COMPOSITION CHALLENGE #22

What's Hot

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    edited May 2018
    Its so annoying, I really wanted to enter this one but I've just run out of time. Hopefully the next one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    I've sort of got something but don't think it's good enough... :-/
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    oaf said:
    I've sort of got something but don't think it's good enough... :-/
    Go for it. You never know... 

@bezzer - sad to hear that. I was looking forward to something twisted 
    @flying_pie next one for sure!  I've got the week off work next week PURELY to write music.  Will see what demented noise rock I can make fit the task :)

I suppose I could've submitted my new track as "Trying to be Satch" but I've already stuck it on soundcloud and I think I started it before the challenge.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Bezzer said:
    @flying_pie next one for sure!  I've got the week off work next week PURELY to write music.  Will see what demented noise rock I can make fit the task :)

I suppose I could've submitted my new track as "Trying to be Satch" but I've already stuck it on soundcloud and I think I started it before the challenge.
    I don't think any of that matters, a few comp challenges ago I asked if I could submit a song I wrote and released a few years earlier and the answer was yes.  Some other former contestants chimed in to say they have done that on earlier comps.   Maybe @stratman3142 ; can shed some light.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

I'm sure you could still submit it @Bezzer I reckon stratman will be happy to have more entries and not that precious about rules. 

If not then can you post a link to yer Soundcloud so we can hear it?
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Bezzer said:

I don't think any of that matters, a few comp challenges ago I asked if I could submit a song I wrote and released a few years earlier and the answer was yes.  Some other former contestants chimed in to say they have done that on earlier comps.   Maybe @stratman3142 ; can shed some light.
    I'm sure you could still submit it @Bezzer I reckon stratman will be happy to have more entries and not that precious about rules. 

If not then can you post a link to yer Soundcloud so we can hear it?

Yes, it's good to get entries. The rules are extremely elastic. I'm not aware there's a rule against submitting something you've already written anyway. Which reminds me, I must read the rules myself sometime :) 

It's not a competition.
    Ha ha ... OK, then I'll send it over later.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Well, I've entered re-worked versions of stuff I've recorded a few times in the past.

I had an idea for this challenge and did a session on a rough arrangement and drum track but I haven't even touched a guitar since. I don't think there's any hope of completing it by the deadline. I'd still like to enter something so I might have to look through my unused 'back catalogue' myself (so many incomplete recording projects!).

Maybe the theme could be 'recycling'? ;)
    OK, track submitted.

The theme really was "how much can I sound like Satriani" ... I guess the answer is not much but we shall see!

Interesting fun facts ... this was the first time I've played keyboards in a VERY long time ... and it was also the first track recorded entirely using the new Majesty 7 and Helix Native, the acoustic in there is the piezo on the Majesty.

My PC hasn't quite got the grunt to run superior drummer, EastWest samples and 16 instances of Helix Native so I had to go old school and bounce tracks as I went ... and reamping needed, back three saves, amend, export, repeat.  Was quite the learning curve on that one.

Ah well see if you like it, constructive crit as always is very welcome.
  • Just submitted my track and i think i will continue with the "Wine, beer and spirits" theme.
    Last time was "atmospheric beer acoustics", this time "teenage drunk punk rock memories" .
    Looking forward to all your entries.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Very basic track submitted
    Excellent. A bit of a spurt at the end :) Three more entries. 

It's not a competition.
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Did this close last night or does it close end of play tonight? :)
    oaf said:
    Did this close last night or does it close end of play tonight? :)

It closes at midnight tonight, so there's still time.

It's not a competition.
    @Bezzer @DeeplyDazzled and @kin ;

I need to check the tiles of your pieces as "
     entrants need to decide on their own theme and reflect that theme in the title of their composition"

I propose to use the following titles, unless you tell me otherwise
    @Bezzer : proposed title : "trying to sound like Satch"
    @DeeplyDazzled : proposed title : "
    teenage drunk punk rock memories"
    @kin : proposed title : proposed title : "laid back"

@DeeplyDazzled you sent me loads of good info on your track. Perhaps you could post that on the voting thread when I set it up tomorrow.

It's not a competition.
    edited May 2018
    @stratman3142 ;;Man that’s not what it’s called ha ha ... go for “Love In Space : ...” 

it it makes the same point, and sound like track 2 from a concept album ... and it was also part of the theme in mind.
    Bezzer said:
    @stratman3142 ;;Man that’s not what it’s called ha ha ... go for “Love In Space : ...” 

it it makes the same point, and sound like track 2 from a concept album ... and it was also part of the theme in mind.
    OK. Got it.

This is proving a bit more complicated than I thought :) I guess it's best if entrants post some info on their theme in the voting thread when I start it tomorrow, if they feel the need.

It's not a competition.
    stratman3142 said:

This is proving a bit more complicated than I thought :) I guess it's best if entrants post some info on their theme in the voting thread when I start it tomorrow, if they feel the need.

I think a biog/press release is a good idea and would support it being part of the process. Yes it might influence votes and detract from the "pure musicality" but isn't that a huge part of the music business anyway?

It would be up to the entrant to decide how creative they want to be. The downside is that it may lead to a lot of prose being in the third person... :)