strange selling practices on here

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
Not naming, but agreed to buy something on the classifieds ,messaged seller saying i will take them.
I had just finished a 12hr shift ,went to sleep, woke up, and now item has been sold to someone else because i didnt get back to them!
I would have thought" i will take them" means "i will take them "..not even 10 hrs given to reply 
if it was a couple of days fair enough but 10 hrs  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    edited June 2018
    There are a lot of people that fuck about and drag things out and go quiet. 
    I can totally understand from a sellers point of view if they go for the first person that presents actual cash
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 26reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Had a guy recently on here asked me to hold a pedaltrain for him until the following weekend as he definitely wanted it, after chasing he finally got back to me to say he didn't need it any more.  Maybe a 'I'll have it, but just been on night shift so going to bed' might have swung it, but understand if someone comes up with the cash then it's difficult to say no.

I lost out on a house for the same reason ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    10hrs  :o =) not a week or 2 weeks is it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I think unless you arrange to make payment - and do so quickly - ‘I’ll take it’ is little more than an expression of interest.

The number of times I’ve e-mailed pictures and answered potential buyers’ questions - only to have them go silent - has made me a tad cynical....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom
    I think unless you arrange to make payment - and do so quickly - ‘I’ll take it’ is little more than an expression of interest.

The number of times I’ve e-mailed pictures and answered potential buyers’ questions - only to have them go silent - has made me a tad cynical....
    sorry mate I'll take them in my language means i will take them ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    If I’m selling the item goes to the first person to send payment, who is not necessarily the first to say they’ll have It. That’s just the way it is.

In the same way I won’t commit to buying something if I’m not ready to make immediate payment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    mark123 said:

In the interests of clarity, I’m not suggesting it didn’t - what I’m saying is there are lots of tyre-kickers around, so for many sellers - until the money’s in the bank, the deal’s not done. Not ideal - but I can understand it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    Been said many a time here: cash is king.

In many ways, so is time. However it is worth having an equal awareness that we all suffer from chronic GAS on here and therefore are likely to suffer varying degrees of buyer or seller remorse (I know I do).
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I always say if I’m interested in something and I haven’t got the cash to hand that if someone else offers cash etc then take it  etc
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    “I’ll take it!” Followed with “pm me your payment details” is deal done. “I’ll take it” followed by silence doesn’t look great tbh. Unless I get paid within a few message exchanges with a buyer the item is still fair game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • So here's one for you.
    When I sold my R8 cheap a while back I had two buyers email me saying they'd have it, within five mins of listing. 
    One paid me within ten mins and one got a little disgruntled as he didn't get it... 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27582
    mark123 said:

The seller isn't obligated by what you say or what you mean. It's first to pay that gets it, not first to call dibs. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    mark123 said:

Yep, Im with you Mark... our forum, imho, is based on intergrity. But there’s a lot of good good people on here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    edited June 2018
    If I were to sell something, and someone said ''Ill take it'' I would at least give them first dibs by sending them a message asking them if they were still interested while letting the next potential buyer know what was happening, but things do have to move in the right direction.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    People actually buy stuff on here? Really?!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    What @robgilmo said 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:
    “I’ll take it!” Followed with “pm me your payment details” is deal done. “I’ll take it” followed by silence doesn’t look great tbh. Unless I get paid within a few message exchanges with a buyer the item is still fair game.
    i pmed him to send me his paypal details ....
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    edited June 2018
    mark123 said:

Yep, Im with you Mark... our forum, imho, is based on intergrity. But there’s a lot of good good people on here
    I think that's where we started.

Back in the day, the Classifieds was a useful add-on to the community that allowed people to buy/sell/trade as part of being in the community.

That's changed.

The seller in this instance isn't really a member of the community.  He's a freeloader who happily uses the platform to sell stuff, but contributes nothing to any other aspect of the community, so - I would conclude - has little interest in the community or its (original) values.  

In that world, cash is indeed king, and he satisfies his objectives in using the forum by selling stuff.  A quick sale is (I'm assuming) what he wants.  

So, he's not being underhand or unfair or any other negative - he's just using the forum in the way that he wants to and the rules allow him to, albeit in a way that's at odds with the expectations of some who've been here a while and are genuine members of the wider community.  Different strokes for different folks.

[edit]
    The above probably sounds more critical of him that he deserves - there's no rule here that says you *must* contribute to other sections and we freely allow people to freeload.  It sounds more critical because my personal view (whether idealistic, naive or whatever) is that the community should be wider than the Classifieds alone, and because the freeloading approach doesn't sit comfortably with me.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
    mark123 said:

cheers i thought i was going mad ....
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Sporky said:
    mark123 said:

The seller isn't obligated by what you say or what you mean. It's first to pay that gets it, not first to call dibs. 
    I’m pretty much with Sporky here though what I do as a seller if I get multiple lines of interest is give people time frames. eg I’ll tell first interested party they have X amount of time to pay before I offer it to the other interested party, and tell second interested party I will contact them after X amount of time either to confirm the first person bought it, or that I can now sell to them. I feel like a day is reasonable. Though I don’t feel like sellers are obliged to do it.

As a buyer I always try to pay instantly or if I can’t then give a time frame to do so - eg I will pay tomorrow before 9am. I feel like if you’d done this you’d have grounds to complain if the seller had agreed to those terms but then sold it anyway.

Most people will honour their word but honestly until you’ve proved it to a person then they don’t have to believe you. If you sell enough gear someone will stand you up or pull out of a deal after you’ve waited... just because you know you’re not like that doesn’t mean the seller knows too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom