Are You Tone Deaf?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
edited March 2014 in Theory tFB Trader
I'm sure none of us are, but it's worth a go none the less. 

@ChristophEar of this parish just knocked up this interesting test for the cloth eared. 

http://tonedeaftest.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    97% only one muffed, I blame our last but one drummer and his angry cymbal crashes.  ;)
  • I flumped two of the questions because I double tapped the response so accidentally answered before I could here the tones.  Pesky mousepads. 

Otherwise, thank you @ChristophEar for a nifty tool.  Some of the tones reminded me of Army and Rail hearing tests.
  • Thanks, @monquixote! I've been a quiet lurker here recently but was planning to share this in case anyone had concerns - about themselves or others...!

I'm really sunk deep into this issue of tone deafness and singing in tune at the moment. I think one of the most fascinating parts is how many capable musicians still have lingering doubts about their own tone deafness. Often it's the misconception that if you can't sing in tune then there's something wrong with your ears. It's been really interesting talking to singing teachers about how they help people get past this...

ToneDeafTest.com is just a first little step in a bigger project to help people with all this. But when I tried some of the other "tone deafness" tests online it seemed worth putting a new one out there!

Thanks for giving it a go guys. Any and all feedback is v welcome :)

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Nicely put together. Some of the B ones go high in a slightly unpleasant way, but I suppose the easier ones do have to be strong.
    For years I was told our family was tone deaf (by the family, not a clinic or something), when actually the case was no-one had much musical training - a slightly self-perpetuating myth.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I hear that the actual clinical condition of tone deafness is very, very rare. People just use it as a catch-all to explain that they're not particularly "musical" (whatever that may mean).

I got 100% I'm pleased to say, so my bad musicianship is entirely down to poor taste!  >:D< If I could offer feedback, it might be nice to hear some notes that are closer to each other, maybe to within a 1/4 semitone or something. But I guess then you're not so much testing tone deafness as hearing acuity.
  • I flumped two of the questions because I double tapped the response so accidentally answered before I could here the tones.  Pesky mousepads. 

Otherwise, thank you @ChristophEar for a nifty tool.  Some of the tones reminded me of Army and Rail hearing tests.
    You're welcome, and thanks for the note about sounds. We've had a few people report odd playback delays causing confusion so I'll be looking into that.
  • imalone said:
    Nicely put together. Some of the B ones go high in a slightly unpleasant way, but I suppose the easier ones do have to be strong.
    For years I was told our family was tone deaf (by the family, not a clinic or something), when actually the case was no-one had much musical training - a slightly self-perpetuating myth.
    Cheers! Point noted about the sweeps. I tried to keep them in a comfortable range, but when you're spanning a couple of octaves that can be tricky.

That kind of self-perpetuating myth is exactly the problem, I think. We have a cultural idea of "tone deafness" which has almost nothing to do with actual hearing (dis)ability, and almost everything to do with lack of confidence or experience. It's definitely more common that it's an emotional issue than truly a musical one. I'm hoping that having a computer tell them objectively that they're just fine might help some people get past the emotional issues. This should work better once we're incorporating singing practice too.
  • Cirrus said:
    I hear that the actual clinical condition of tone deafness is very, very rare. People just use it as a catch-all to explain that they're not particularly "musical" (whatever that may mean).

I got 100% I'm pleased to say, so my bad musicianship is entirely down to poor taste!  >:D< If I could offer feedback, it might be nice to hear some notes that are closer to each other, maybe to within a 1/4 semitone or something. But I guess then you're not so much testing tone deafness as hearing acuity.
    Nice work on the perfect score! ;)

True clinical tone deafness is indeed very rare. It tends to be part of a cognitive disfunction called amusia. There's more info on this (currently slightly janky) tone deafness info page we're putting together.

For evaluating your pitch sensitivity you might find this test more useful (warning: give them a real email address! You don't get your results otherwise :/ ) or there's a cool iOS app called InTune which tests and trains you in detail.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    some of the tones didn't play back: in particular (B) a few times on the section where you have to distinguish between which one was lower and higher. Also there was a long delay between pressing the button and hearing the tone which made the experiment much harder.

I've participated in clinical trials for a PhD student friend of mine which was very very similar to this and his model didn't experience any glitches. The performance glitches meant i was unable to complete the test unfortunately. 

I'm sure it will be great when those are ironed out though! Congrats :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hymnal said:
    some of the tones didn't play back
    Thanks so much for letting me know. Could you tell me what device/browser you're on?
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I'm on a macbook running 10.6.8 and using safari as my browser 
  • @Hymnal: Great, thanks - will look into it.
  • Thanks, @monquixote! I've been a quiet lurker here recently but was planning to share this in case anyone had concerns - about themselves or others...!

I'm really sunk deep into this issue of tone deafness and singing in tune at the moment. I think one of the most fascinating parts is how many capable musicians still have lingering doubts about their own tone deafness. Often it's the misconception that if you can't sing in tune then there's something wrong with your ears. It's been really interesting talking to singing teachers about how they help people get past this...

ToneDeafTest.com is just a first little step in a bigger project to help people with all this. But when I tried some of the other "tone deafness" tests online it seemed worth putting a new one out there!

Thanks for giving it a go guys. Any and all feedback is v welcome :)

That's interesting, because my wife constantly tells me I'm tone deaf because I can't sing in tune unless the record is actually on. Even then I'm rubbish. However, according to your test, I'm 100% not tone deaf. I'll need to try one of the other tests for a different reading.

And like Hymnal, I'm on a Macbook, too, but I use OS10.9 and Firefox, and while there was sometimes a bit of a delay, it wasn't too bad.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • And according to the other test -

"Thank you for taking our Pitch Discrimination Test at http://musicianbrain.com/pitchtest.
    At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 6.25 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 46.2% of people who took our test!"

Which puts me well into the bottom half of those who did the test. :-S

Maybe my hearing isn't as good as I thought. :(
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ChristophEarChristophEar Frets: 46
    edited March 2014
    And according to the other test -

"Thank you for taking our Pitch Discrimination Test at http://musicianbrain.com/pitchtest.
    At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 6.25 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 46.2% of people who took our test!"

Which puts me well into the bottom half of those who did the test. :-S

Maybe my hearing isn't as good as I thought. :(
    I wouldn't be too discouraged! This test is interesting but (imho) quite misleading. 

For example, around 500Hz, a semitone is about 30Hz away. That means your 6.25Hz discrimination is 20 cents (i.e. a fifth of a semitone), far better than necessary to distinguish notes apart reliably.

It might mean you'd have difficulty tuning a guitar's strings purely by ear. But it's a far cry from being anything like "tone deaf"!

Also bear in mind that the people who take that test are self-selecting. Being in the bottom half of test-takers does not necessarily tell you much about how you compare to the general population...
  • And thinking about it, the other thing it doesn't take into account is the candidate's age. I'd heard that hearing can deteriorate with age in the same way that sight can.

I'll be 54 in June, so do you know what a 500Hz reading says about my hearing?
  • @TheOtherDennis: Age can be a factor, but it normally mostly affects high frequencies. For example, check out the final diagram on this page which shows it's really 1kHz and up which get affected significantly. 

So 500Hz should be a reasonable choice of pitch to avoid the impact of age-related hearing loss. It's still possible that your age plays a part, but if you can hear the tones without straining, then your age probably isn't the biggest factor in how fine-grained a pitch variation you can detect. That's more likely to be down to your level of training and experience practicing this kind of task.

Apart from the InTune app I mentioned before, there's a nice little online game called Dango Brothers from Theta Music that helps you practice judgement in tuning notes. Might be worth a look if you want to see if you can improve!
    edited March 2014
    Age can affect your ear's ability to hone in on critical bands - ie if there's a noise at 500hz and a quieter noise at 510 hz, the 500hz signal makes more vibration sensitive hairs in your ear activate than when you were younger, so there's not any hairs left unactivated to then pick up the 510hz signal. It's why older people and people with hearing damage find it harder to pick up conversation in noisy environments.

Of course, that's two different sounds happening at the same time, but if your cochlea is suffering from such reduced fidelity I can see how telling subtle pitch changes apart would get harder.
    Ladies and gentlemen, bow down before your new god;

Thank you for taking our Pitch Discrimination Test at http://musicianbrain.com/pitchtest.
    At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 0.453125 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 99.9% of people who took our test!

:-O
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for that. You've just made an old man feel very old indeed. :(