What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/140398/

Looks lovely! 12" Celestion

Price ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I actually quite like the 10” speaker in a Princeton, you really do notice how “fast” the speakers are compared to a 12”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    If you click buy now at the bottom of that link it takes you to a preorder page with £1339 listed.  If all they’ve done is change the tolex colour and put a greenback in it they’re having a laugh at that price.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Adam_MD said:
    If you click buy now at the bottom of that link it takes you to a preorder page with £1339 listed.  If all they’ve done is change the tolex colour and put a greenback in it they’re having a laugh at that price.  
    Spot on. It's fugly. Shame as those are great amps.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I think it looks great - but way too much money.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I think it looks quite nice but the price is ridiculous for a PCB 15 watt amp.

The normal ‘65 is too expensive as it is.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited June 2018
    Greatly depends on whether you prefer the '65 circuit in this over the '68 Custom Princeton Reverb. Then whether you rate the Greenback. And then whether you think the 65 circuit + Greenback is worth the extra.

Earlier this year (2018), Fender released a '65 with a 12" Cannabis Rex in tweed*. And a couple of years ago (or was it last year) Fender also issued a Princeton Black & Blue version in dark grey/black tweed with a 12" Celestion Alnico Blue.

* I gave this a good test in GuitarGuitar 2/3 months ago, and it sounded great within the confines of a test booth.

Not tried the Black & Blue.

If you really want a 12" speaker in a Princeton, the cheaper option is to get a standard used '65 or '68, pick up a baffle for £80-ish, and buy your own 12" speaker of choice. A bit of work with a screwdriver, and bob's your uncle. If your lucky, then just over half the price of the new Fawn/Greenback version.

I'm in the process of fitting a 12" Celestion Neo Creamback as we speak, after getting a baffle made by Alder & Ash (thank you Rich). But haven't yet had the chance to finish the job and test it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Adam_MD said:
    Ha ha ha! Follow the link (https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180604328132008--fender-fsr-65-princeton-reverb-fawn ) and you'll see it includes a gig bag?????

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Fawn slub is my favourite tolex colour on guitar amps (see Vox and Carr), however it doesn't look right here with the grill cloth colour and the cream knobs. 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    I guess this is not going to be a good purchase :) Yes indeed, overpriced! 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    edited June 2018
    For not a whole lot more you could get yourself a Rift PR18. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I like the look of it and loved the 12" Greenback in the Morgan PR12. If I was gassing hard for one I would get it.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I really like the look of that. But that is a lot of money.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    Even the standard 65 PRRI is far too expensive for what it is.
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    I think it looks great but there’s an awful lot of competition at that price point.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Go Rift! At that price! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Love the look. Price is laughable though.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    A Greenback is completely the wrong speaker for this amp, far too congested in the mids and I bet all that top-end sparkle is somewhat subdued by it also. The new A-type would have been a better option.

But...I quite like the look of it, it reminds me of 70s HiFi/Radio consumer gear that I find quite endearing. Numbered dials would have really set this off though, rather than the indicator markers designed for Witchhat knobs.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    RiftAmps said:
    A Greenback is completely the wrong speaker for this amp, far too congested in the mids and I bet all that top-end sparkle is somewhat subdued by it also. The new A-type would have been a better option.

But...I quite like the look of it, it reminds me of 70s HiFi/Radio consumer gear that I find quite endearing. Numbered dials would have really set this off though, rather than the indicator markers designed for Witchhat knobs.
    I tried a Greenback in my old Supersonic 22.  Took away so much of the 'Fenderness' and added nothing.  Definitely a try before you buy scenario.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    The speaker really suits this amp. I've borrowed one for a meeting and its one of the best Princetons I've heard. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    Your meetings sound a truck load better than my work meetings
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom