Good drive pedal into a clean HRD?

What's Hot
MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
I'm looking for some drive pedals to run in the front end of the clean channel of my Fender HRD. 

I guess I need some kind of crunchy rhythm tone, plus something higher gain for shredding. If they can be stacked to achieve the high gain then that's even better, because I could have 2 medium gain pedals for 3 overall tones if that makes sense.

I currently have a ibanez mini tube screamer if that information is of much use...

Thank you, you bunch of absolute legends. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Does the tube screamer get you there for the rhythm sound?

Most drive pedals sound good into a HRD, can you be more specific what sound you want?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    This will quickly become a list of every drive pedal on the market! The HRD is a great "pedal platform".

Personally I use a ThorpyFX Gunshot with mine, occasionally boosted with a TC Mini Spark.

I've also used it with a Catalinbread DLS iii and a Suhr Riot for shreaddy stuff  and it sounds great with them all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers guys. I know it's a pretty rubbish thread, probably been done to death on here .I did search, but nothing specifically involving HRD. 

The TS doesn''t really do it for me, but might work as a boost either as a volume after the drive, or to saturate one of the drives before. 

I like a nice saturated lead tone for my shredding. Hot rodded Marshall times perhaps. 
    For rhythm I like a nice chunky medium gain sound

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Cheers guys. I know it's a pretty rubbish thread, probably been done to death on here .I did search, but nothing specifically involving HRD. 

The TS doesn''t really do it for me, but might work as a boost either as a volume after the drive, or to saturate one of the drives before. 

I like a nice saturated lead tone for my shredding. Hot rodded Marshall times perhaps. 

THE HRD is indeed a great pedal platform. The gunshot sounds very very good into mine.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Cheers guys. I know it's a pretty rubbish thread, probably been done to death on here .I did search, but nothing specifically involving HRD. 

MI Audio Crunchbox gives good Marshall tones into a HRD
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    How about the Boss Angry Driver? You get the Blues Driver side for your crunchy, lower-gain sounds, the Angry Charlie side for your higher-gain Marshall tones, and various combinations of the two together.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

The souldfood sounds great into mine, it seems to track dynamics better than a lot of drive pedals, sounds more organic. I like a tubescreamer as well but the Soulfood is better I think, especially at gig volume

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    Nowt fancy, but I used to get good results from a Marshall Guvnor mk2 into my old Blues Deluxe
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    edited June 2018
    Bogner Ecstasy Red. Hands-down the best drive pedal I've ever used. I ran one into a clean AMT preamp pedal (the Fender Twin-alike), into a valve power amp and a real cab, and it sounded absolutely phenomenal. Critically, the "boost" function has separate controls for both gain and volume boosts at the same time.

Sounded better than most amps I've ever used, in fact.
    <space for hire>
  • Great suggestions everyone, thank you so much 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    Bebopper said:
    How about the Boss Angry Driver? You get the Blues Driver side for your crunchy, lower-gain sounds, the Angry Charlie side for your higher-gain Marshall tones, and various combinations of the two together.

+1

I use an Angry Driver on all channels of my MkIII Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and it sounds great, soooo flexible.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Mini Tube Screamer into something like a Boss BD-2, DS-1, Fulltone OCD etc. Either should work as a different-sounding crunch rhythm tone (TS - mid/jangle, other - scoop/chunk), and both stacked give you the lead sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Strymon Sunset

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I stack a DIY Rat into an OCD clone with my Blues Deluxe. That plus occasional Carcosa madness is all I need.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    OCD, tube screamer, done
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    OCD, tube screamer, done
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Lebarque said:
    OCD, tube screamer, done
    Lebarque said:
    OCD, tube screamer, done
    And an echo presumably
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Marshall Shredmaster
    Nobel ODR-S
    Empress Multi-drive (the distortion setting)
    OCD

I have really liked all of those through a HRD
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Bogner Ecstasy Red. Hands-down the best drive pedal I've ever used. I ran one into a clean AMT preamp pedal (the Fender Twin-alike), into a valve power amp and a real cab, and it sounded absolutely phenomenal. Critically, the "boost" function has separate controls for both gain and volume boosts at the same time.

Sounded better than most amps I've ever used, in fact.

I sure loved that pedal when I had it, it really was incredible 
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    ThorpyFX said:
    Cheers guys. I know it's a pretty rubbish thread, probably been done to death on here .I did search, but nothing specifically involving HRD. 

THE HRD is indeed a great pedal platform. The gunshot sounds very very good into mine.
    Gunshot for the win. Seriously, its sounds ace into any Fender (type) amp. TS pedals sound great in front or after the GS too.