Windows 10 hasn't been good for me

What's Hot
I bought a new machine last year, and about 3/6 months ago I had to do a fresh install because of an updater corruption. Now the same thing has happened again and I'm really not keen to waste another day doing a fresh install and re-installing all my software. I'm going to permanently install Lubuntu and try as much as possible to use that; I'll keep windows on there for Cubase etc, but apart from that i hope to avoid it. I have a laptop with Vista on, which was supposed to be the shittiest version of Windows, but it's never given me any trouble.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    it's shite. Our software uses drag and drop functionality which doesn't work on certain versions of Windows 10, because there's a well known global issue with the drag and drop functioning correctly (presumably due to trying to shoe-horn in touch screen functionality), which Microsoft has refused to sort out yet. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    I’ve not long ago just bought a new machine with Windows’s 10 myself. Not had any issues with it yet, touch wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I've got a laptop with 10 on, which I bought in part so I could update my Katana ;)  I've done the update recently and it still works, but I don't like it much.

My daily PC is an old Compaq tower running Vista, which has run pretty much trouble free for years.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I truly loathe W10 and the fact you have to buy X, Y and Z to bring it up to the standard W7 was for free.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I hate it too, latest update asks for data mining permissions too, If I could I would just go back to win 7 on all my machines.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I've never used a flawless OS in my life, but Windows 10 is as good as any IMHO, and usually each release makes it a bit better (except you anniversary update, you git).

It is very much horses for courses.  The old "I've used Windows 7 since I warr a larrd and see narr reason to change" just makes me think "well don't then".  It's not like anyone is going to put a gun to your head.

If you want to use older versions of software, no reason not to dig out an old Windows 98 box if you really want to.  Just keep it off the internet.  Why not use Virtualbox though...?

I think the OP is correct in his conclusion.  If you don't want Windows 10 looking at a lightweight but supported Linux distro like Lubuntu is better than sticking with an OS you can guarantee will have known flaws MS will no longer fix.

The other question, the one MS really fear is "do I need a PC at all" when a phone can do most of what a PC can.  I personally like having one but flat refuse to spend money on replacing a good one to get more spec.  Mine has an i3-2125 (and I see narr reason to change, geroff my larnd, etc)

I'm in the insider program so have been using Win 10 1803 for quite some time, I'd actually recommend it!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Love it, no issues for me at all after switching  from Mac a year or so ago. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Sorry to state the obvious, but backing up is your get out of jail card for anything that happens with Windows 10.

Failed updates, Malware, Ransomware attempts, hard drive failure.
    If you have a decent machine, backing up your C drive will take a few minutes and restore takes about 6 minutes for me.

Just like having a time machine.

Acronis True Image has been reliable (for me) for the past 15 years but is not free. Macrium Reflect is just as good and is free.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    edited May 2018
    Windows 10 asks for data mining permissions, which you can to some extent deny.  Previous versions just didn't ask for permission.  Surely this is an improvement?

For the last month I've been tearing my hair out because we run webinars from our office and one by one on each of our PCs gotomeeting has stopped working with our webcams and microphones.  Two of the webcams are Microsoft Lifecams and I assumed that the latest update had become incompatible with the drivers for the device.  Eventually yesterday I discovered that the reason they weren't working was because they were respecting my Windows setting preference to disallow cameras and microphones.  Changed my preference and everything is now hunky dory.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    My wife had that problem. I fixed it with a manual update. You could try that.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 996
    The updater has frozen. I have cleared the cache, uninstalled the last one etc etc, but nothing changes. The system restore won't work either, so it's a fresh install or nothing.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    I'm running Windows 7 on a desk top box. Haven't done a Windows update since 2015, and the computer runs just fine. I don't do anything with recording software on it tho'. Watching the Champions League final live on line last Saturday made it huff and puff a bit ! 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I've recently installed PiHole on my network and I couldn't believe the number of blocked attempts to contact Microsoft's telemetry servers. When I also looked at the other stuff it wants I just thought "fuck it, I'm not having this". There's NO REASON why Microsoft would need this unless they want to sell me something or use my data to sell to other people who want to sell me stuff.

I bought myself another SSD, and installed Ubuntu 18.04 on it. Pretty much all software I need has Linux versions. I have Thunderbird (using IMAP so all my mail is there), Firefox so all my bookmarks came across, LibreOffice for any office stuff I might need. I can access my Dropbox from the desktop and VLC will access my NAS. My printer works, my webcam works, and there's even a version of Skype if I need it. I have occasional uses for Audacity, FileZilla and Handbrake which are all in the repositories.

The only thing it doesn't do well is gaming, which isn't really a big draw for me anyway. Linux Steam isn't as slick as the Windows version and it doesn't have all the games I want (although it does have a decent selection). My Steamlink box and Steam Big Picture don't work quite right either, but it's not a chore to reboot into Windows as I still have my Windows partition and boot into it once per week to get the updates.

I'm in a technical job and dropping into the console wouldn't scare my but I've only had to do it a couple of times for some SSH stuff which most people really wouldn't need anyway.

As long as I'm using a desktop machine, I really can't see myself going back to Windows as a daily driver.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Is Windows 10 any better on a Microsoft laptop?  You would think there should be better integration with their own hardware.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    TBH it doesn't really matter what brand it is, you can get W10 to run pretty well on most laptops from the past 5 years or so. If it runs W7 then it will almost certainly run W10. You need a decent amount of RAM and it's best running an SDD rather than an HDD.

However, if you're asking about Microsoft, they are having horrendous reliability problems with their Surface laptops/tablets and the things are virtually irreparable unlike HP and Lenovo equivalents of the same device.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Garthy said:
    I truly loathe W10 and the fact you have to buy X, Y and Z to bring it up to the standard W7 was for free.
    I sacked off windows 10 after they forced the upgrade on me with a trick, they swapped the "ignore" and "upgrade" buttons over on the pop up one day and that was that. I have put my machine back to windows 7 with disc images from online (perfectly legally) and it works rather well again now.

W10 failed to work despite me using 6gb of ram, a SSD hard drive and all manner of supposed tricks to speed it up, just slow as shit all the time and battery life was about 40% of what it now is on W7
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    is anyone using a W10 machine but with a dual boot setup to go into W7??

I want to do this so I can copy over my existing W7 setup lock stock and barrel onto a newer laptop that comes with W10 on a SSD but has a 2nd HDD too...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    is anyone using a W10 machine but with a dual boot setup to go into W7??

I want to do this so I can copy over my existing W7 setup lock stock and barrel onto a newer laptop that comes with W10 on a SSD but has a 2nd HDD too...
    I accidentally did this when trying to go back to W7 fully but redid it when i realised
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    The updater has frozen. I have cleared the cache, uninstalled the last one etc etc, but nothing changes. The system restore won't work either, so it's a fresh install or nothing.
    Have you tried booting from a USB and trying "repair my computer"?  I think that is still there on the latest media, though you do need another working PC to use the media creation tool.

The other thing to try is removing any additional hardware you don't need to boot, so any usb devices, expansion cards (especially wifi) and so forth.  Windows 10 can get a bit funny if one of it's drivers doesn't suffice to get hardware working.

I had a similar problem when upgrading from the first to second release of Win 10 on my home PC, I removed my wifi card and plugged the pc in by the router and it worked, then turned if off, put the card back in, and it installed first time.

I believe it still lets you install fresh alongside your old install as well, so you can put a fresh install on and recover your files etc from the old one.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    How secure is Win 7 though? What happens when it goes EOL ?  What will you do then ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.