Post Rats chat, pics & clips

What's Hot

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    edited June 2018
    TTony said:

You can tell that bass sounds good, just from the pic @Bridgehouse ;;
    :P 

No-one has mentioned @lovestrat74  Jr's bass playing yet.  Top work young man!
    I was waiting for an opportune moment. @TTony has been usurped as forum surprise bass talent by @lovestrat74 jr now... great playing and highlighted most by a good ear and being locked in with drums. Well done!
    Thanks guys! We were just having lunch talking about the day and some of the balls-out vocal performances and Fleetwood Mac came on the radio. We both agreed that some F Mac would be good to do so Jr has put his hat the ring for The Chain at the next session!

Also noticed that backing vocals were creeping in later in the day. Would be good to include them from the off next time. Might take a leaf out of @mrkb 's book and put my name down for some vocals  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TTony said:

You can tell that bass sounds good, just from the pic @Bridgehouse ;
    :P 

No-one has mentioned @lovestrat74  Jr's bass playing yet.  Top work young man!
    I was waiting for an opportune moment. @TTony has been usurped as forum surprise bass talent by @lovestrat74 jr now... great playing and highlighted most by a good ear and being locked in with drums. Well done!
    Thanks guys! We were just having lunch talking about the day and some of the balls-out vocal performances and Fleetwood Mac came on the radio. We both agreed that some F Mac would be good to do so Jr has put his hat the ring for The Chain at the next session!

Also noticed that backing vocals were creeping in later in the day. Would be good to include them from the off next time. Might take a leaf out of @mrkb 's booked and put my name down for some vocals ;) 
    I challenge him to do mr blue sky next time - the bass solo is HARD
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    edited June 2018
    Guests have gone!

Firstly thanks to everyone who organised and took part I had a great time. 

Lots of highlights for me - getting to meet everyone was great, talking about guitars all day of course - and also actually the hour or two quiet time downstairs seeing people compare some of the guitars I brought along - I always enjoy hearing someone else play a guitar of mine just to actually hear a different take on it. 

Really the whole day was a highlight for me and I don’t want to upset anyone by missing them out. 

Very impressed by some of the emotion put into the vocal performances and it’s good to see people prepared to let out those special feelings (you know who you are)

One of the best takeaways from me is a very personal one - I learnt 6 songs for the event all the way through. I’ve not done that for 30 years and I completely enjoyed the process and I’m a better player as a result. Also hearing the sounds I programmed at home on me Fractal at massive volume and hearing they still worked was great. 

For me next time - all sessions I was in we should have practiced outside first. For a couple of songs a few of us got together but not the whole group and that showed badly I’m afraid. 

And as said before I think better levels check beforehand, would have made all the difference - taking Whiteroom for example I was turned down just before we started and then when the drummer got adrenaline couldn’t hear myself at all - same with all of them to a greater or lesser extent. 

But that’s not to take away anything - had a great time with a great bunch. I am puzzled by the lack of females, since frankly - it was wall to wall man crumpet - but their loss!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'll let him know, but what about vocals? Are you bringing Vienna Boys Choir !?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I’m gonna throw “my generation” into the pot for him as a suggestion for the next one!...
    No, but I reckon we could do a version. I’ll learn the solo if he does...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    I'd sing it, I'll sing anything!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd sing it, I'll sing anything!
    Oh we know :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    I’m gonna throw “my generation” into the pot for him as a suggestion for the next one!...
    Wow he's going to be busy :) reckon @slacker Would love to rip a hole in that one on vocals too
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Wow he's going to be busy :) reckon @slacker Would love to rip a hole in that one on vocals too
    @slacker  is getting a reputation for what is commonly known as a “200% vocalist” 

;)
    poopot said:
    @slacker  is getting a reputation for what is commonly known as a “200% vocalist” 

;)
    That was an epic performance.  A highlight of the day for me.

Really looking forward to the recordings of this one.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    poopot said:

;)
    That was an epic performance.  A highlight of the day for me.

Thank you for the kind words. I think it was nerves and I kind of over compensated. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    Me too - looking forward to the recordings of all of it!

The plan is that @poopot will get hold of the raw recordings by the end of this week and we'll get them on here just as soon as.
    :) 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6775
    edited June 2018
    TTony said:

The plan is that @poopot will get hold of the raw recordings by the end of this week and we'll get them on here just as soon as.

I was also impressed by your finger style playing whilst singing on "Call Me the Breeze" @ttony - you kept that skill quiet! Are you stepping up to "Beat It" at the next one ;-)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    TTony said:

Finally find out how my solo (ok solos, sorry about that but I was having fun) on Champagne Supernova came out.
    edited June 2018
    mrkb said:
    TTony said:

I was also impressed by your finger style playing whilst singing on "Call Me the Breeze" @ttony - you kept that skill quiet! Are you stepping up to "Beat It" at the next one ;-)
    That was a bit of a risk @mrkb.

I can finger style pick Call Me without any real trouble.  

I *can* even sing, ish ...

... but the rhythm on Call Me is at odds with the vocals, so doing both was a bit of a challenge.  But that's what these sessions are about, taking a challenge!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did "Champagne" sound OK outside the room...?

Although i sang a lot I only played guitar in a really noticeable way on this one, so I'm sort of hoping the recording is something I can be at least reservedly happy with!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    TTony said:

Yep, spoke to Kim and he said he will get the files over as soon as is possible. He said he will get his two lads to do a basic mix of each track as well (doubt that will be as soon as we want tho’).

as it stands I have nothing work wise (rather worryingly) booked in for next weekend so I will make a start on the tracks and get them posted as soon as.

Where there is more than one version of a song I will have a quick listen and mix the most polished if that’s ok with everyone?...

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    turns out Strat J's s got some catching up to do, I just jammed through Rockin' In the Free World with a 6 year old (and his dad). Sent him home singing de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de-DERRRR-DERRRRR.

My work here is done.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

Where there is more than one version of a song I will have a quick listen and mix the most polished if that’s ok with everyone?...

That sounds sensible to me - as long as it's the same lineup on each version (ie a take1/take2 thing)

I'd offer to help, but I don't think my mixing/producing skills are quite up to the challenge ...