Voting for Composition Challenge 22

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    This has been so difficult, they were genuinely all great this month, but I think I've narrowed down to 3 based on personal taste in music or something that grabbed my ear.

So, going for:
    5 points : @steamabacus - immediately grabbed me with the DTP style layering, just sounded enormous.
    3 points : @stratman3142 - very, very clever.  I've tried transcribing "life" before without much success but I think you nailed it and made it work as a piece.
    1 point : @oaf - I have no idea how you go about creating a piece like that.  It's superb.

Hon mention to @flying_pie for genuinely making me laugh out loud with the lyrics the first time I heard them.  Got me some funny looks in the sandwich shop! :)

Honestly brilliance abound though this month, well done everyone! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Incredibly difficult to choose. All fantastic entries.

My votes go to

5 points @Fretwired : A perfect blend of the music and the track title. An inventive piece that feels like it best matches the guidelines.

3 points @DeeplyDazzled : Great idea that's well executed. The style brings to mind a mixture of Talking Heads and The Stranglers

1 point @flying_pie : Great humour. Made me laugh out loud, especially the fluffed arpeggios. And you even got in a mention of Seagulls. I hope you don't mind me saying that I found the mix a bit harsh sounding on my system. Perhaps it's my speakers.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806

1 point @flying_pie : Great humour. Made me laugh out loud, especially the fluffed arpeggios. And you even got in a mention of Seagulls. I hope you don't mind me saying that I found the mix a bit harsh sounding on my system. Perhaps it's my speakers.

Thanks. I don't mind that and I doubt it's your speakers. This is really useful as it's only the third song I've ever recorded and it's all part of the learning curve.  I was wondering about the mix being a bit harsh before I went ear blind. 

I think the hi hats and guitar were the culprits. l also thought the vocals sounded a bit scooped or thin but I'm not really sure as it's the first time I've ever recorded myself singing in English and not growling in German! I guess they could have been lost in amongst the other harshness.

All such feedback is welcome.
    edited June 2018
    The Soundcloud playlist appears to be down. Is anyone else having an issue seeing it?
    Hopefully it's a temporary Soundcloud issue.

Edit: Ignore that. It's back again now.

It's not a competition.
  • Great bunch of tracks, here's my voting -

5 points - Steam Abacus - Just glorious music
    3 points - Flying Pie - Great arrangement, almost sounds like a Zappa track
    1 point  - Stratman3142 - The Seagull theme
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    This was tough .. all the entries were good .. there was no filler but after much cogitation, deliberation and chin scratching here are my votes. First place was close but musical seagulls just tipped it .. bonkers .. and great slide playing.

5 points to @stratman3142 ;

3 points to @steamabacus ;

1 point to @oaf

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Voting ends this Thursday - 11.30pm 14th June 2018.

It's not a competition.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Nice work everyone!  I've had to listen a few times and I'm still kind of torn but here goes:

5 Points -     @oaf ;     An amazing display of taste and technology(I have no idea how you do that either)

3 Points -     @flying_pie ;    Just as the theme said, you nailed it.

1 Point -      @stratman3142    This one kind of grew on me.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• kinkin Frets: 1015
     1st  @Oaf
       2nd @Bezzer ;
       3rd @DeeplyDazzled ;

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    Very hard to pick out three favourites. I'm sure if I were to vote/listen again I'd score differently!

1st @DulcetJones I liked the smoky, dirty PI vibe and felt this would work as a TV theme. I was expecting sirens towards the end! I think this fitted the brief you'd set yourself extremely well.
    2nd @flying_pie Funny, clever, catchy and energetic. Enjoyable song. Very forward mix (to my ears at least).
    3rd @kin ;Tasteful playing and guitar sounds. Mellow and "Laid Back".

It's my first go at the composition challenge and I've found it quite tough to know how to balance composition/theme/playing/production when scoring but really enjoyed listening to all of the pieces.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Well, I've cogitated and deliberated long enough. Based, as ever, on gut response ...

1st   5 points    @flying_pie  ; Genuinely funny (great arpeggio gag) and a good tune too.

2nd  3 points    @DeeplyDazzled  ; Authentically sozzled cautionary advice. Are you from the Method school, DD?

3rd   1 point     @oaf   ; Very topical, perfectly nailed the vibe and impressive arrangement.
  • Cheers Steamabacus,
    No schooling involved but there is Method in the creation and sometimes in the execution and occasionally both together.
    BTW what was the SC thing i initiated?
    Paul
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258

BTW what was the SC thing i initiated?

I was considering entering 'Dalek Confusion'.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Cheers @steamabacus - BTW can you please incorporate your entry into a epic anthem fit for a stadium gig and let us great the whole thing? I've been listening the the playlist again and picturing it building up in layers to a huge crescendo as the perfect outro, in a November Rain sort of vibe.
  • Cheers Steamabacus,
    Say no more.
    DD
    Voting ends tonight at 11.30pm

It's not a competition.
    Voting closed
    It's not a competition.