5th Birthday SetList

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
OK, it's looking like this event might just about be viable.  Still like a few (10 or so!) more people to sign up, but in the meantime we'll plan as if it's going ahead.

So, first item on the planning list is the setlist.

We'll base it around the core of songs that have been played at Quad, at Huddersfield, at Northampton and at Waterrats, but we've got some new people coming along to this one, so lets have some new suggestions too.

Looking for up to 3 suggestions each.  Bear in mind that we're mainly guitarists, so songs that really need a full brass section are probably out.  Similarly, we rely on "enthusiasm" from our vocalists, so songs that need a 4 octave range and the ability to hit high C (or A, B, D, E, F or G) are also probably out.

Experience probably shows that a simple song is easier to do well, and a simple song done well is better than a complicated song that's ballsed up.

That said ... lets's have your 3 suggestions, which we'll trim down so that we've got a manageable number to play across Sat & Sun.  Apologies in advance if none of your suggestions make it (which may well happen!)

@markblagdon @vasselmeyer ; @ArchtopDave @LuttiS @thomasross20 @modellista @CustomPedalBoards  @sticker ;@m_c ;@TimmyO @shuikit @guitars4you @Phil_aka_Pip @darthed1981 @Snags @pmbomb @McToot @SteveRobinson ;

@Fandango @TheOtherDennis @richardhomer @Rowby1 - suggestions from your part-timers too please.

Also,
 @Sasquatch_Bob ;
 @Legionreturns ;
 @Bridgehouse ;
 @digitalscream ;

If anyone tagged doesn't want to play on anything, please say that too so that I don't continually chase you for your suggestions.  And remember to bring a doctor's note confirming your reason for opting out
;)

Go ....
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    The Sensitive Kind - JJ Cale
    Cajun Moon - JJ Cale

Or alternatively, something by JJ Cale :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    OK here we go....

Oasis - Live Forever
    Ash - Shining Light
    Manics - If You Tolerate This...

In the case of those three bands I'd be happy to play (and sing ;) ) on any of their songs, all favourites of mine.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Cajun Moon - JJ Cale

You're getting my votes @richardhomer ;
    ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    TTony said:
    Cajun Moon - JJ Cale

You're getting my votes @richardhomer ;
    ;)
    I know my audience! :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

As it’s not that far away - 60 days! and I have holidays before then, I’m going to build on what I know. Want to do:-

Hard to Handle (want to nail that solo better)

Fire (Again!!! might try to sing it as well)

Honky Tonk Woman (and add the solo)

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Is there going to be a separate list for the evening do? There’s other songs (Teenage kicks, Pretty Vacant), that I’d be happy to try ‘live’ to a captive audience.

are you going to need drummers for the evening event?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited June 2018
    Rockin' In The Free World - electric version (Neil Young/Pearl Jam)
    EDIT 2: Never Gonna Change - Drive By Truckers/Jason Isbell You Shook Me All Night Long - ACDC
    EDIT: L'il devil - The Cult  Heroes - Bowie (check out the Motorhead cover -like that).

yeah I like to rock.

Tony/Richard I love a bit of JJ Cale. Mama Don't ?
    mrkb said:
    Is there going to be a separate list for the evening do? There’s other songs (Teenage kicks, Pretty Vacant), that I’d be happy to try ‘live’ to a captive audience.

are you going to need drummers for the evening event?
    I was wondering this as well, I'd sort of like to do a solo acoustic song (or two) in the "open mic" section...

Mainly because I'd quite like to do some open mics and I'd like to try it with training wheels!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I'm a simple kind of guy. Happy to attempt to play on anything given warning, and if singers are rare I can honk out some stuff as long as the key/register works. Don't have a great range these days, though. Can manage really shit bass too if it helps (root and fifth ;))

Song suggestions:

Up to my neck in you - AC/DC
    L'il devil - The Cult
    Little Red Riding Hood - Sam Sham/999 (for shits and giggles)

Absolutely not offended if none of those make it.

Also absolutely clueless as to how these work, so will fit in with whatever, subject to ability allowing.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Bollocks. Would also like to do some acoustic 'open mic' if there is one, for similar reasons to darthed1981. One original, maybe a buskers cover.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Ok - mine are:

The Middle, Jimmy Eat World
    L'il Devil, The Cult
    The Bends, Radiohead

if I can add a couple of acousticky things too if there were to be a separate list, then I'd say:

Jack & Diane, JC Mellencamp
    Dust in the wind, Kansas (bitch to sing though it would be)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

happy to drop Heroes for L'il Devil, so that makes 3 votes for it.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm excluding myself from Saturday main list duties as I'm expecting to be busy running the gig practice room, then going to setup the backline at the club. 

If poss, on Sunday I'd like another stab at All surface, no feeling and Zombie. 

I'm also planning to do Zombie as an acoustic at the open mic along with Free Fallin' 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I'll do the decent thing and add some heavy metal to the list. Not for myself you understand, but just to help those who secretly yearn for something a bit more \m/ . Personally I'd be happy with a day of Simon & Garfunkel classics, but I'm a martyr so here are my choices:

Paranoid (super easy)
    Ace of Spades (a bit more challenging)
    Number of the Beast (for those wanting a challenge)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'll do the decent thing and add some heavy metal to the list. Not for myself you understand, but just to help those who secretly yearn for something a bit more \m/ . Personally I'd be happy with a day of Simon & Garfunkel classics, but I'm a martyr so here are my choices:

Paranoid (super easy)

I'd personally consider it an honour to have a bash at singing Ace Of Spades love that song
    Looks like there'll definitely be a busking acoustic part to the evening do, based on those saying that they'd like to do something busky and acousticy.

:)
    +100 @Sasquatch_Bob bring it on 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll do the decent thing and add some heavy metal to the list. Not for myself you understand, but just to help those who secretly yearn for something a bit more \m/ . Personally I'd be happy with a day of Simon & Garfunkel classics, but I'm a martyr so here are my choices:

Paranoid (super easy)

I was listening to Paranoid an hour or so ago, and thinking that'd be an easy one to play.

Main challenge with some of the suggestions is managing a sensible vocal part that doesn't undermine the quality that we can achieve with the rest of the instruments.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    edited June 2018
    We turned "Purple Rain" into an epic wankfest of solo-trading at the last one so I'd like to do the same for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Happy to share the lead on that and I'll do the vocals on that as well.

@mrkb If you're doing "Honky Tonk Woman" I'll bring along something in open G and play some Keefisms with you.

Perhaps we can throw some easy Hendrix in as well, something like "Foxy Lady".

For something easy "Rocking in the Free World" and I can handle the vocals there too.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Nobody knows you when you're down and out (Old standard, there's a version of it on Layla, it also works as an acoustic number)
    Living Proof (as per Live dates Vol II)
    Demon's Eye (on Fireball)
    Sylvia (no vocals needed)
    Knockin' on heaven's door (easy piece of piss)

I'd also vote for WMGGW
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself