Windows 10 hasn't been good for me

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Emp_Fab said:
    How secure is Win 7 though? What happens when it goes EOL ?  What will you do then ?
    Will just replace the laptop then, it's seven years old now so it doesn't really owe me anything.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4613
    It's odd that some people have lots of trouble and some don't. My PC is home built has all sorts of odd components, mixed memory DIMMs both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. A really old USB add in card. Yes it runs and updates without issues.
    Yet people with pre-built machines from large manufacturers often have issues with updating.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Working on Win7 everyday I find Win10 to be so confusing outside of using a browser, especially the lack of a standard way to get back to where you were.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    It's odd that some people have lots of trouble and some don't. My PC is home built has all sorts of odd components, mixed memory DIMMs both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. A really old USB add in card. Yes it runs and updates without issues.
    Yet people with pre-built machines from large manufacturers often have issues with updating.
    Yes especially given there is no definitive help on what will or won't work, instead you get stuff like "ahh your ram/processor/whatever might be 3x higher than the spec required but it does depend on the ram/processor/whatever" then proceed to give no information whatsoever on what combination of inferior processor or Ram might be appropriate
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    Love it, no issues for me at all after switching  from Mac a year or so ago. 
    I've been an early adopter for Windows OSes since the release of Windows 95.  I've found Windows 10 to be the most trouble-free and stable OS of them all.  From memory, I've only had one BSOD and that was because I pulled the power on my audio interface accidentally.  Boot times are amazing too.  I'm forced to use Windows 7 at work and it feels clunky and lacking in features in comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Bod said:
    Love it, no issues for me at all after switching  from Mac a year or so ago. 
    I've been an early adopter for Windows OSes since the release of Windows 95.  I've found Windows 10 to be the most trouble-free and stable OS of them all.  From memory, I've only had one BSOD and that was because I pulled the power on my audio interface accidentally.  Boot times are amazing too.  I'm forced to use Windows 7 at work and it feels clunky and lacking in features in comparison.
    I didn't use Win 7 that much but the wife has stuck with it because of something called stereo mix not being in Win 10. The Mac was starting to feel a bit sluggish and the kids wanted a gaming PC so I begrudgingly bought one, partly because buying a decent spec Mac would have been a ridiculous price. There's not much I miss to be honest as I only use computers for the basics and making music nowadays. There's niggles with Windows 10 like anything else but nothing that stops me doing what I need. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I’ve been a Mac guy for 20 years or more, and I’ve always struggled with Windows, but the prices of New macs are mental these days. So when I was having big problems with my old Mac, recently, I took a punt on a decent Windows 10 machine, and it’s been brilliant. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Win 10 is fine with the exception of forced updates, which often do some bizarre driver updates which are completely wrong and cause all kinds of problems. We had a few Toshiba Satellites in the shop with failed keyboards despite no spill damage and I thought is was a bit of a coincidence .... on further inspection Windows update had updated the keyboard driver to a Lenovo type that used custom scan codes for FN control of various shit but that rendered half the keys on the Toshiba's keyboard non functional. Other update problems have included overwriting manufacturers wifi drivers with more modern but slight wrong generic drivers and the same case with audio drivers meaning the audio still works but the jack detection circuit doesn't work because that's specific to what switching jacks are wired on the laptop motherboard.

It's more a problem on hardware that's customised from the standard generic chip reference circuit. For example the Dell Latitude uses an IDT audio chip but it's been implementation has been customised for the Latitude board .... it needs the Dell driver, likewise the VGA and the wifi. Windows trying to update drivers just causes more problems than it will ever solve

Put Win 10 on a machine with no net connection and it's flawless. It's the updates that cause all the grieve 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    If it's any consolation I recently switched to a Mac with work and the last OS update hosed my machine (nearly new MBP).  Had to restore from backup
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176

Windows 10 hasn't been good for me anyone

FTFY, mate.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 998
    The forced updates seem to be the thing that is getting people annoyed more than anything else. If they worked well then users would probably be happy to accept them, but it doesn't seem to be the case as problems seem extremely common.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    The forced updates seem to be the thing that is getting people annoyed more than anything else. If they worked well then users would probably be happy to accept them, but it doesn't seem to be the case as problems seem extremely common.
    You have to pay for an enterprise license to properly manage your W10 updates.  The logic goes that home users can't be trusted to keep on top of security updates
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Hattigol said:

Windows 10 hasn't been good for me anyone

FTFY, mate.
    Speak for yourself.  I like Win 10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    crunchman said:
    Hattigol said:

Windows 10 hasn't been good for me anyone except Crunchman

FTFY, mate.
    Speak for yourself.  I like Win 10.
    FTFY
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is going off topic a bit now, but trying to install Linux and have a dual boot system is no longer easy! It seems that the old style BIOS system has changed and that now there is a thing called UEFI.

I've now spent hours trying to get Linux to dual boot, but the UEFI/BIOS just keeps overriding it in favour of Microsoft which is the only 'authorised' system. Having ploughed through countless sites and tried countless pieces of advice, i am still no further forward. Cheers Microsoft and Intel!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 998
    edited June 2018
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    What machine is it ? you need to enter the bios to change the UFI to legacy 

Dell F2
    HP \ Compaq F11
    Clone Delete key is common or F2 after escape

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I haven't tried that step yet, mainly because the posts that I have seen on this say that it doesn't work. It's an Acer. I don't want to totally kill the machine, which has happened to some users it seems, so I'm doing this very gingerly. To be honest, I'm not even sure that that option is available to me as the editing possibilities on my BIOS are very limited indeed.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I haven't tried that step yet, mainly because the posts that I have seen on this say that it doesn't work. It's an Acer. I don't want to totally kill the machine, which has happened to some users it seems, so I'm doing this very gingerly. To be honest, I'm not even sure that that option is available to me as the editing possibilities on my BIOS are very limited indeed.

You shouldn't have to switch to Legacy because then Windows will stop working. 

You just need to change the efi boot settings. 

From within Lubuntu, do the following in the terminal:
    1. sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
    2. Now we need to inspect the current settings so type: sudo efibootmgr
    This will display the current settings, and all of the boot devices, the important things you have to look for are Timeout, Boot Order and the ID's of both the Windows Boot Manager and Lubuntu (might be called Ubuntu)

3. Now we need to change the settings, first the timeout, sudo efibootmgr -t 10

4. Now just to be safe you want to change the boot order to put Lubuntu before windows.

As an example if you have the following boot settings:
    Boot0001: Windows
    Boot0002: Lubuntu
    Boot0003: CD Drive
    Boot0004: USB
    You usually want to keep USB and CD before all of the others. So then do the command sudo efibootmgr -o 4,3,2,1
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    A little bit off topic, but I have Windows 10 on both an original Surface Book and my Custom Build PC and have had very few problems.

The last thing was happened was due to my bootloader being corrupted on my PC and refusing to load the OS, but I managed to fix that with a recovery disk, still not sure what caused it.

The Surface Book had some issues earlier on but it's really solid now.