FINAL CALL for the party ...

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
See this thread ...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/131511/thefbs-5th-birthday-bash-open-for-bookings/p1

We're going to have to cancel this, unless we get a lot more people signing up.  It's just not viable with current numbers.

TTony said:
12 people isn't enough... Someone make more people come

FINAL CALL

Mr Legion Returns is 100% correct.  This event isn't viable with current numbers.  We either need a lot more people to sign up for it, or we'll have to cancel.

For anyone still unsure about what happens, here's the post-event comments   from  yesterday's meet-up in Woking;
http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133287/post-rats-chat-pics-clips/p1

The intention is for the Hudds event to be bigger and better.  Spreading it over the 2 days means that there'll be plenty more time for line-ups to practice beforehand, time for beers afterhand, and for a Sat eve "entertainment" event as well.

We've also got a couple of businesses pencilled in to  run mini-events during the weekend, just for us.  

But. if there's not the interest in attending, then I'm going to cancel it in the next couple of days.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Do it! It's gonna be an awesome weekend!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Just think of it as a Jam day on speed!!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    There are typically always a couple of negative comments about Jam days.
    1. They're all over too quickly, and there's never chance to do some informal jamming as well as the song list playing.
    2. Beer would be good, but as we all have to drive home afterwards, there's never any beer.

So, for Huddersfield;
    1. It's 2 days long - there'll be time to play, jam, and play again
    2. The evening session will *definitely* involve beer, as well as  some pre-prepared* musical** entertainment.

* As yet, it's not even discussed, let alone "prepared".
    ** Just remember that "musical" is a term open to interpretation.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    TTony said:
    There are typically always a couple of negative comments about Jam days.
    1. They're all over too quickly, and there's never chance to do some informal jamming as well as the song list playing.
    2. Beer would be good, but as we all have to drive home afterwards, there's never any beer.

So, for Huddersfield;
    1. It's 2 days long - there'll be time to play, jam, and play again
    2. The evening session will *definitely* involve beer, as well as  some pre-prepared* musical** entertainment.

* As yet, it's not even discussed, let alone "prepared".
    ** Just remember that "musical" is a term open to interpretation.
    We're playing a "gig" to an audience who are guaranteed not to say a *bad word about us!

*see also "intelligible"

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    After yesterdays shenanigans at water rats, all I can say is sign up for this!!!! Everyone had a good time and it was a great social!... a whole weekend like yesterday will be a blast... 

I’m due to be on my holibobs that weekend, but.... if it changes, I will gladly make the trip for the weekend...

anyone who who is in two minds about this, don’t be, you will have a great time!... sign up now!...
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Just to reiterate how brilliant the last Huddersfield jam was, and how this one promises to be even better.

To have a great attendance at this would be a superb way to show our gratitude to the team who run The Fretboard.  And also to prove that, on occasion, we can be seen actually playing our guitars rather than just talking about them :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Just to reiterate how brilliant the last Huddersfield jam was, and how this one promises to be even better.

To have a great attendance at this would be a superb way to show our gratitude to the team who run The Fretboard.  And also to prove that, on occasion, we can be seen actually playing our guitars rather than just talking about them :)
    Superbly put!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Errrr, has anyone (other than the  5 who've commented) actually seen this?

How about getting some of those NGs out for a D and playing them?  Or just bring them along for a hands-on showing off.  There'll be plenty of "look at my kit" stuff going on, as well as the various jamming sessions (formal and informal), and a couple of "how to set this thing up so it plays *really* nicely workshops ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I've been umming and ahh-ing, but I believe I could see my way to paying for it. Put me on the list.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12642
    I'd love to be there, but I'm away that weekend chap.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

I've been umming and ahh-ing, but I believe I could see my way to paying for it. Put me on the list.
    You're on lots of lists already @Phil_aka_Pip - but I'll put you on the attendees list too
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Can I put these up for anyone who may be worried about playing in a band without much practice...  I didn't play in the jam that happened on the weekend but I kind of wish I had.. It was a really fun day with good people all giving encouragement to each other....  A rare thing these days...

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Rabs said:

Can I put these up for anyone who may be worried about playing in a band without much practice...  I didn't play in the jam that happened on the weekend but I kind of wish I had.. It was a really fun day with good people all giving encouragement to each other....  A rare thing these days...

I hadn’t played with a band in for well over 20 years when I attended the January Huddersfield Jam - and was very nervous about playing.

I had exactly the same experience - everyone was really friendly and encouraging to each other.
    Rabs said:

I hadn’t played with a band in for well over 20 years when I attended the January Huddersfield Jam - and was very nervous about playing.

I had exactly the same experience - everyone was really friendly and encouraging to each other.
    And if I’d have remembered it was you playing on some of the songs I’d have been a git to you :D
    Only joking - the jams are such friendly affairs.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Let alone all of the amazing guitars that were about on the day..  For the first time ever in my life I got to try an original 1960 Gibson Double Cut which I wont forget in a hurry..... The day went in a flash too...  Two days of it would be amazing, I think if there are people going on both days, the second day would probably be better as you will need one of the days just to take everything in with all the people and guitars about....
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    You probably wouldn't have guessed from my dashing good looks and confident keyboard persona but I'm a walking bag of problems.. textbook introvert, anxiety goes a little nuts going into these exact situations - meeting new people, showing my inferior skills etc. 

I had a blast at the Huddersfield Jam. People were super duper, sure skill levels are different but everyone is on the same page for being there. No pressure, no judgement just fun. 

One of the main areas of feedback from the January one was that it wasn't long enough! For me at least, social barriers were broken down by the afternoon and that's when the fun began when you got to know the people. So 2 days should be awesome, especially Sunday, as once the beer has flowed and the world has been put to rights at 1am the night before, all the ingredients are there for a good time.

So uh.. sign up.. cake and ice cream provided.

• SheldersShelders Frets: 22
    interested, give me a reason to practice to not embarrass myself! 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    I've extended my visit to the full shebang - might as well for the 475 mile round trip.  

As others have said, the jam sessions are great. I attended my first the other day and played 4 songs. Live.  *All* the way through. In front of actual real people. I never normally play more than the odd recognisable riff and haven't gigged since the 80s. 

A beery social thrown into the mix makes this thing utterly irresistible. 

Plus how many time do most of us say that we jammed in the rhubarb triangle...  B)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

McToot said:
    I've extended my visit to the full shebang - might as well for the 475 mile round trip.  

As others have said, the jam sessions are great. I attended my first the other day and played 4 songs. Live.  *All* the way through. In front of actual real people. I never normally play more than the odd recognisable riff and haven't gigged since the 80s. 

A beery social thrown into the mix makes this thing utterly irresistible. 

Plus how many time do most of us say that we jammed in the rhubarb triangle...  B)
    I know quite a few people who regularly jam in the rhubarb triangle. They don’t play instruments, Mind...
    edited June 2018
    @shelders - so, are you joining us?

If so, please sign up on the main thread (the one that's stickied in the Recent Discussions view).