Mastodon...

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
edited June 2018 in Music

Ok, I was aware of how good Leviathan was, and then I lost touch with what the band were up to.

I've just heard tracks off the latest record and it is the first time I have been excited about a more metal orientated band in years. I think its fantastic how they've mixed Sabbath with progressive rock, metalcore/sludge, doom, rock and roll, punk, and a LOT of melody. I'm really impressed. Now to delve into the back catalogue!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Crack the Skye, Leviathan and Remission are the best albums. Blood Mountain and the new one are also decent.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited June 2018
    I’ve been listening since Blood Mountain, but somehow missed The Hunter. Got that last week, it’s excellent as expected. Once more round the sun was considered poor by some but it’s superb.

You must get the ep Cold Dark Place to go with Emperor of Sand, which has Brett Hinds to the fore.

Yet to hear Leviathan....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One of my favourite bands- Brann Dailor is a force of nature. To my mind he’s the best drummer out there. 
    Their albums have become progressively more melodic. 

Baroness are similarly excellent if this is the kind of music you like. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    I too am a fairly recent convert. I'm fairly Blasphemous in that I think Emperor of Sand is their best record and don't care all that much for Crack The Skye. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited June 2018
    I too am a fairly recent convert. I'm fairly Blasphemous in that I think Emperor of Sand is their best record and don't care all that much for Crack The Skye. 
    Ok I haven’t heard their first two albums, but I agree they are getting better. Their strength is having four extemely talented members to contribute to the songs and bring differing vocal styles and flavours within each song; I suppose it’s a bit like hip hop, wu-tang for example; not many rock/metal bands can get away with not having one singer as the focal point. Brann’s vocals have brought in a new layer of melodicness to the mix. How the fuck does he drum like that and sing at the same time!!!!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I absolutely love them

Probably my favourite contemporary heavy band along with Alter Bridge.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I only got into them over the last few months.  I have The Hunter, Once More Round the Sun, and Crack The Skye.  All three are great.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have a couple of albums, but to be honest I can't get into metal like I used to. I can only take a couple of tracks of head pummelling these days before I feel I've had enough. Can someone pass my slippers ....
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    edited June 2018
     The obvious bands to check out for Mastodon fans are Today Is the Day (in the eyes of god natch) and Keelhaul. Spaceboy maybe as well. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited June 2018
    One of my favourite bands- Brann Dailor is a force of nature. To my mind he’s the best drummer out there. 
    Definitely, such an awesome player. Love Mastodon and think all the albums are great but The Hunter is by far my least favourite, just too many boring songs! Love Emperor of Sand but it could do with less guitar solos, they all start to sound the same after a while. Blood Mountain is my favourite.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Couldn't stand Once More Round The Sun as it is incredibly tedious, but Emperor Of Sand is definitely their best album since Crack The Skye.

However, Remission >>>>>>>>>
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    For the record, 3 Sigma just released the Bill Kelliher cab collection https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/bill-kelliher-collection/
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Recent convert here too, i did try a few years ago but couldn't get into it. But then listening to to Emperor of sand and Cold dark place seems to have opened them up to me. 

Currently enjoying working my way through the back catalogue!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    edited June 2018

Love Mastodon. I've started the (non-metal like) girlfriend off on the new albums and progressively got her into the older, heavier stuff. she's just about into the hunter.

if you like mastodon you need to check out Anciients. they're incredible live and I can't understand how they're not bigger than they are!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Emperor of Sand is basically all I am listening to at the moment.
    I am waking up singing 'Show Yourself'- ridiculously catchy tune.
    It is getting to the point of being too much.

Like most of the bands I like their lyrics are a bit silly.
  • octatonic said:
    Emperor of Sand is basically all I am listening to at the moment.
    I am waking up singing 'Show Yourself'- ridiculously catchy tune.
    It is getting to the point of being too much.

Like most of the bands I like their lyrics are a bit silly.
    Have you watched the “Making of” documentary on YouTube? 

https://youtu.be/lj4cbYAWUqg

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I have not- watching it now.
    Cheers.