Vandalising a high end acoustic

What's Hot
jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
Any advice on installing strap buttons on a high end acoustic? The guitar has no end pin (not even a hole)  or neck button so I'll be getting a luthier to do the work. What is the best product - Schaller? Gotoh? Something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    If you have plans to install an onboard transducer system of any sort, the end pin will probably be a combined pin and jack socket. Typically, the hole goes through the end block, roughly halfway. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    The two options for a tail-end strap button are either a screwed-on one or a traditional tapered endpin. Either is fine, just make sure it's fitted dead centre on the join between the sides or the fillet strip, and centred between the front and back - anything else will look odd. A tapered pin is more 'classic', but actually can be risky since in rare cases it can split the endblock if the guitar is dropped on it.

The neck heel button is usually best fitted on the treble side of the heel, about halfway up - unless the heel is smoothly rounded not pointed, in which case on the centreline is best. The back of the heel (through the heel cap) is commonly done but a bad idea - it will make the guitar tip forward when on the strap, and can sometimes interfere with going into the case properly.

Any nice quality strap button is fine for the heel and the endblock if you're not using a tapered pin. I would avoid the large unplated aluminium ones, they look cheap and have a large footprint which can mark the finish. You should use a felt washer really, especially on the heel since the surface is not always exactly flat under the button.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Thanks guys.  Very helpful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Also, make sure to find out of its a bolt on or glued neck, if it’s a bolt on, contact the manufacturer or google the best fitting position for the button