strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Pedal wise, Ive probably bought and sold as much as most on here... with very few bad experiences. 

I tend to PM people, especially newbies, to get a ‘feel’ for them. This process tends to reveal the ‘heart’ of the person; from there I decide if the deal is a ‘goer’.

Im with @downbytheriver here in that you get a sense of who to trust.

Id like to think that honesty and integrity are still the heart of this forum; personally, Id also like to think that people who know me, buy from me on this basis too...

To the OP, mark it as a lesson learnt ar kid :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    The seller has obviously taken the old adage “you snooze, you lose” quite literally in this case...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    23reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    mark123 said:
    Not naming, but agreed to buy something on the classifieds ,messaged seller saying i will take them.
    I had just finished a 12hr shift ,went to sleep, woke up, and now item has been sold to someone else because i didnt get back to them!
    I would have thought" i will take them" means "i will take them "..not even 10 hrs given to reply 
    if it was a couple of days fair enough but 10 hrs  =)
    10 night time hours and 10 day time hours change perception.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    You have to remember that there are a lot of time-wasters and tyre-kickers on here - folk who've said "I'll buy that, send me your details" and then had an attack of slightly-premature buyer's remorse and dragged it out before canning the whole thing.

In that context, "I'll take it, send me your details" isn't actually "deal done" or anything like it, it's just an expression of interest (as mentioned). The seller doesn't know you, and has no frame of reference for your intent other than the above context.

So yeah...it's annoying, but it's the price you pay for free and easy classifieds where the prices are usually significantly lower than elsewhere.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Pedal wise, Ive probably bought and sold as much as most on here... with very few bad experiences. 

I tend to PM people, especially newbies, to get a ‘feel’ for them. This process tends to reveal the ‘heart’ of the person; from there I decide if the deal is a ‘goer’.

Id like to think that honesty and integrity are still the heart of this forum; personally, Id also like to think that people who know me, buy from me on this basis too...

To the OP, mark it as a lesson learnt ar kid :)
    Despite the fact that I think Waz has me confused with @ourmaninthenorth - I completely concur - my first instinct is to trust but you get a nose for it! 

I have one tale tale that presents a more complex issue but I think I’ll save it for now even if it grates with me daily (for the last twenty odd years!)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    edited June 2018
    mark123 said:
    lonestar said:
    “I’ll take it!” Followed with “pm me your payment details” is deal done. “I’ll take it” followed by silence doesn’t look great tbh. Unless I get paid within a few message exchanges with a buyer the item is still fair game.
    i pmed him to send me his paypal details ....
    Perhaps he is a Markist 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    mark123 said:
    so ....
    what do i say if i see something i want in the classifieds?
    yes, yes ,yes ,yes ,deffo 1000000%i will definitley have this ..

and next time i think ive just  missed out on something i'll fire a message saying i will pay you straight away forget the other bloke who was in before me 

never thought this was a clicky forum...

Is it reasonable to call the forum 'clicky' because some don't support your point of view? 'Clicky' suggests some sort of cohorts with the seller but most posting here neither know nor care who the seller is.

In fairness, most members would like sales and purchases to be conducted as you wish they were. They often are between members who know each other through previous history here but @TTony says that your particular seller is a freeloader, someone who just wants the quickest possible sale. He probably had several offers for a bargain guitar and simply accepted the first to pay. That's business even if it galls.

What should you say next time? It's not so much what you say as what you do that matters. If you really want something tell the seller and then make sure you get payment off to him without delay, even if it means sitting up for a while when you'd rather be in bed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Jimbro66 said:
    It's not so much what you say as what you do that matters. 
    This. +1.

Plus I'm a little surprised at the lack of grammar pedants correcting the word to 'cliquey'. Unless the poster was intending to liken people to metronomes....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Hattigol said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    This. +1.

Plus I'm a little surprised at the lack of grammar pedants correcting the word to 'cliquey'. Unless the poster was intending to liken people to metronomes....
    It didn't even occur to me that that was what he meant to say, I thought he was saying something to do with whoever clicks fastest gets the deal. Or something about clickbait. Not that that makes any sense.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Pedal wise, Ive probably bought and sold as much as most on here... with very few bad experiences. 

To the OP, mark it as a lesson learnt ar kid
    Despite the fact that I think Waz has me confused with @ourmaninthenorth - I completely concur - my first instinct is to trust but you get a nose for it! 

I have one tale tale that presents a more complex issue but I think I’ll save it for now even if it grates with me daily (for the last twenty 
    @ourmaninthenorth @downbytheriver ;

That’ll teach me to use an iPad on a Turkish beach !! :)

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1446
    prlgmnr said:
    Hattigol said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    This. +1.

It didn't even occur to me that that was what he meant to say, I thought he was saying something to do with whoever clicks fastest gets the deal. Or something about clickbait. Not that that makes any sense.
    I thought it might have been an arthritis reference.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    As me old Dad always says; If you think that others think the same as you, you will always be disappointed ..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I think the most obvious stuff has been said - depends on whether they are a regular or a classifieds-only type, if they are jaded, and if they have had bad experiences in the past...

..however, the classifieds here are a great resource, they are free to use, and you don’t have to jump over a hurdle to get into them like a lot of forums. 

Itdoesn’t matter where you go, you’ll always get unscrupulous buyers or sellers - that would be nigh on impossible to police. I don’t think it’s any more cliquey here than most online communities.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    I think there's maybe a little improvement could be made on both sides of the transaction, but I can definitely understand why OP is a bit miffed. 

Adding a simple "I'm after a quick sale, so first to pay gets it" or whatever would've made the seller's position much clearer. But then a lot of folks don't invest too much in that sort of forward thinking, or indeed in the community nature of TheFB.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanDan Frets: 440
    Ive brought and sold on here a fair amount. Generally had really good experiences on here

When im selling stuff I go for whoever offers asking first or if its an offer and I accept it, its theirs until it completes, they back out or dont respond to PM's. Even if I get a higher offer. Dont even mind if people back out of the sale as long as they tell me.

If other people are interested, I keep them in the loop and say if it falls through its yours if you want it.

What I dont like (and whats happened to me on here) is when I ask if they will hold it for me until 'x' amount of time. They agree and I get back to them within that time frame and they say its gone.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    After a fair few non-sales on this forum, I prefer those who are open enough to communicate the fact that they have changed their minds or found a more agreeable price elsewhere or a shorter trip to view and collect over those who either go silent or lay the sob stories on with a trowel.

Perhaps, a negative trading feedback timewaster emoticon is called for? 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    theres in easy answer that will avoid all this.
    simply put in the advert, genuine buyers only, time wasters need not apply.   thats 100% guaranteed to weed em out :) :) :)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    i think its all to do with  language. The Rivera amp I bought, I sent the chap a message saying "I will buy this amp off of you, and I'll be down tomorrow to collect". 
    To me saying "ill take this or those then" is an acknowledgement the deal is done/you're interested in the item and agree to the price. If they dick around afterwards then that's not on. I believe that you just need to be crystal clear and stick to your word. If someone says "i'll take it then" i would give them a few days to come back to me, if I heard no response I would then sell to the next in line. It's what I would want as a buyer.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I see the OP's seller has started a discussion in the main guitar section. I think the suggestion of being a free loader may have touched a nerve. 

Now, although I don't consider frets as heirachal, they do indicate a level of engagement on the forum. I'd be more worried dealing with a user with only a few frets than someone with more than 1000 as you'd assume a scammer would get banned before amassing a high fret count. Unless they were playing a really long game. Like @?????
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom