I built a small clean boost

What's Hot

This is about as small as I can build a foot switchable boost I think, very cheap component count wise, whole thing less than a tenner in parts and sounds identical to an MXR micro amp which isn't surprising cos it's basically the same circuit (why reinvent a perfectly good wheel :) )

May I present the Dr Watson BabyBoost 

Definitely external DC power only, you couldn't fit a watch battery in there let alone a PP3 :)

I've also built a headphone amp in this type enclosure and a Klon buffer ..... very handy for when space is tight on the board
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    @mart .... that Hotone looks like Homer Simpson designed it, the knob is enormous for no logical reason I can think of :) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Yeah, I wasn’t suggesting you go for the enormous knob - just the positioning, so that you could stomp on the switch easily without having to avoid stomping on your knob.

Oh, and the giant hotone knob lights up iirc, just in case you thought it didn’t already look silly enough.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Looks awesome.  What is that, same width as a 1590B but half the length?
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    Danny1969 said:
    @mart .... that Hotone looks like Homer Simpson designed it, the knob is enormous for no logical reason I can think of :) 
    maybe the owner had a special reason for wanting it that big?

https://photoboothjournal.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/photoboothnewyearparty19573.jpg
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Looks great. Simple, elegant. The "mini me" of the pedal world!
    SteveF said:
    Looks awesome.  What is that, same width as a 1590B but half the length?
    It's 50mm by 50mm, so a little less wide than a 1590B and less than half the length. The input and output jacks are slightly offset due to the limited width.
    The pots control knob sits flush on the surface so standing on it won't damage the pot 

Here's PedalHead .... a stereo headphone amp designed to drive common low impedance  IEM's like Shure 215's ...  for use by guitarist using dual IEM & guitar cables 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    They’re lovely!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The Henretta Pedals are 2”x2” (pretty much the same). They don’t have any external knobs, they have internal trim pots. Bit of a faff but you could have a very tiny pedalboard. 
    Not sure the BabyBoost quite matches my search for an unmissable overdrive but it’s very cool.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    edited June 2018
    Hi @Danny1969 ;: is the headphone amp stereo? If so, would there be room for the input to be a 3-pin XLR socket? And, if so, is there also room for a little toggle switch to swich between interpreting the input as mono and as stereo?
    smigeon said:
    Hi @Danny69: is the headphone amp stereo? If so, would there be room for the input to be a 3-pin XLR socket? And, if so, is there also room for a little toggle switch to swich between interpreting the input as mono and as stereo?
    It is stereo mate, I will check to see if there's room when some more boxes come in, that ones been sold. I already have a toggle switch design that can switch between mono balanced signal on a single XLR and pin one ground, pin 2 left pin 3 right stereo on single XLR so that's no problem 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sounds interesting, but I can't see any pics, looks like everyone else can?
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    mart said:
    ...without having to avoid stomping on your knob.

Ouch. :s
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    edited June 2018
    @Danny1969 said:
    Fsmigeon said:
    Hi @Danny1969: is the headphone amp stereo? If so, would there be room for the input to be a 3-pin XLR socket? And, if so, is there also room for a little toggle switch to swich between interpreting the input as mono and as stereo?
    It is stereo mate, I will check to see if @Danny1969 ;room when some more boxes come in, that ones been sold. I already have a toggle switch design that can switch between mono balanced signal on a single XLR and pin one ground, pin 2 left pin 3 right stereo on single XLR so that's no problem 
    Great - let me know if there is room! I'm assuming the power is standard 9vDC centre neg, right? And that the headphone out put is a mini-jack? If so, I'd like to have one :-). (How much, though??)
    smigeon said:
    LDanny1969 said:
    smigeon said:
    Hi @Danny69: is the headphone amp stereo? If so, would there be room for the input to be a 3-pin XLR socket? And, if so, is there also room for a little toggle switch to swich between interpreting the input as mono and as stereo?
    It is stereo mate, I will check to see if there's room when some more boxes come in, that ones been sold. I already have a toggle switch design that can switch between mono balanced signal on a single XLR and pin one ground, pin 2 left pin 3 right stereo on single XLR so that's no problem 
    Great - let me know if there is room! I'm assuming the power is standard 9vDC centre neg, right? And that the headphone out put is a mini-jack? If so, I'd like to have one :-). (How much, though??)
    Yes it's designed for pedal boards so 9V ctr neg like a pedal and 3.5mm stereo socket. I'm thinking these are gonna work out at £25.00 a pop
    www.2020studios.co.uk