The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    yeah, i doubt there are many other applications for this type of plastic, so you would think they would get it right.   

the 3rd one with the short bevel is yours, the one with the wider bevel is from a  sheet i got from allparts last year - the material is identical.

They are all celluloid and i am currently practising a few hole filling methods on some scrap... one just filled with black gloop, the other filled with a plug of scratchplate and black gloop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    pickup delivery

and a quick test fit

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    WezV said:
    pickup delivery

and a quick test fit

Oh my! Nurse, the screens...
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3137
    Love it, that’s wicked! So so cool!
    this may be a costly mistake.

I decided to wire the black set into my blacktop as the custom style they are meant for has fallen behind the burst.  Its going to be hard to take them out again so i may need a third set

No point wiring the burst up yet as it needs some fretwork first

I had a quick play and comparison with the original.  The neck is certainly in the same ballpark, but with a bit more clarity.  The bridge is a revelation.  I am excited by this
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    So you have found your Holy Grail of pickups?  How does the staple sound in the bridge.  Gibson only had that on the big archtop jazz guitars.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Having played a 54 Custom (reissue, natch) recently I am now fully onboard the staple-train. This thread isn't helping :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Possibly a stupid question but is/was there such a thing as a “dog ear’ staple? - I find myself wondering what these would be like in my Peerless ES295-a-like... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:
    Possibly a stupid question but is/was there such a thing as a “dog ear’ staple? - I find myself wondering what these would be like in my Peerless ES295-a-like... :-)

yeah, some of the archtops had them.  I am not sure if mojo has plans for dog ear covers/baseplates but he does had adjustable/unadjustable with different mounting hole locations.   - that's  4 different cover styles already.. I am sure he will have considered dog ear too

PhilKing said:
    So you have found your Holy Grail of pickups?  How does the staple sound in the bridge.  Gibson only had that on the big archtop jazz guitars.

It certainly works for me.  I was worried I would be disappointed after waiting so long for these. I plan on doing some comparisons once I have the burst wired up.... but I will need to consider some of the variables.   The old staple has the magnets set quite a bit higher, from the coil for one.   None of the guitars are set-up with similar pickup heights yet etc...   The neck pickup is definitely in the same ball park, but has a bit more clarity than the vintage example.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    WezV said:
    PhilKing said:

It certainly works for me.  I was worried I would be disappointed after waiting so long for these. I plan on doing some comparisons once I have the burst wired up.... but I will need to consider some of the variables.   The old staple has the magnets set quite a bit higher, from the coil for one.   None of the guitars are set-up with similar pickup heights yet etc...   The neck pickup is definitely in the same ball park, but has a bit more clarity than the vintage example.

From my limited demo of a neck staple I would describe them as being to a P90 what a WRHB is to a PAF. So clarity and definition but still fatness. I would assume the bridge would be similar but more "bridge-pickupy"?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Its probably not far off.   The coils are likely closer in size on a staple and P-90 than a WRHB and normal HB, but the main difference on both styles is the additional of magnets directly in the coil.

I will do more comparisons further down the line. 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    I keep wondering about a set of staples from Mojo for my Goldtop... you aren't helping.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    I keep wondering about a set of staples from Mojo for my Goldtop... you aren't helping.

you could always just get a neck unit for the classic combination, but the bridge really is worth a look too
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    WezV said:

This one in a dark Oxblood please, light relic treatment too, and no rear binding. 
    This ^ very much this.
    Another vote from the West-Herts jury for this one ^^^^^

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Well I made it semi hollow but no F-hole.  It’s on the back burner for now
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    That black one has definitely got to be made, it's so good looking, I'll be nicking that idea, sorry Wez
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    not forgotten about these, but did end up redoing the finish on the darkburst... i just kept spotting things i was not happy with

it will be flatted off and re-reliced soon... although a fly did help start the process

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    back on track

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    looks like i have not done an update in a while

Just got the frets in, now its clean up, tweak and just make sure i am totally happy before the necks get glued in and we move onto finishing.  boards are still a bit messy but i couldn't resist a pic

Well that was April 2018.   The sycamore one got finished, the mahogany one never did.   

I had the 50's custom to restore so used it for a lot of rebinding practice 

It then went on hold and was badly stored for a long while.   I think I rebound it twice, front and back, before I got my method sorted.... The top was fine, back was still inconsistent.  Top has picked up some damage so neither side is good now...   Just stripped it all off to rebind and finally get this one sorted.

I have a couple of nearly finished projects to revive.  Then I'm hoping to clean out the workshop thoroughly and spend some time finishing.... I don't have space for wood work and spraying at the same time anymore, so will batch it up where I can