PRS SE50E Tonare - what else is out there

What's Hot
Im after a nice Acoustic and the PRS SE50E Tonare has caught my eye, though not played one yet. The spec looks incomparable. What else should i be looking at in the £500-£700 bracket? I love my baby Taylor BT2 so would consider a Taylor and Faith have caught my eye in the past so what models should i be looking at? I prefer the look of a non cutaway but its not a deal breaker. A case would be a bonus. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Overwhelmed by the response!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    go play the se50 and everything else in that price range that'll sort out u'r problem - then look for a s/h Eastman
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    AliGorie said:
    go play the se50 and everything else in that price range that'll sort out u'r problem - then look for a s/h Eastman
    Thats the plan but hoped to get some leads on what other models i should try

• AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    You might get 2/3 series Larrivee second hand at around £700; nothing else comes close at that price
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    AliGorie said:
    Thats the plan but hoped to get some leads on what other models i should try
    there is a Martin d-18? going for cheap on the classifieds here. That would be my first port of call. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

You might be able to find a Furch around that price second hand.  Guitar Village have a 32 series OM for £1261 new at the moment.  That's a really good deal and you would normally pay more new than that, but you might be able to find one second for close to £700.

If you are not being a traditionalist about materials and finish, then something like the Martin OOOX1AE sounds really good - mine does anyway.  Not sure if they are all that good.  I played a dreadnought version in a shop and it was pretty underwhelming.

The PRS you are looking at might be really good, but I tried the Alex Lifeson sig PRS acoustic when I bought that Martin.  The Martin sounded far better.  The one you are looking at probably has a deeper body than the Lifeson so may sound a lot better.

Personally I'd echo the advice of trying a whole bunch and buying the one you like.