Tried a JCM 800 last night

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Much less so!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    McToot said:
    That JCM 800 at the jam session yesterday was pretty sweet..
    Oh yes indeed it did, though it did nearly knock someone's fillings out when I flicked from a low vol neck pickup into a full chat bridge pickup and smashed a powerchord in Supernova. I loved it - @peteri less so...

;) 
    I had no idea what the amps were yesterday, I was plugged directly into amp 3 (closest to the door, in case I needed a quick exit) each time, was interested to know what it was
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    my 4010 is from 1983, it's very clean and has been super reliable so far. They are very simple amps too, and every tech that has seen mine for a service or anything else has said never sell it :)

I had Martin Whelan add a metro zero loss FX loop to mine and it's adds a ton of versatility, especially with the FX8 being able to add volume and reduce gain which basically creates more channels. But to be honest these amps work just as well with a Tubescreamer/SD1/etc in front and your volume knob.

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    munckee said:
    McToot said:
    Oh yes indeed it did, though it did nearly knock someone's fillings out when I flicked from a low vol neck pickup into a full chat bridge pickup and smashed a powerchord in Supernova. I loved it - @peteri less so...

;) 
    I had no idea what the amps were yesterday, I was plugged directly into amp 3 (closest to the door, in case I needed a quick exit) each time, was interested to know what it was
    Actually - I've just realised that was not the JCM - that was a 1977 JMP. It was fab-you-larse. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

77 JMP is the same internally as the first JCM800s i believe

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    @Moltisanti I think my Danplifier is too...sure one of you must fancy it ;)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    77 JMP is the same internally as the first JCM800s i believe
    Basically, yes. The earliest ('75-'76) 2204s have a different circuit, and slightly later ones have a different power supply voltage, but the last JMP 2204s, and all JMP 2203s, and the vertical-input JCM800s are identical circuits.

The first-version 2204 is a bit of an aberration - it has the input channels in parallel not cascaded, so the High input is thinner and weaker-sounding than the Low, not the classic 2203 High input sound we know and love...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    When I was gigging the toilet circuit 25 years ago it was the stock amp you saw. People used them & they worked. It's taken a while for them to be recognised. I agree with @ICBM the 2203 is probably the definitive Marshall. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    McToot said:
    munckee said:
    McToot said:

;) 
    Actually - I've just realised that was not the JCM - that was a 1977 JMP. It was fab-you-larse. 
    Yep - I was pleasantly surprised by each of the Marshall offerings in the room - and that JMP was great. 

The bass amp at the back not so much tho. Bill commented to me that it sounded “zingy and toppy in a not good way” - I agreed and decided to have a play. Tucked away in between “pre-gain” and the eq knobs was a “bright” switch which was on. Turns out the bright switch was actually a “get rid of most of the decent bass and mid, add a layer of treble, and then accentuate the metallic sound of anything going through it” or, in common parlance a “make the shit amp sound even shitter”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Maybe a daft question but does the 20w jubilee not get close to the concept of a smaller jcm800?
    John_P said:
    Maybe a daft question but does the 20w jubilee not get close to the concept of a smaller jcm800?
    No, it's a totally different amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923

ICBM

Would something like a Harlot valve Kingsley pedal work well into the lo channel of these amps you think?

tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

ICBM

Would something like a Harlot valve Kingsley pedal work well into the lo channel of these amps you think?

Probably, although I have no idea what one of those is :).

A Mesa V-Twin works well though, if that's any help...

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited June 2018
    John_P said:
    Imo yes it does especially if you'd be boosting the 800 anyway. The difference is it has more gain, a thicker/smoother tone and EQ controls that actually do something still doesn't sound quite as good but it's close, just not as ballsy and snarly. More versatile though. But there's just something that seems to feel different and more "immediate" with a simpler circuit thats so fun to play.
    Is there good headroom on the lo input?
    tae be or not tae be
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Massive  headroom @hootsmon it’s clean all the way up.

It’s a damming report on modern Marshall’s when players who have only used the modern ones play the old ones and realise just how great they sound. The JCM 800, JTM 45, 1987x or any of the pre 1987 Marshall’s just sound absolutely brilliant. They just need a little bit of modern touches to make them more user friendly. 

Marshall made great amps and they are the quitisential sound of rock music (pre 1990). It’s sad how far off the boil they’ve gone by trying to reinvent the wheel. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Marshall even made a great solid state jcm800.

The lead 100 is ace, and definitely catches the spirit of the jcm800 for less money.

Jcm800 is one of the best amps ever. I prefer jtm45 style, but jcms really are epic. 
    if they made a 20w 800 would it have to be El84s ? 

if they made a 20w 800 would it have to be El84s ? 
    No, it could be EL34s. The mini-Jubilee is, so it could use the same transformers.

ICBM

Would the 50 w 800 give a 65 twin a run for it's money in the VOLUME dept?

I guess I am talking about the lo input channel on the Marshall.....can it shift some air like the 65 twin? 

tae be or not tae be