Good site for song tutorials?

What's Hot
drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
I'm learning with Guitar Tricks which I have found excellent. Apart from their song selection which, while well taught in the main, doesn't entirely align with what I'd like to play. I'd like to access decent tutorials rather than just tab, or videos of play throughs that don't explain. For example I want to learn A Matter of Time by Foo Fighters. It's not a very new song but my searches show no tutorials. I'd happily stump up for this kind of content. Any recommendations for me?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Speaking as someone who is still a beginner, albeit 18 months in and with a musical background, one of the best skills you will learn is how to work out this kind if stuff on your own. 

A year ago I was still repetitively practicing my chord changes and occasionally learning a 3 or 4 chord song. Songs would take weeks to learn. 

Now I'm finding that I can pick up most things very quickly, certainly within a few hours, and that's just by reading tab or chords on things like guitar tab pro, which I pay for. I'd really recommend trying to work out stuff on your own at least some of the time rather than relying on videos all the time. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Use your ears and have a go working it out yourself first, then check on tab sites. Whilst most do give you the chords and whatnot there's a lot on there that aren't accurate and you hear it when you play along with the recording. Often its not the right tuning or register on the guitar, which is why it doesn't sound right.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I came back to guitar after a long lay off and thought the whole internet thing would make everything easy.  There are two things ye must know:  1)  Tabs are hopelessly unreliable - I would say 75% are just plain wrong! and 2)  Just because Mick Ronson (insert guitarist of choice) played an open E on Top of the Pops, don't assume it was necessarily the case on the record - there has been a lot of very poor miming over the years.

As others have said, start building your own skills, and use the above-mentioned resources to fill in gaps.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited June 2018
    As to the tab thing, that's not just an internet-age problem.

I'm a huge Graham Parker and the Rumour fan, and Martin Belmont recently released a book of tab for the last two albums (Three Chords Good and Mystery Glue) in which he complains about the very same problem from when he was learning to play Elvis and Dylan in the early 60s - and he was talking about the official sheet music!
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Try guitarinstructor.com
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Chordify or something similar. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    I find live you tube videos, not tutorials, can be good to see what the actual guitarist is playing, then work it out. Some tutorials will push you in the right direction but an awful lot of them are wrong, I dont think tabs are reliable either but again will push you in the right direction. The problem is if you keep learning songs wrongly your overall progression might suffer, well , mine did from settling for things that sound almost right.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    robgilmo said:
    I find live you tube videos, not tutorials, can be good to see what the actual guitarist is playing, then work it out. Some tutorials will push you in the right direction but an awful lot of them are wrong, I dont think tabs are reliable either but again will push you in the right direction. The problem is if you keep learning songs wrongly your overall progression might suffer, well , mine did from settling for things that sound almost right.
    This is partly true though some live arrangements can be different to the recorded version, depending which one you want to learn. But it is nice to see how the actual player plays it. Most of the problem with tab is the rhythm isn't notated so you're never sure how long a note/chord is meant to last for, 1 bar, half a bar, 2 bars, or if its quarter/eighth notes etc etc. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • xRandomregxRandomreg Frets: 231
    If you are willing to pay, licklibrary.com is full of lots of good rock and metal stuff

And at the risk of upsetting others some of us don't have time and don't want to improve our listening skills and work it out ourselves and just wanna have some fun on our guitars.

I completely appreciate that it WOULD be better to work it out but each to their own

And I apologise if I have annoyed anyone

Andrew
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Thanks for all suggestions everyone. I completely agree it is a fine idea to develop my ear but as a beginner my focus is more on learning to play some songs I like and improving technique as a result. Horses for courses.