Possibly the worst sound on record?

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Edith Piaf screeching like someone's fingernails dragged down a blackboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    edited May 2018
    The close miked, heavily reverbed snare drum sounds that ruined many rock records during the mid-late 80s. 

While we're at it, any 80s guitar sound that's been overdone with Chorus pedal effects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Trude said:

The electric guitar on T.Rex's Electric Warrior LP is pretty dire as well.
    I'm not having that! That album was what made me pick up an electric guitar. The songs, grooves and tones are top drawer. He may have been more of a poser than a player, but he made up for it with sheer creative abandon.
    It was the tones I didn't like. the songs/grooves are in my take-it-or-leave-it department. It was the Bluesbreakers' Beano album that made me pick up the electric guitar, I think that once you've listened to it any other use of the LP doesn't really come close until you start considering what happens when you use FX (and then you need to start listening to Andy Latimer). But hey, you're as entitled as me to like what you like and dislike what you don't.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Paloma Faith is pretty ropey, but nothing like as terrible live as Emeli Sande.

Metal Machine Music is just unlistenable nonsense.

Neil Young sounds like a doddery old fucker in the corner of a pub singing incoherent bollocks whilst drunk, whilst someone attacks a badly tuned guitar with blunt spanners, plugged into an amplifier that has been run over by Motorhead's road crew. Dreadful, deadful, dreadful. Just. Make. It. Stop.

Zappa's lyrics. Just. No. NOT funny or clever. Most of got over that shit when we were 15.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    impmann said:

I really must get this - I've never heard it, but given how much I like most of the stuff everyone here hates, it will probably be in my top ten albums of all time...

:)

impmann said:

Neil Young sounds like a doddery old fucker in the corner of a pub singing incoherent bollocks whilst drunk, whilst someone attacks a badly tuned guitar with blunt spanners, plugged into an amplifier that has been run over by Motorhead's road crew. Dreadful, deadful, dreadful. Just. Make. It. Stop.
    Exactly ;).

Probably the best gig I've ever been to - Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the SECC about five years ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Talk boxes. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sesh said:
    Talk boxes. 
    I don't like them either. Or guitars through a Leslie.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I dislike talk boxes through Leslies.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    impmann said:

I really must get this - I've never heard it, but given how much I like most of the stuff everyone here hates, it will probably be in my top ten albums of all time...
    So, I have now listened to Metal Machine Music. (Yes, all of it .)

It's not the worst thing I've ever heard. But it is very difficult to listen to, and I have no real desire to again. The problem isn't so much the sound - I find screaming metal vocals far more grating (as well as Roy Buchanan's Telecaster ) - but the relentless, almost structureless drone of it. And I should say that I do have other examples of 'noise as music' - not just Neil Young's Arc - which I actually like.

As an art concept I think it makes sense, and I think it's important that someone did it. As music... probably not so much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Has anyone said Yoko Ono yet?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    GnR, Metallica and the new breed of Soul RbB artists such as Bruno Mars, no soul OR swing, just facile plastic dross
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Has anyone said Yoko Ono yet?
    Listen to some of her later stuff - she’s not bad at all. The shrieking noise-art she’s mostly known for was really just a brief experimental phase. She was brilliant a Glastonbury a few years ago... at the age of about 82 :).

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    sweepy said:
    ...Bruno Mars, no soul OR swing, just facile plastic dross

Oh dear.

Bruno Mars is a very talented songwriter, musician, and performer. You may not like what he does (I'm not a huge fan, to be honest) but to say it has "no soul or swing" is, frankly, absurd.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    ICBM said:

It's not the worst thing I've ever heard. But it is very difficult to listen to, and I have no real desire to again.

[snip]

As an art concept I think it makes sense, and I think it's important that someone did it. As music... probably not so much.
    In that case @ICBM you're in fairly exclusive company...

"No one I know, including myself, has listened to it all the way through.  It is not meant to be." Lou Reed, original liner notes to Metal Machine Music.

• Anything by Jeff Beck
    The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    sweepy said:
    ...Bruno Mars, no soul OR swing, just facile plastic dross

Oh dear.

Bruno Mars is a very talented songwriter, musician, and performer. You may not like what he does (I'm not a huge fan, to be honest) but to say it has "no soul or swing" is, frankly, absurd.
    Go back and listen to bands playing soul and funk from the 70’s and 80’s, I’m afraid Bruno Mars’s music sounds stilted and stiffer than a Dead Parrot ;)
    Anything by Jeff Beck
    sharpen the pitchforks! light the bonfires! burn the heretic!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robinbowes said:

He may be talented as a musician, but his music is still soulless facile plastic dross. He comes across as unbelieveably full of himself too.

ICBM said:

"No one I know, including myself, has listened to it all the way through.  It is not meant to be." Lou Reed, original liner notes to Metal Machine Music.
    lol

Well that will teach me to download it and not read the instructions :).

To be fair, I didn’t actually listen to it all in one go - although all in one evening.

• jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    Billy Corgan singing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Billy Corgan singing. 
    Closely followed by Ed Kowalcyk (sp?) of Live...