Pickup Refurb

What's Hot
I've got a SD Screamin' Demon that I got off FB (not cheap either :|) which has a few issues.

- One of the 2 mounting screw holes on the baseplate has been enlarged somewhat. Meaning I can't mount it.
- The cable has been spliced...and is still too short for my purposes. I was thinking of changing the whole cable but...
- One of the 4 baseplate screws is rounded off :+1: 

What can I do with it!? Does anyone refurbish pickups?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    The pickup could be made serviceable but only as a direct mount. Changing the cable is doable but tricky for the inexperienced. The stripped brass bobbin fastening screw can probably be removed and replaced with a new one. 

Seymour Duncan do not sell separate replacement baseplates TO ANYBODY. You have to ship your pickup back to them. From the UK, this is not economically viable.

Other high quality baseplates are available but these will not have the magic logo etched into them.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks again @Funkfingers. I am wondering whether it's worth throwing good money after bad here.

Sending it off to anyone would push me into the realms of a new SD...

I've messaged the guy I bought it from anyways, so I'll see what he says.
    If the pickup's imperfections were accurately described and/or illustrated in the seller's advertisement, you cannot really complain.

The Screaming' Demon humbucker is intended for the bridge position on a Stratocaster-derived guitar design. It is entirely reasonable for the original output cable to have been cut down to approximately six inches long. i.e. Just long enough to reach the selector switch in a Stratocaster. 

I am aware that a few hardcore nutters on the Seymour Duncan User Group forum advocated using the Screaming' Demon as a neck position pickup. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    pickup feet can be repaired.  New wires can be added.  Removing that stripped screw may be tricky
  • Can you not weld/solder/superglue a nut on the bottom of the enlarged holes ? That way at least you'll be able to mount it.
  • tachycardia23tachycardia23 Frets: 32
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for your replies guys. I could do these things but I am remembering that I'm both a bit of a perfectionist and a bit crap at these sorts of things.

I've sent the pickup back to the seller now as the issues were not described in the advert. Hopefully I can get something else less frustrating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Well the SD is a 42.5 gauge wire with an A5 magnet , so it's not too different to a BKP Cold Sweat neck pickup (which sounds awesome) albeit with a double screw row, and with high carbon hex screws in one coil , so it could work as a hot neck pickup.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Great suggestion... I am resisting the temptation to buy very shiny things. Daily, in fact.
    the SD is a 42.5 gauge wire 
    Useful information. Thank you.

Can you not weld/solder/superglue a nut on the bottom of the enlarged holes ? That way at least you'll be able to mount it.
    I have seen this bodge on a few pre-owned pickups. I would resent finding a repair of this kind on a pickup for which I had paid good money.

Welding? A bit drastic, methinks. It would need to be TIG or MIG. MMA would probably burn through the baseplate lug and shower sparks all over the bobbins.

One other trick worth considering would be those adapters that TV Jones now supplies to make it possible to fit Universal Mount 'Trons into conventional screw/spring/ring hardware.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    It may be a bodge, but I have had new mini hums from lollar that had squares of NS baseplate soldered to the feet to give smaller holes.

it works and it’s solid

i recently repaired some patent numbers.  A larger screw had been used to mount them to a strat, simply forced into the smaller hole.  I squashed it all flat again and ran solder in the damaged threads before recutting.  Worked really well