your favourite offset guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    They are offset but notalot it's true, the inset centrelines are something like an inch offset.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    A firebird is about as offset as a strat.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534

My Jaguar always surprises me. If you expect it to play like an Anderson and sustain like a Les Paul, you'll be sadly disappointed. But as an inspiration machine it's utterly brilliant. And as someone who only uses two positions on a Strat, I use all of the mad switches on a Jag, such a range of sounds in there. And it just happens to be one of the best looking guitars out there.

I must say, I don't get off-sets that are basically standard guitars with a different body shape, without the quirks they miss the mark for me.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    dindude said:

My Jaguar always surprises me. If you expect it to play like an Anderson and sustain like a Les Paul, you'll be sadly disappointed. But as an inspiration machine it's utterly brilliant. And as someone who only uses two positions on a Strat, I use all of the mad switches on a Jag, such a range of sounds in there. And it just happens to be one of the best looking guitars out there.

I must say, I don't get off-sets that are basically standard guitars with a different body shape, without the quirks they miss the mark for me.

My Jag sustains like a Les Paul, even with a stock bridge, I've never played another Jag like it. 

Totally agree about with your sentiments towards telemasters and the like
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited June 2018

So far, Fender Jaguar.

Followed by Musicman Stingray HH Guitar and Fender Jazz Bass.

I've yet to play a Jazzmaster.....but I do like the shorter scale on the Jag.

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1020
    This thing. Or a Jazzmaster. Or a Reverend BC1. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    My 'Surfburst' GSP :)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    PVO_Dave said:
    My 'Surfburst' GSP :)

I think that's now my favourite offset too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    WezV said:

That said, this sounds like an excellent excuse to see the @WezV Firebird I again. 
    or we could have the Kauer inspired fanned fret i am finishing up at the moment

Since seeing this thing in various stages recently I now feel like straight fret Firebirds look wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    I quite like this at the moment...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader

??? A Firebird is an offset guitar. It is asymmetrical in design.
    Yeah it's about the waist, not overall body shape. There's a good definition over on OSG.
  • russianbearrussianbear Frets: 246

I build these
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    This one: 
    https://newyorkjazzworkshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Jaco-2_ive2vf.jpg

That said, this sounds like an excellent excuse to see the @WezV Firebird I again. 

Excellent choice, I do love a Jazz Bass.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    If we're allowing basses then the Dingwall D Bird looks awesome.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I find the whole thing quite bemusing.    Does it matter?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    WezV said:
    I find the whole thing quite bemusing.    Does it matter?
    If you’re using it as the name for your forum I guess it’s inevitable 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    i love the look of the old danelectro hornet things, recently kinda re-released as the dead-on 67. less boxy & heavy (& just too damn ubiquitous) than the jags & jms. stubby & stumpy in a cute way. but i seriously hate those pissy little lipstick single coils (only do hums). so i have never owned one.

& all danelectros are stupidly overpriced for what they are. even the re-issues. quality wise they are no better than any budget squier (the new ones i have seen anyway) so brand premium puts me off too.

but if i saw an inexpensive gutted project (no hardware/pups) on ebay i would probably bite, put my fav hums in and wear it in an offset mood, as my main & bass i want are onsets (what is the word for a non-offset?).
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...