Amazing live bands that are disappointing on record...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    This probably won't win me any friends, but...

Cream.

I assume they must have been brilliant live, from their reputation - although I'm far too young to have seen them. For many years I've had 'Strange Brew - The Very Best Of Cream' and like most of it, but even on that there are a couple of duff tracks. I found Disraeli Gears in a charity shop a couple of weeks ago... and it's going back. Apart from the four tracks that are on Strange Brew (and one of those is a slightly duff one, SWLABR), the rest of it is total drivel - it sounds like a band trying to come up with something worth recording, failing and releasing the result anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ICBM said:
    This probably won't win me any friends, but...

Cream.

I assume they must have been brilliant live, from their reputation - although I'm far too young to have seen them. For many years I've had 'Strange Brew - The Very Best Of Cream' and like most of it, but even on that there are a couple of duff tracks. I found Disraeli Gears in a charity shop a couple of weeks ago... and it's going back. Apart from the four tracks that are on Strange Brew (and one of those is a slightly duff one, SWLABR), the rest of it is total drivel - it sounds like a band trying to come up with something worth recording, failing and releasing the result anyway.
    I concur. My favourite Cream LPs are Live Cream and the live disc off Wheels of Fire. I still think Crossroads was one of Clapton's (and indeed the band's) best.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    edited May 2018
    Strat54 said:
    I always think that a lot of the artists and bands who gigged and gigged for years before getting a record deal are never so great in the studio. Gary Clark Jr has already been mentioned and he is dreadful in the studio but amazing live. Like two different people. Its like they can't perform without an audience to bounce off.
     To be honest quite a lot of the bands I like are much better live or rather I enjoy them live more. In fact I'm a fan of live albums for this reason. Stevie Ray Vaughan's recorded output left a lot to be desired but live he was amazing. Modern blues player like Schofield, Trucks, Laurence Jones, KWS are much better live. I often think artists should gig the new material and then go straight in to record it. 
    I'm more a fan of Joe Bonamassa live (but not at £100) than his polished records. I might blame Kevin Shirley for that, every instrument on every album sounds the damn same In fact Bonamassa sounds better on his Instagram videos than his records. Then again so does Greg Koch. 
    I’d have to contest your put down of srv’s records. I think they’re exceptionally good. The only valid criticism could be held against too many ‘texan’ tunes. But even they carry ability and good song writing. The live recordings are almost a best of his recorded material. Every album has at least a couple of corkers. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22725

UFO and Thin Lizzy.

Both best known for classic live albums which sound way, way better than the studio versions of those songs (even if there's debate about how live the live stuff actually is).

Both also had a severe lack of good material outside their better known songs.  Some killer, lots of filler.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The Beatles? Nah, not fair. When they played live, they couldn’t be heard. The concert on the roof was pretty awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I'd have to say virtually every traditional act or orchestra I've every gone to see. These are genres that just don't come across the same way on record.

And one band that caught me by surprise was Shed Seven. I saw them at T in the park one year opening the stage for the day.  I was never a big fan although they have some decent songs. They absolutely kick arse live.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

I saw the Alarm a week or two ago.  Never really been into them, but I went with a friend who is a huge fan.  Definitely better live than the studio stuff.

They had Then Jerico supporting them.  Their frontman pranced onto the stage at the beginning of their set and fell over.  Seriously funny.  No-one had posted in on Youtube when I looked though.

• ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 232
    edited June 2018
    lukedlb said:
    The Beatles? Nah, not fair. When they played live, they couldn’t be heard. The concert on the roof was pretty awesome. 

I've got the bootleg from the film reels (so have a lot of others!), they played for way longer than shown on "Let it Be" doing a couple of versions of the songs and it's all great