strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    mark123 said:
    lonestar said:
    “I’ll take it!” Followed with “pm me your payment details” is deal done. “I’ll take it” followed by silence doesn’t look great tbh. Unless I get paid within a few message exchanges with a buyer the item is still fair game.
    i pmed him to send me his paypal details ....
    If he ignored that request you have every reason to feel miffed but if he did send PayPal details and had then heard nothing from you several hours later I’m not surprised he sold to ano. Unfortunately there are too many time wasters replying to classifieds so it’s easy to get tarred with that brush if you delay responding, no matter how genuine your interest is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    There has to be a certain level of trust in this place though right? Ive been both a buyer and seller here, both times sending / receiving money to/from a complete stranger that in theory could happily pocket your dough and you’d have absolutely zero recourse.
    I do get the whole cash is king argument, but given that implied trust due to unverified sending of cash, maybe you could wait a bit if someone has committed... just my 2p worth 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Imo it’s bad form not to give the person who said they want it some time to complete.   If someone else shows an interest then explain you are waiting for payment and ask them to give you time to message the first buyer.   
    I understand the arguments about first to pay etc but at least give people a chance - not weeks but a day or so is ok isn’t it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27591
    edited June 2018
    mark123 said:
    lonestar said:
    “I’ll take it!” Followed with “pm me your payment details” is deal done. “I’ll take it” followed by silence doesn’t look great tbh. Unless I get paid within a few message exchanges with a buyer the item is still fair game.
    Ah - that's different.

For what it's worth I've generally given people a day or so  but equally I've had people say "I'll have that for" under the asking price and then get uppity when someone else offers full whack and I sell to the person not haggling...

I do find phrases like "I'll have that"  Or "I'll take that" a bit rude and presumptuous.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've missed out a few times on stuff here. And felt a bit miffed at the time. But I got over it.

As the wife says, "what meant for you won't go by you".
  • As a seller I would always send the first guy a message saying "do you defo want this?,as I've other interest?" And if he doesn't respond,well then he can't complain. A bit of courtesy really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Sporky said:
    mark123 said:
    lonestar said:
    Ah - that's different.

For what it's worth I've generally given people a day or so  but equally I've had people say "I'll have that for" under the asking price and then get uppity when someone else offers full whack and I sell to the person not haggling...

I do find phrases like "I'll have that"  Or "I'll take that" a bit rude and presumptuous.
    I'm probably butchering the law here but my understanding is it's the seller's choice to sell over the buyer's choice to buy (with the usual caveats about not discriminating etc)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Language is important.
    "I'll take them" means "sold".
    I don't see how there can be any misunderstanding about that .

Others on the thread seem to be saying: "Yes but......experience has shown us that people who say "I'll take it" often do not  follow through".
    OK. Lets discuss that then. Why do buyers do that?

A couple of years ago I sold a pair of high end monitors (Harbeth) on Wigwam. A poster pm'd me saying "I'll take them. Will pick them up next week"
    I asked him: "Are we shaking hands on a deal"?  He said yes.
    Language is important. This exchange of words told me that the speakers are now sold.
    The next day the buyer messaged me with an astonishing and tragic story about a series of events that had all taken place in 24 hours. This included him suddenly becoming insecure in his job, but there was a whole list of  reasons why he was backing out.
    There were so many excuses that I concluded that the buyer had the same clear understanding of the phrase "shaking hands on a deal" as I do.

A couple of days later another buyer agreed to buy the Monitors and would "collect at the weekend". He also backed out with a story running into several paragraphs.
    And it then happened a third time.

How do we explain this behaviour? An adult male sees an item that he desires and decides that he must have it before basic considerations such as - does he need it or does he have the means to buy. I am looking for the word and I believe the word is Childish.
    I cannot recall any woman I have known behaving like this.  =)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Skipped said:

How do we explain this behaviour? An adult male sees an item that he desires and decides that he must have it before basic considerations such as - does he need it or does he have the means to buy. I am looking for the word and I believe the word is Childish.
    I cannot recall any woman I have known behaving like this.  =)

No, a woman will just whack it on the credit card, never wear or use it and sling it in the back of a wardrobe only to take it to the charity shop amongst all the stuff YOU actually need and use when she decides you don’t need or use it!.
    6reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I saw a 2017 Epi Dot for sale on Gumtree for £100. Ad had been on an hour. I replied offering to buy it same day for asking price.

Got an email back saying 'sold, somebody coming to look at it tomorrow". I decided not to press the seller as I would have only flipped it.

Later that week, the same guitar reappeared on Gumtree for £220. Different seller. I knew that would happen, not because I am clairvoyant or anything.

I have seen countless threads on FB music gear selling pages. "I'll take it". Then guitar still for sale the following week and no obvious impediment to a straight sale.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    while i sympathise with your frustration (& have been in that same situation many times), the flipside is people saying 'i'll definitely take it'... while they think about it. 'dog in the manger' time-wasters. there are a lot of them.

if you are lucky they message back the next evening & say "sorry, something's come up" with an extended excuse, proportional in length & drama to their embarrassment.
    & that's the decent ones who bother to tell you when they have changed their mind. usually they just go quiet.

as a seller those occasions eat away at your confidence in buyers' expressed intentions. so i know it from both sides. maybe i've become jaded & cynical, but it seems to be common feeling among sellers here.

on the other hand, i will never say to a buyer 'i will keep it for you' if i don't mean it.
    i don't make promises i don't intend to keep. honour thing. & it pisses me off when others do.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1317
    so ....
    what do i say if i see something i want in the classifieds?
    yes, yes ,yes ,yes ,deffo 1000000%i will definitley have this ..

and next time i think ive just  missed out on something i'll fire a message saying i will pay you straight away forget the other bloke who was in before me 

never thought this was a clicky forum...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    i do understand your frustration & have had same. so i didn't mean to sound indifferent or callous in my post.
    & it was more in reference to flakey ebayers, which if you've ever sold on ebay you will know what i mean.
    i've never bought or sold here yet. but generally it seems less flakey than ebay.

i think it's a case of don't count your chickens. but if someone says 'it's definitely yours' & then let's it go to someone else in a very short space of time... i would be grumpy about that.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    I am starting to wonder if it’s just a “guitarists” thing. I’ve had a few experiences of people wanting to buy something and then go silent or make a date to collect and cancel late on. I am a fairly laid back lad so it doesn’t concern me much. 

Yet, I also sell a lot of synths and Eurorack gear and usually I have money in my paypal account buy the second or third email. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    mark123 said:
    lonestar said:

Well that’s different. If you were first in and asked for details then this was poor form. If you weren’t the first to pm about it then I guess you just missed out which is unlucky. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    mark123 said:

never thought this was a clicky forum...
    Of course it is. Every forum is the same in that respect. Every forum has a sub community.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Wouldn't a message saying "I'll take it. PM me your PayPal details and I will pay you - I'm just off nights so it will be in around 10 hours" have prevented the issue from arising?

The guy has obviously had your message but then heard nothing and got an offer of solid cash in from someone else. He doesn't know you and therefore doesn't know if you are a genuine buyer, I think it's very harsh to blame him for accepting someone else's hard-earned cash. Tough selling market out there. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    if it was a forum members with a lot of posts that contributes to the forum more, i’d be annoyed. I usually avoid buying off people without much footprint. That said, I just bought from someone with only 1 post who approached me and he was very honest, helpful and reliable. Item arrived in the original box from years ago and was cheap and well packed. So whilst this place can sometimes be frustrating, it’s usually a lot better than eBay.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    TTony said:
    mark123 said:
    I think unless you arrange to make payment - and do so quickly - ‘I’ll take it’ is little more than an expression of interest.

The number of times I’ve e-mailed pictures and answered potential buyers’ questions - only to have them go silent - has made me a tad cynical....
    sorry mate I'll take them in my language means i will take them ...
    Yep, Im with you Mark... our forum, imho, is based on intergrity. But there’s a lot of good good people on here
    I think that's where we started.

Back in the day, the Classifieds was a useful add-on to the community that allowed people to buy/sell/trade as part of being in the community.

That's changed.

The seller in this instance isn't really a member of the community.  He's a freeloader who happily uses the platform to sell stuff, but contributes nothing to any other aspect of the community, so - I would conclude - has little interest in the community or its (original) values.  

In that world, cash is indeed king, and he satisfies his objectives in using the forum by selling stuff.  A quick sale is (I'm assuming) what he wants.  

So, he's not being underhand or unfair or any other negative - he's just using the forum in the way that he wants to and the rules allow him to, albeit in a way that's at odds with the expectations of some who've been here a while and are genuine members of the wider community.  Different strokes for different folks.

[edit]
    The above probably sounds more critical of him that he deserves - there's no rule here that says you *must* contribute to other sections and we freely allow people to freeload.  It sounds more critical because my personal view (whether idealistic, naive or whatever) is that the community should be wider than the Classifieds alone, and because the freeloading approach doesn't sit comfortably with me.
    Couldn't agree more and on other forums I post on there is generally a post count/time limit on newbies being allowed into the sales area.

IMO it does make the sales more equitable without so many chancers who fancy selling their stuff fee free.
  • Depends.

There are a whole phalanx of buyers out there who express the intent of "I'll take it" , often my first thought is, what, the piss?

Then there are those that merely nod in my direction, and it's money in the bank.

One gets a nose for it, and eventually learns to trust it..  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom