What Bass Next?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    VM Jazz.

Get him to try some stuff in shops. That what I used to do with the Kid's before Christmas (to us in this case, not instruments). What they seem to like there can be a good guide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    G&L Tribute.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Schnozz said:
    G&L Tribute.
    That’s not a bad call actually - they can be quite chunky but they are solid and sound great. 

Def. worth discovering whether thin or wide nuts are preferred tho - the tributes are quite wide..
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    At some point in the near future, I would like to buy him a full sized bass but I am not sure where to start.
    Is the object of the exercise to allow your son to continue much as before except on a 34" scale rather than a 30"?

Is the object of the exercise to assemble a small collection of bass guitars, each capable of a distinct set of sounds?

The Squier Jaguar Bass SS adheres to the Precision/Jazz formula of two pickups and three control pots. The simplest change to make would be to a full scale length Jaguar Bass. Next simplest is a Jazz Bass. After that, a Precision/Jazz hybrid - two pickups, three controls, P body, J width neck.

The leftfield option is the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass H. Familiar body outline, narrow nut width, controls in a familiar place but with different functions. i.e. Master Volume + 3-band active EQ. The stock bass humbucker pickup has some meatiness. Its dimensions make it easy to replace with a professional quality pickup.
    Be seeing you.
    At some point in the near future, I would like to buy him a full sized bass but I am not sure where to start.
    Is the object of the exercise to allow your son to continue much as before except on a 34" scale rather than a 30"?

Is the object of the exercise to assemble a small collection of bass guitars, each capable of a distinct set of sounds?

The Squier Jaguar Bass SS adheres to the Precision/Jazz formula of two pickups and three control pots. The simplest change to make would be to a full scale length Jaguar Bass. Next simplest is a Jazz Bass. After that, a Precision/Jazz hybrid - two pickups, three controls, P body, J width neck.

The leftfield option is the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass H. Familiar body outline, narrow nut width, controls in a familiar place but with different functions. i.e. Master Volume + 3-band active EQ. The stock bass humbucker pickup has some meatiness. Its dimensions make it easy to replace with a professional quality pickup.
    I don’t want to disagree with his mighty funkfingeredness, but I’d say go for a straight P bass so he has it in his arsenal. Always relevant, and a solid bass that will fit most circumstances.

He has plenty of years to explore more unusual options..!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    First stop will be to head to some shops to see what he actually likes and feels comfortable with. Not ruling anything out yet..  need to sell some guitars first to fund this  :s
    need to sell some guitars first to fund this  :s
    Try listing here. Perhaps, you can negotiate a trade? ;)

Bridgehouse said:
    I don’t want to disagree with his mighty funkfingeredness
    Aw, go on, Father Crilley. 
    Be seeing you.
    need to sell some guitars first to fund this  :s
    Try listing here. Perhaps, you can negotiate a trade? ;)

Bridgehouse said:
    I don’t want to disagree with his mighty funkfingeredness
    Aw, go on, Father Crilley. 
    Down with that sort of thing
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    ash96 said:
    Check out the Sire basses. cheaper than the MIM fenders and considerably better. I know a bunch of professional players who have these either as a 5 string, or as a back up / different bass.

I had a 5 string Mexican jazz bass, sold it for about £300, bought the sire 5 string jazz for about £180 with a hard case (2nd hand) and it blew the jazz out of the water. Miles better pickups, nice playability, and passive and active circuits in it.
    I use a Sire V7 4 string (great jazz bass with an excellent preamp that adds an active side). They're excellent and as Ash has said here, I know semi-pros and pros who are using them as well when they have Spectors, Fenders, Wals and Yamahas in their arsenal.

They have a new, cheaper range for just over £200 but I've yet to try them.
    He has plenty of years to explore more unusual options!
    Say it. Say Rickenbacker. :-p
    Be seeing you.
    He has plenty of years to explore more unusual options!
    Say it. Say Rickenbacker. :-p
    Shush. You will summon the ICBM Fuzz demon
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyway ‘backers aren’t *proper* full size ;)
    @lovestrat74 - was thinking - I have a PJ partscaster here that I’m not using at the mo - if you want to borrow it to try for size/neck shape etc then you’re more than welcome to have it for a bit.
    @lovestrat74 - was thinking - I have a PJ partscaster here that I’m not using at the mo - if you want to borrow it to try for size/neck shape etc then you’re more than welcome to have it for a bit.
    Nice one @Bridgehouse ;! Bring it along to the next meet (Not Hudds as we can't make it) :+1: 
    Nice one @Bridgehouse ;! Bring it along to the next meet (Not Hudds as we can't make it) :+1: 
    Will do chap.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Rickenbacker
    Rickenbacker
    I’m not sure how Dad feels about getting son a £2.5k bass with a £300 budget...
    He's got his eye on a natural vm  jazz bass at the mo but I am sure that will change again by the time we get around to purchasing one ;)
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I picked up a MIM precision on ebay for £280 without much hassle finding one at that price.