NGD...

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4126
edited May 2018 in Acoustics
Picked up from @WillEdmunds this afternoon. I’d been watching it in the classifieds for months and eventually couldn’t resist anymore. A 2007 Collings CW Indian A (for Adirondack). 

https://imgur.com/gallery/6NYGpWl

Pictured on the right here next to its D1A stablemate.

First order of business was to get some 13s on it (there were 12s on there) and then drop the action by about 1/32”. First time working on a long saddle, which has to be lowered from the top not sanded from the bottom like a drop in saddle. Turned out fine. I haven’t bothered re-compensating the saddle - it really doesn’t sound like it needs it (for how I play anyway).

First impressions - loud (but not as forceful as the mahogany bodied D1A), and the enlarged sound hole seems to do what people say thy do ... make the bass sound drier and less whompy and make the highs a little less bright but with more body. I like it a lot.

Will post a vid once the strings have played in a bit.

Many thanks to Will for a very smooth and easy transaction!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Looks terrific, happy ngd.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Proper ngd there, well done. 
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    Lovely guitar. I do like the Collings’ sound. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4288

Congrats Lewy.

Enjoy.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Damn that's tasty. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Congrats. Do you think the “A” makes a noticeable difference?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    jellyroll said:
    Definitely. Not necessarily better for all players/styles, but absolutely noticeable.

With all other things being equal (which of course they never are) the stiffer Adirondack has more headroom and punch so for bluegrassers/flatpickers who prize true acoustic projection, there is a distinct advantage. But it wouldn't be my choice for a guitar that I wanted to do a lot of delicate fingerstyle with, or one I wanted to put light strings on.

In terms of species of spruce for tops, for me Adirondack is out on its own....again in terms of sound and response, not necessarily quality/merit. I've found the differences between the other commonly used spruce species(sitka, german, engelman) to be noticeable to the extent that I could hear a difference between them but couldn't go "ah...that's German spruce". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    When I saw it had sold I knew it was you :-) 

Congrats 
    Red ones are better. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Lewy said:
    jellyroll said:
    Definitely. Not necessarily better for all players/styles, but absolutely noticeable.

With all other things being equal (which of course they never are) the stiffer Adirondack has more headroom and punch so for bluegrassers/flatpickers who prize true acoustic projection, there is a distinct advantage. But it wouldn't be my choice for a guitar that I wanted to do a lot of delicate fingerstyle with, or one I wanted to put light strings on.

In terms of species of spruce for tops, for me Adirondack is out on its own....again in terms of sound and response, not necessarily quality/merit. I've found the differences between the other commonly used spruce species(sitka, german, engelman) to be noticeable to the extent that I could hear a difference between them but couldn't go "ah...that's German spruce". 
    Thanks @Lewy. I’ve learned something. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Lewy said

Definitely my favourite top wood. Have owned a boat load of acoustics, and there has been a definite trend of the best ones having Adi. And I don't just mean for dreads. Although I am not a great finger style player, I think it is absolutely a great wood for that style of guitar, with light strings etc, if the builder knows what the are doing.

I personally think it is the best all rounder.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3490
    Lewy said:

A very nice pair of Collings, IMO they seem to be the pick of contemporary USA acoustic factory guitar makers. 

When it comes to Red Spruce/Adirondack it's usually is heavier than the other spruces used for making guitars (Englemann, Sitka & European) and is seen to be stiffer as well.  In addition to 'headroom and punch' I'd say something associated with it as well as volume and clarity and a lack of compression. 

One issue with Red Spruce is again something of an opinion but many do observe it takes a while longer than the other spruces to 'break in', but this is something to be a divisive subject at best. 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    very tasty!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    nice looking guitars but I couldn't play on 13s
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Got round to recording a quick clip ....

https://youtu.be/pcndPN2RPkQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom