Oily Towers: the latest from Oil City pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• hope this is the right place to ask, im assembling a partscaster, p90 neck and std tele bridge pickup, what goes best with your firewatch p90 ?
    im looking for bluesy , not too high gain tone ?

cheers
    ian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    I personally use my HardMan or Diesel tap. The Hard Man balances nicely with a Firewatch and is warm without being super high gain. Classic punchy Tele with a bit more oomph than standard. The Diesel Tap is basically a HardMan with a lower output option that you can put on a push/pull switch. Traditional Tele or slightly hotter ... with no disadvantages.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ah thanks , hardman looks the one for me , though i just noticed the alligator p90! hmmm 
    i will head over to your online store, cheers

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Hey Ash, are you still planning on assembling wiring kits?
    tFB Trader
    Yep ... what were you after?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Was thinking of doing up my LTD, it would be for HH with 2 volume, 1 tone and 3 way switch. It's an Eclipse (LP) shape so the 3 way is the maximum distance away from everything else.

It's quite thin and a flat top so I'm not sure of the shaft lengths required but will remove on and have a look.
    tFB Trader
    The ideal would be to send me the old harness, that makes lengths and distances really easy to copy. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited May 2018
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;

I have a friend who thinks that he might want to change the metal cover on a pre-owned, out of warranty Winterizer II humbucker. How much wax has been used in the air gap between the bobbins and the cover?
    Be seeing you.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited May 2018
    Hi Ash,
    What are the specs on your Winterizer picks ups? Neck and bridge DCR, magnet types and wire guage etc. Does the Winterizer incorperate the ferrous reflector plate and wood spacers as found in the early models?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    Does the Winterizer incorperate the ferrous reflector plate and wood spacers as found in the early models?
    See the opening post of this thread. <epic facepalm>

equalsql said:
    Neck and bridge DCR, magnet types and wire guage etc. 
    Some of the boring statistics used to appear on the OCP website. They vanished in the early 2018 redesign.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I know nothing of website design, but Ash, why does the Oil City site make my laptop have a heart attack?

A single page takes a tragic 30+ seconds to load, my CPU is running at 80% of its total capacity, the fan comes on like a turbo kicking in and somewhere not far away a flop-eared bunny dies. 

Are you using massive resolution photos?
    The mid-2018 OCP web site has a lot of photographic content. For instance, many of the Masterwound models are illustrated with two photographs rather than one. The second image is revealed only when your cursor rolls into the *frame* area. This trick is achieved with page layout code. Computers have to load all of the page content regardless of how much of it is required by an individual site visitor.

My guess is that the majority of potential purchasers find the replacement pickups that they think they want by sight rather than by comparing specification statistics. (Who is to say that they are wrong?)
    Be seeing you.
    equalsql said:
    Does the Winterizer incorperate the ferrous reflector plate and wood spacers as found in the early models?
    See the opening post of this thread. <epic facepalm>

equalsql said:
    Neck and bridge DCR, magnet types and wire guage etc. 
    Some of the boring statistics used to appear on the OCP website. They vanished in the early 2018 redesign.
    I like boring statistics  :)
    I saw the reference to the Winterizer 2s but just wanted to confirm about the originals.
    tFB Trader
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;

I have a friend who thinks that he might want to change the metal cover on a pre-owned, out of warranty Winterizer II humbucker. How much wax has been used in the air gap between the bobbins and the cover?
    Quite a lot!
    Re Winterizers: All Winterizers vintage size or HB size use a ferrous inductor plate as per the originals. The wire is 42awg plain enamel as with the originals, and the magnets are alnico 5 (twin bars in the bobbin centres ... exactly as in the original. DCR is around 6.7 neck, 7.5k bridge.

Gratuitous photograph.

https://i.imgur.com/Sq3KY9s.jpg?1
    Be seeing you.
    tFB Trader
    Gratuitous photograph.

https://i.imgur.com/Sq3KY9s.jpg?1
    Have to say they look bloody lovely in their new home

This month, I have been mostly finding the combination of these pickups and the Paul Reed Smith S2 Singlecut more enjoyable than I expected. I worried that the maple cap might detract from the 'Bird sound I was after. Now, I suspect that the maple is contributing some of the hard/brightness that the walnut does in the Gibson.

equalsql said:
    I saw the reference to the Winterizer 2s but just wanted to confirm about the originals.
    I have no vintage original pickups or guitar with which to make A/B comparisons. I can report, however, that the Winterizers are sufficiently close that they reproduce that phenomenon of the bridge/Treble position pickup being ever so slightly less powerful than one might wish.

In my opinion, this apparent weakness is actually the pickup pair's greatest strength. Put the selector switch in the Both position. Roll the bridge/Treble pickup volume down to 8 or thereabouts. Revel in those Blues-Rock tones. :)
    Be seeing you.
    tFB Trader
    This month, I have been mostly finding the combination of these pickups and the Paul Reed Smith S2 Singlecut more enjoyable than I expected. I worried that the maple cap might detract from the 'Bird sound I was after. Now, I suspect that the maple is contributing some of the hard/brightness that the walnut does in the Gibson.

equalsql said:
    I have no vintage original pickups or guitar with which to make A/B comparisons. I can report, however, that the Winterizers are sufficiently close that they reproduce that phenomenon of the bridge/Treble position pickup being ever so slightly less powerful than one might wish.

In my opinion, this apparent weakness is actually the pickup pair's greatest strength. Put the selector switch in the Both position. Roll the bridge/Treble pickup volume down to 8 or thereabouts. Revel in those Blues-Rock tones. :)
    The specs for the Winterizers came directly from vintage pickups I have had access to/rewound, or have had measurements taken from. Like you ... I love that middle position ... :-)

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    @Funkfingers tell the class about them covers, they are lovely!
    :
    edited May 2018
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;;

Quite a lot!
    Re Winterizers: All Winterizers vintage size or HB size use a ferrous inductor plate as per the originals. The wire is 42awg plain enamel as with the originals, and the magnets are alnico 5 (twin bars in the bobbin centres ... exactly as in the original. DCR is around 6.7 neck, 7.5k bridge.
    Thanks Ash..
    My order will be coming your way   :)