Blues Guitar Course

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I've just joined and was wondering whether anybody could recommend a dedicated Blues Guitar course (online or otherwise). There seems to be a lack of them out there and some of the blues lessons I've seen on tuition sites feature metal guitarists masquerading as bluesmen. I have absolutely nothing against metal players (I've played my fair share of metal myself), but I'd rather learn blues from a Strat Cat than some dude with a pointy guitar and way too much distortion. 

I know a fair bit about blues, but I really want to work on my phrasing and tone.

Thank in advance...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    edited May 2018
    I find this guy's clips quite useful:

"Learning guitar now" you tube channel
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Texas blues alley. Easy membership, great tools and interesting lessons. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Truefire  - you have to pay but people seem to find the quality good ( lots of extracts on YouTube if you just want an idea) and enough blues lessons to last a lifetime. 

Artists works have Keith Wyatt and you can submit video to him for appraisal. Presumably it's not cheap but I've watched Keith on other things and he has a very clear style and knows his stuff inside out. If I was going to commit money to learning blues online that would probably be my choice.

Depends a bit on what you mean by 'blues' of course. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    As @EricTheWeary says, it depends on what you mean by blues.
    Justin Sandercoe has 3 different Blues course (2 Lead, and 1 Rhythm) - https://new.justinguitar.com/categories/3-intermediate-modules

I've only done bits of his Rhythm course, so I've got no idea what level the Lead courses are aimed at, but all the lessons are free.
    It might also be worth checking out the Anderton's videos with Justin and the Captain, as the first one did cover a bit about phrasing.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I suspect you already have lots of lessons in your record collection. You've already paid for them, just listen :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 655
    As a learner, I can recommend "Blues guitar unleashed" they're not free, but they are good. He is a good teacher with a relaxed but knowledgeable style.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6626
    Any of the Andy Aledort lessons on Truefire are good. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. I ended up signing up to http://www.absolutebluesguitar.com after checking out a free lesson on YouTube. It’s brilliant! 

Apparently, it’s a new site. It ticks all of the boxes for me. The instructor is a great player and very knowledgable (has worked with tons of people as a session guy) and everything’s tabbed out and comes with backing tracks etc.

Top stuff and I’m confident it’s going to set blues my playing on the right track.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    You wouldn't happen to be associated with absolutebluesguitar.com by any chance?  ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Only in as much as I'm a member. I was asked that same question on another forum. It's funny, because some of the recommendations I've been given on forums look like promo spiel from the companies themselves, rather than legitimate guitar students.
  • KarmaCannockKarmaCannock Frets: 4
    edited June 2018

Sorry, my last comment was posted twice by mistake. Not sure how to delete, so I have to write any old waffle...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom