Voting for Composition Challenge 22

What's Hot
This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread.

Thanks to all that entered the competition.

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Challenge #22

VOTING AND DATES

Voting System - voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc. 

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

Voting ends 11.30pm 14th June 2018, and the top three will be announced shortly after.

REMINDER OF GUIDELINES
For this challenge, entrants need to decide on their own theme and reflect that theme in the title of their composition. Having said that, I think it's best if entrants post on this thread to elaborate on their theme and also provide any other info they'd like to share.

Below is a playlist of the tracks

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/comp_challenge_22-2018-05

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    edited June 2018
    Since mine was confusing and multilayered ... and generally falls outside the rules in all sorts of ways allow me to explain the concept/inspriation.

I was watching Valerian again, I decided to write a mournful space love song.  So I guess that's "the theme" ... Love in Space.

That's obviously a very Satchy theme ... so then I decided to try and sound as much like Satch as possible.  So that's the "sub theme"

Hope that makes sense ... it's trying to work backwards to make the piece fit the rules I know but hey

Looking forward to listening to all the tracks on my break!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    I think this might be the best set of entries I've heard. Excellent and inventive tracks. It's going to be very difficult choosing between them.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2018
    Mine was recorded on a crappy PC in 1997 using an ancient version of Cubase and a Roland guitar synth (everything but the drums and bongos).  Entered it for a laugh really ... inspiration came from a girlfriend who took me to a nightclub in London which was mainly for Arabs. The music was catchy Middle-East disco with belly dancers .. totally bizarre place. I thought of Disc-O-asis and bashed out a cheesy Middle Eastern piece using the Spanish Phrygian scale.

Not expecting a single point ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Some info on my entry, it's loosely based on what  the theme music for a cheesy cheap detective TV series might sound like.  It attempts to be dynamic but inevitably goes over the top.  The strummed guitar is an unplugged Squier Tele, recorded with a condenser mic and then doctored with some eq and reverb.  That's the only guitar in it, the bass is a computer made MIDI file that I fully intended to replace with an actual bass recording but as time went on I decided it worked as is.  Everything else is synth, including the percussion.  I just couldn't stop using the synth, maybe it was the cheese factor it was exuding in mass quantity.  I don't know.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    My theme is Music For Squawking Seagulls, which fits with my recent move to Exmouth. I could hear seagulls squawking when I set the challenge and it was the first random thought that came into my head.

I had some difficulty in getting a decent recording of a seagull and ended up with quite a collection that also included barking dogs, lawn mowers, traffic and bawling kids. I eventually got lucky when I had my phone on record and a seagull landed on the beach next to another one that wasn't very happy. Then I had to chop up the WAV file in Reaper to attempt to create a rhythmic sound that was roughly in time.

I had no idea of how to approach it until @steamabacus mentioned the Adrian Belew seagull imitations on Youtube. This gave me the idea of using a slide and the germ of a concept that I could develop.

It's not a competition.
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    This was the picture that went with my attempt:

I was going for a (post?) Soviet feel. I wanted something that was fairly grand but rather melancholic.

I rarely write in 3/4. The piece started life as a one take improvisation on the piano which I then arranged in Reaper for orchestra.

Good luck everyone :)
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Mine concept was simple - make my own theme. 

This is the theme music for my BBC prime time guitar-based family-friendly light entertainment show - The Flying Pie Show. I had a large enough budget to commission Green Day to record it but they were unable to do it before the deadline due to touring commitments so I had to do it myself instead.

The idea was to make a lighthearted, irritatingly catchy  bubblegum/pop-punk number in their style, hence the prominent bass, lively drums and attempt at nasal vocals. And I made sure to get a seagull reference in just for stratman.

I recorded everything through using a Boss GT 100 including the vocals with a SM58 into a clean amp preamp. I really should get around to buying a condenser and proper interface at some point

Now to find some time to listen to them all 
    Okay so I've listened to them all and have no idea how to choose as they are all seriously good. There's outstanding playing and excellent compositions all round. I need to do a lot more listening to narrow it down. Good luck all 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    I've got the same problem ... they all speak to me on one level or another.  Going to be so hard choosing a top three!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited June 2018
    My initial idea was to make a proper tune out of my latest (at the time) Raw Riff of the Month entry. I actually managed a session on the guitar and computer and came up with a rough arrangement and rhythm guitar parts - but I've barely touched a guitar since and the track remains unfinished (barely started really).

As the deadline loomed a change of plan was needed. I looked through some old material and, initially, was going to enter a track I recorded for a SoundCloud project initiated by @DeeplyDazzled . But then I had a second change of plan to something more akin to the original idea.

So, my theme is 'Recycled'. It is based on an entry for Riff of the Month from about a year ago. The recording I've submitted was also recorded about a year ago but yesterday I managed to find time to give it a polish and mastering - no remixing was possible as the piece is recorded as a single stereo track 'live' onto minidisc.

All the backing comes from a Digitech JamMan looper, the drum loop initially being created on the computer using Addictive Drums and then loaded onto the JamMan as a base loop. All the other guitar parts were then layered on top of this drum loop, the bass is guitar through a TC Sub'n'Up and some of the swirly background is (probably - it was a year ago) coming from a second looper - my trusty old Line6 DL4 (great for ambient guitar mangling). An e-bow was used in the backing layers as well.

The lead guitar part (the only part not recorded on the looper) was improvised live in one take direct onto a minidisc recorder over the looper parts (I'm much more creative if I can avoid having to use a computer). Everything is recorded direct-to-desk in stereo through my fx board, Blackstar HT-5H (pre-amp section only) and a pair of Award-Session JD10 pre-amps for speaker emulation.

Yesterday, I loaded the raw minidisc recording onto my computer and mastered it using my new mastering method. For years I've just used T-Racks but I've been experimenting with a free plug-in called Limiter6, alongside a Sir Elliot graphic eq plug-in (also free) and the onboard eq in Cubase SX. My computer is powered by coal!
    Good to see the late rush of entries, by the way. Now to listen to them all ....
    My initial idea was to make a proper tune out of my latest (at the time) Raw Riff of the Month entry. I actually managed a session on the guitar and computer and came up with a rough arrangement and rhythm guitar parts - but I've barely touched a guitar since and the track remains unfinished (barely started really).

As the deadline loomed a change of plan was needed. I looked through some old material and, initially, was going to enter a track I recorded for a SoundCloud project initiated by @DeeplyDazzled . But then I had a second change of plan to something more akin to the original idea.

So, my theme is 'Recycled'. It is based on an entry for Riff of the Month from about a year ago. The recording I've submitted was also recorded about a year ago but yesterday I managed to find time to give it a polish and mastering - no remixing was possible as the piece is recorded as a single stereo track 'live' onto minidisc.

All the backing comes from a Digitech JamMan looper, the drum loop initially being created on the computer using Addictive Drums and then loaded onto the JamMan as a base loop. All the other guitar parts were then layered on top of this drum loop, the bass is guitar through a TC Sub'n'Up and some of the swirly background is (probably - it was a year ago) coming from a second looper - my trusty old Line6 DL4 (great for ambient guitar mangling). An e-bow was used in the backing layers as well.

The lead guitar part (the only part not recorded on the looper) was improvised live in one take direct onto a minidisc recorder over the looper parts (I'm much more creative if I can avoid having to use a computer). Everything is recorded direct-to-desk in stereo through my fx board, Blackstar HT-5H (pre-amp section only) and a pair of Award-Session JD10 pre-amps for speaker emulation.

Yesterday, I loaded the raw minidisc recording onto my computer and mastered it using my new mastering method. For years I've just used T-Racks but I've been experimenting with a free plug-in called Limiter6, alongside a Sir Elliot graphic eq plug-in (also free) and the onboard eq in Cubase SX. My computer is powered by coal!
    For once your coal powered PC is not the oldest .. pretty sure my PC was a Gateway (remember them) running Windows ME and Cubase whatever with a SoundBlaster card ....

Fretwired said:

For once your coal powered PC is not the oldest .. pretty sure my PC was a Gateway (remember them) running Windows ME and Cubase whatever with a SoundBlaster card ....
    Haha - in '97 I had a knackered tape 4-track and occasionally a borrowed stereo DAT recorder if I was lucky. I didn't come to computers until the 21st century so I have no idea what a Gateway  was but I did have a SoundBlaster card in my first PC, I think? (Win 95, donated by a friend).

I'd give you a bonus point simply for using the term 'Spanish Phrygian' - out of fashion these days, it seems. :)

I'd give you a bonus point simply for using the term 'Spanish Phrygian' - out of fashion these days, it seems. :)
    :-)

I had classical guitar lessons in the 1970's .. it was called the 'Spanish Gypsy' scale or Spanish Phrygian scale back then .. what's it called these days?

I used to call it the 'Steve Hillage Scale' when I first worked it out.  ;)

I see Dominant Phrygian or Altered Phrygian mode more often these days.
    I used to call it the 'Steve Hillage Scale' when I first worked it out.  ;)

I see Dominant Phrygian or Altered Phrygian mode more often these days.
    I like the Steve Hillage scale better ...

edited June 2018
    Okay. I have a confession to make. I'm not really a fan of music where the melody is played on guitar. It's unfortunate because there is a lot of fantastic playing on all those types of numbers.

I love riffs and solos, particularly on the heavier side of things, where the guitar compliments the arrangement and vocals (using vocals will always have a good chance of scoring well with me). I also like classical music.

That has influenced my scoring:

5 points @DeeplyDazzled - love the idea, love the execution and love the increasingly drunk sounding vocals. I also like Pernod but won't hold that against you.

3 points @oaf in my day job as Russian Internet troll we listen to good strong heterosexual Russian classical music like Tchaikovsky while we tell English people that Jacob Rees-Mogg is sensible man. This is good strong Russian music like bear is strong symbol of powerful heterosexual Russian men like Mr Putin. Nazdorovya 

1 point @stratman3142 brilliantly done and very humorous
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, thanks Flying Pie.

This track was recorded into Ableton Live 9 Lite The guitar is a Fender Koa Telecaster (2006), currently suffering from a   crackly jack, the accompanying picture shows the unorthodox guitar cable configuration that i use to to get around the crackly jack problem.
    Bass is an Omnishere ARP patch called Absurd Leon onto which i applied a Trilian bass sound
    Drums are from Superior Drummer.

The words hark back to my teenage years and my memories of the tastes of exotic sounding top shelf liquor.

Advocaat Pernod Cointreau Poitin

Advocaat
    Once you've drunk Advocaat
    Then you can say
    That you've drunk
    Advocaat once
    Only once
    never again
    never again

Pernod
    Once you've drunk Pernod
    Then you can say
    That you've drunk
    Pernod once
    never again
    never again

Cointreau
    Once you've drunk Cointreau
    Then you can say
    That you've drunk Cointreau
    Once
    Once or twice
    Twice or thrice
    Thrice is nice
    Cointreau

Poitin
    Once you've drunk Poitin
    Then you can say
    You've had a drink from hell

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Whoa!   I just listened to all the tracks, amazing stuff, going to take a few more run throughs to decide.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

They're great lyrics @DeeplyDazzled ;;;; I'm sure most of us can relate to them.

While we're at it I'll publish mine for those who aren't used to Scottish accents:

My Own Theme (The Flying Pie Show) 

Hey what's that in the sky?
    Is it that Icarus guy?
    Is it a seagull that's high? 
    No.
    It's the flying_pie 

He's a disaster with a Telecaster 
    He'll never master arpeggios 'cos he doesn't practice             (balls)

Fixed bridge or tremolo 
    Grab your axe let's go go go 
    Sit back relax and unwind 
    It's the Flying Pie Show
    Beware you might lose your mind 
    It's the Flying Pie Show 

Fixed bridge or tremolo 
    Grab your axe lets go go go 
    Sit back relax and unwind 
    It's the Flying Pie Show 
    No better way to spend your time 
    Than the Flying Pie Show