Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636

Im now a drummer myself so can give @mrkb ;a run for his money as the Fretboard champion all rounder!

Hey I’m not that round, it’s the Tshirt that’s shrunk!

Thats great news, the jams always need drummers - you can also do a solo version of Champagne Supernova with a few cymbals between your knees ;-).

Im going to have to up my game and learn kazoo!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    mrkb said:

Im now a drummer myself so can give @mrkb ;a run for his money as the Fretboard champion all rounder!

Hey I’m not that round, it’s the Tshirt that’s shrunk!

Thats great news, the jams always need drummers - you can also do a solo version of Champagne Supernova with a few cymbals between your knees ;-).

Im going to have to up my game and learn kazoo!

I can keep a reasonable beat too now. Been getting a fair bit of drum practice in as well as some bass, keys and a lot of vocals. Still shit at guitar.

I'm not round though. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    *cough

Drummer here too! 
    Not a singer though.. but I do have some Spandex so does that count? :)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Wow, the drummers are coming out of the woodwork!

I was secretly hoping to put in a song or three behind the kit at the jam - unless anything changes between now and then it would be my first band experience of drumming. 

How long has everyone else been drumming and where have you got your experience - considering we're all putting ourselves forward as guitarists first, presumably in any band situation you'd tend towards playing guitar
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2018
    My drumming is purely beginner level, I'm proficient with just enough of the basics on all my instruments to be able to work out simple parts for the kids to play. Most of what I do is transpose and simplify songs to the simplest possible version then get kids doing it. 

I probably get in a couple of hours practice a week as well as playing drums on stuff when the kids don't have anyone that wants to. I've played a few jam sessions as well though. I'm absolutely not playing exact drum covers, but I can usually find a beat and a few fills that work with any song in standard 4/4

( see www.youbringtheband.co.uk ) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    edited June 2018
    I've drummed in a couple of bands..  Not been taught or anything, more of a too many guitarists not enough drummers situation so i gave it a bash. Covers band i was in did stuff ranging from CCR to Slayer.. couldn't do exact covers but was close enough.

Wouldn't call my self a good drummer - i can hold a rhythm, but as a guitarist sitting on a drum stool, i know not to play when trying to tune guitars and that double bass is not always appropriate.. So i guess that makes me pro?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I was secretly hoping to put in a song or three behind the kit at the jam - unless anything changes between now and then it would be my first band experience of drumming. 

How long has everyone else been drumming and where have you got your experience - considering we're all putting ourselves forward as guitarists first, presumably in any band situation you'd tend towards playing guitar

Im pretty sure there will be enough opportunity if the Huddersfield one goes ahead - that's 2 days and an evening session to fill! Even a proficient drummer appreciates a break, so Im sure having a few people step in for two songs or so through the day is do-able (as long as youre not left handed !). I just jump on the kit as its been setup by the main drummer and make do.

I only ever want to cover a few songs at the jam sessions as it takes a bit of effort to get a proper version together, and the rhythm section has to be fairly competent to properly support the novice guitarists. At the woking jam, I did Tush and Champagne Supernova 'in the style of', but needed to learn the full version of Comfortably numb as theres a few key fills in there that lead the song into the next section so need doing properly.

Ive been playing an electronic kit (with weekly lessons) for three years - Im at about rockschool grade 3 level, and can read drum notation so can now play from sheet music which makes learning new songs much easier. Ive drummed a few songs at the last three fretboard jam sessions and have now bought a full acoustic kit and about to build a garden room to play it in - so hope that will make playing a full kit seem less unwieldy.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Another good option for the fretboard jams is also sitting in with people practising the songs in the other rooms - as I did with you lot learning "Beat It". That way you get some good practice at making up a beat and fills that suits what they're playing and if/when you cock it up, no one seems too bothered and you can try something else next time through.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Another good option for the fretboard jams is also sitting in with people practising the songs in the other rooms - as I did with you lot learning "Beat It". That way you get some good practice at making up a beat and fills that suits what they're playing and if/when you cock it up, no one seems too bothered and you can try something else next time through.
    Yeah i jammed beat it and a couple of others on the drums.. didn't help not remembering the beats to these songs, but it's all a laugh and hella funs :)
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    I apologise for not reaadng tbe whole thread before raising this question: would moving the event to a different weekend improve numbers (I have to declare an interest as I would love to attend but cannot make 4th/5th August)?
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Just the Sunday for me but yes, count me in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    After breaking my duck at the Woking event I'm keen to attend. It'll be a spiritual homecoming to the Rhubarb Triangle too as I grew up nearby [ooh aye lad, me ferrets are smashin, and all that]. 

Just waiting on weekend privileges to be agreed with Mrs McToot before ponying up. I'm likely to be a saturday day and evening attendee, heading back to the south on sunday morning, deaf and hungover...

@ttony - could you bear having me at 2 events so close together? I'll be good as gold and won't moan or whine  ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

edited June 2018
    McToot said:
    After breaking my duck at the Woking event I'm keen to attend. It'll be a spiritual homecoming to the Rhubarb Triangle too as I grew up nearby [ooh aye lad, me ferrets are smashin, and all that]. 

Just waiting on weekend privileges to be agreed with Mrs McToot before ponying up. I'm likely to be a saturday day and evening attendee, heading back to the south on sunday morning, deaf and hungover...

@ttony - could you bear having me at 2 events so close together? I'll be good as gold and won't moan or whine 
    Brilliant, there's a few more names to put in the list. 

Cant wait to start talking about songs. Have a few suggestions that I'll keep to myself for now. 

@TTony, my payment should have gone through a while ago, when you get a mo can you check and update the list? Ta. 
    edited June 2018
    mrkb said:

Ive been playing an electronic kit (with weekly lessons) for three years - Im at about rockschool grade 3 level, and can read drum notation so can now play from sheet music which makes learning new songs much easier. Ive drummed a few songs at the last three fretboard jam sessions and have now bought a full acoustic kit and about to build a garden room to play it in - so hope that will make playing a full kit seem less unwieldy.

I'll have been playing 6 months in August (hadn't  touched a kit until afterthe previous Huds jam) - I inherited a Roland electric kit from a brother in law so got started with lessons. Still early days but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm reminded of the days when I started out on guitar - real progress can be seen after every lesson, whereas on the guitar I can go for months without really moving forward unless I really put my mind to it.

Combine that with the pleasure of hitting things, and I'm finding it a very rewarding instrument. I think being able to play another instrument helps make progress on drums, because a rhythmic and musical sense is already present. In theory. 

My tutor started with notation from practically the first session so reading has been part of the learning process from day one which is a very useful skill indeed. As you say, makes learning a groove so much quicker. 

Have you actually done the Rockschool grades or is that just an estimate of where you're at?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Brocco said:
    I apologise for not reaadng tbe whole thread before raising this question: would moving the event to a different weekend improve numbers (I have to declare an interest as I would love to attend but cannot make 4th/5th August)?
    Inevitably @Brocco, if we moved it to another date, some more people would be able to make it, though probably offset by those who'd then not be able to make it!

This was the date that we picked before we kicked off the original "would there be any interest ..." thread, in which enough people expressed interest to make it viable.

Though they're now clearly less  able to attend, for various reasons ...
    :(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Sorely tempted, but it's on the end of a run of weekends away (family stuff) and Mrs Snags may have some perfectly reasonable expectations surrounding domestic bliss. Also, I'll be bricking myself about playing in front of people who can actually play, as normally I play in front of the profoundly ignorant.

I shall await a weak moment and raise a delicate question at home ...
    Snags said:
     Also, I'll be bricking myself about playing in front of people who can actually play, as normally I play in front of the profoundly ignorant.

@snags - if you take a quick read through this thread,  any fears about playing in front of "people" should swiftly disappear.

We originally started these jam sessions specifically to help people who don't play in front of people that often to do so, build confidence, and find that it's really not so scary.  It's an incredibly helpful and supportive environment, lots of people there with all sorts of different experiences, but everyone goes away having had a great time.
    :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    TTony said:
    Snags said:
     Also, I'll be bricking myself about playing in front of people who can actually play, as normally I play in front of the profoundly ignorant.

@snags - if you take a quick read through this thread,  any fears about playing in front of "people" should swiftly disappear.

We originally started these jam sessions specifically to help people who don't play in front of people that often to do so, build confidence, and find that it's really not so scary.  It's an incredibly helpful and supportive environment, lots of people there with all sorts of different experiences, but everyone goes away having had a great time.
    Plus the fact the only reason I go is to provide a comedy bass player so any level of guitar twanging looks expert in comparison...
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited June 2018
    Could you put me down for one day, whichever is the one with the acoustic session on. If I can find somewhere for the dog to go to for the weekend, then I'll try to make both days but that'll take a while.

£20 paid for now, and if I can make the full weekend I'll add the other 20 as soon as I know.

Does that help with making enough numbers up?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Be good to have you there @TheOtherDennis ;
This discussion has been closed.