Will this be rubbish?

What's Hot

Comments

• barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    Thanks again. Sounds good that.  The twenty quid bass seems to have gone and no reply.  Ill follow the advice and recommendations and just keep an eye out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Any good?  https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/bass-guitar-and-amp/1301469585

Ive emailed the seller, hopefully I will get a reply this time.  I guess I could get £40 for the amp on ebay
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    That rumble 15 is actually pretty good.. lol!

But for Money the Peavey will be fine. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited June 2018
    Certainly, a playable instrument. Worth most of the money being asked for the package deal.

If you are certain that you do not require the amp, try the whole package, then, offer a bit over half for just the bass and the gig bag. 

Rather too much of the money that the amp might fetch on eBay will evaporate in fees and deductions.
    Be seeing you.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    I've had a couple of dirt cheap Peavey basses, and where they shine are the necks. They seem to have CNC neck shaping down to a fine art, and while the pickups may have been a bit shite, and the bodies 'dipped in plastic', the necks have all been lovely. The pickups can be changed cheaply or lived with, but the neck is the bit that you play ...   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Thanks.  Typically no reply as yet. Ill try phoning them tomorrow.  
    Still no reply so Ive given up on that one.  This guy has replied though although he has not posted the photos yet but will do tonight apparently. Sounds like its got a few scrapes and scratches but Im not bothered about that.
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/ibanez-gio-soundgear-bass-guitar-/1301236972

This is what he replied to me.  Im a little concerned about what he means by action which I take to mean the distance from the frets to the strings.

" I'm actually travelling back to Middlesbrough today so if you're still interested I should have detailed photos uploaded by the end of the day. As for the cracks, I'll look at them in further detail tonight but I'm sure it's mostly just a few small chips where the body has been dinged and maybe some minor cracks surrounding. Another small thing worth mentioning is just because it's a few years old, the action isn't perfect, this is noticeable when you play acoustically but as long as you plug in it's not bad at all.Also I'm sure the neck and fret board is all good. Anyways just recheck the ad later and I should have updated it giving you more of an idea of the condition. Thanks"
    Sounds like fret buzz then. Probably fixable by a decent set up. 
    Fret rattle on unamplified bass guitars is a common result of playing too hard to compensate for lack of mechanical acoustic volume.

Sixty quid is a far price for the beginner level Ibanez Gio. Assuming that the neck is not warped, various basic set-up adjustments can be made to get the instrument playable. The weak spots are the tuners, the control electronics and the pickups. These will be of equal (short Jazz) length, making drop-in replacement upgrading tricky.
    Be seeing you.
    Thanks.  The other guy with the Peavy and amp finally got in touch now so I have a choice of two it seems.
    Try the Peavey Millennium first.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Going to see the Peavy at lunchtime today.  Bloke sounds alright. Sounds like Bob Mortimer.
    barryd said:
    Going to see the Peavy at lunchtime today.  Bloke sounds alright. Sounds like Bob Mortimer.
    You wouldn’t let it lie, would you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    barryd said:
    Going to see the Peavey at lunchtime today. 
    Any success?

barryd said:
    ... alright ... like Bob Mortimer.
    Interesting definition of *alright*. ;) 

You wouldn’t let it lie, would you?
    Very poor. Very poor indeed.
    Be seeing you.
    Success!  Bought it.  Of course I have nothing to compare it to but it looks like a Bass guitar and sounds like a Bass guitar.  :#
    So I guess its a Bass guitar.  Was in better nick than I expected.  Chap seemed genuine enough.  He was prepared to separate the two but wanted £60 just for the guitar so I offered him £70 for the Guitar and amp and he agreed.  I dont think I have done too badly there.  Just got back in now and been playing with it and the amp.  Packs a bit of a punch that little amp.  I was surprised.   I might pass it on or not I dunno.  Could be useful for jamming I suppose.  Me fingers are hurting a bit after ten minutes though.  The Actions not too bad but not sure if or how it could be lowered slightly but its quite playable.

I just need to learn how to play the fecker now.  :o  Frets are a bit far apart.  

Thanks for all the support and help.  Really appreciated.

barryd said:
     I dont think I have done too badly there.
    Remind me never to haggle with you. ;)

barryd said:
    Just got back in now and been playing with it and the amp.  Packs a bit of a punch that little amp.
    More importantly, it does it without disintegrating into a terrible low frequency farting sound. Building small, low wattage bass amplifiers is surprisingly difficult.

barryd said:
    I might pass it on or not I dunno.  Could be useful for jamming I suppose.
    Unless or until you acquire a big bass amp, playing through the Rumble 15 will save you from playing the instrument too hard in a vain attempt to produce audible notes.

barryd said:
    Me fingers are hurting a bit after ten minutes though.
    Persevere. It will be worth it. 

Your calluses need to get a bit bigger than for wimpy little guitar strings. Also, training your hand to achieving even volume notes from hammer on and pull off techniques on bass guitar will increase your facility on guitar.

barryd said:
    The action's not too bad but not sure if or how it could be lowered slightly but it's quite playable.
    On first inspection, the action on a bass can appear extremely high compared to six string guitar. Do not trust your eyes. Use a gauge. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you are anywhere near south Lincolnshire bring it to me and I’ll happily do a setup on it to see if we can lower the action.

I would say you will probably get used to it and actually guitar and bass actions are different beasts.

Many thanks. Superb post FunkFingers.  Over a bottle of Vino, Ive messed on for about three hours tonight and recorded a few bits and pieces and my fingers are fine.  Burning a bit but nothing out of the ordinary.  have to admit though I used a pick and just generally followed root notes.  Is that punishable by death or just disownment?   

I bunged the bass through my Zoom guitar pedal and just used a Marshal Amp, bit of reverb and oddly a Chorus effect and it sounds.  Errr. Interesting but  100% better than the guitar did.  

Christ I am going to regret this but this this is my first attempt.  

Yes, I know I cant fecking sing.

edited June 2018
    @barryd pick and root notes perfectly acceptable. Most important things are rhythm and timing - anyone can learn fancy bass lines but if it doesn’t lock in with the drums it will still sound shit and ruin a song. 

You are doing more than fine - keep up the good work sir 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks.  Im really excited about learning the Bass.  Some say I should have learned the guitar properly first an all but bollocks to them. I can lose myself for 3-4 hours playing and recording stuff and it passes in what seems like minutes.