church on a Sunday morning in Bromley, I'd be there.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    rlw said:
    If you could get that in church on a Sunday morning in Bromley, I'd be there.
    Me too and I live no-where near Bromley!
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    I'd have thought there would be quite a lot of gospel services in the south London area - after all Mica Paris came from Lewisham didn't she?
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I love gospel music and this floats my boat like you wouldn't believe. Brilliant stuff :+1:   :) 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    I love gospel music and this floats my boat like you wouldn't believe. Brilliant stuff :+1:   :) 
    You might want to have a look at this frankly astonishing bass cover then...

• RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    Bucket said:
    equalsql said:
    You might want to have a look at this frankly astonishing bass cover then...

Impressive stuff but it does not work for me musically.  The guy can play.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Impressive stuff but it does not work for me musically.  The guy can play.....
    The GROOOVE though.

The fact he locks so seamlessly into the groove and nails every note, while also dropping in such fluid, technically masterful but still musical fills. It's exactly the kind of bass playing that really excites me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    To me, the music is cool, but the subject matter is an extension of the TV evangelists.