How many of your pedals do you actually use?

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2558
So after many years not being in a band when I've built a board with a nice range of pedals including delays, reverb, tremelo and a few different drives - some for stacking purposes, and another post delay and reverb (you've got to have a drive at the end of your chain if your doing anything shoegazy right?), I know find myself in an originals band.

I do most of the writing and started out with plans to use the delays etc creatively, however now that the band is properly taking shape, I find myself using just three pedals - a drive that's always on, another drive I stamp on for loud bits, and the reverb. The rest of the pedals are just taking up space and helping me look the part.... I think it's largely because of the type of music we are playing, loud thrashy Swervedrivery instrumental rock, and the fact that as the main tune writer, I'm mostly playing the core rhythm parts and don't have much opportunity to get overly creative as a guitarist.

Should I be bothered (probably not as long as the tunes sound good)?? Should I consciously try and use the other pedals more (probably yes as long as they compliment the music and sound in keeping with our vibe)?? And anyone else find that in truth a lot of your pedals are just for show? 
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    I've got quite a lot of pedals and three boards. I mix and match a lot. At home I often play without any pedals. I tend to build boards for what I need and remove what I really wont use in that application. 

I generally use an overdrive and a delay/reverb. So that's whats on the board. I've got fuzz, pitch shifters, synths, trem  and filters for when I need them. 

I've got a covers start up which needs a fair range of pedals. I play in an acoustic duo that uses no pedals and no amp. Horses for courses. 

If you can be bothered to swap stuff keep your board as is and dont use the pedals you dont use. You dont have to use a ring mod on a ballad cos its on your board :)
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    edited June 2018
    The last practice i had with my new band i used all 12 of my pedals, sounds like you need a wah, use your delays for intros and it also sounds like you're missing a phaser 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Im not gigging at the mo, and I have a full PT2 and at least as many pedals that don’t fit on there.

But if I was gigging I would specifically cut down to whatever’s needed and little/nothing else. Nothing bigger than a PT Jr unless the gig absolutely needed it. It makes load-in easier, it helps reliability and it makes me less likely to stand on the wrong thing halfway through a song!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I have a "do everything" board at the moment (tuner, volume, wah, overdrive, distortion, chorus, phaser, flanger, compressor, two delays - not in that order!).  I probably use most pedals most times I play in public (in a church setting) - the wah and the phaser get the least airtime.

If I played in an originals band, or even in a covers band of the type I'd likely end up in, I reckon I'd just need drive, compression, delay and maybe a flanger.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    Bass: none
    Guitar: Marshall ED-1 Compressor

I tune up using a Peterson StroboStomp and for my Anderson, a Korg DT-7.  The tuners are not in circuit when I play.

I have a few FX pedals, perhaps I ought to get rid of them.  In a skip????
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited June 2018
    A gate, volume pedal, overdrive, and a delay. Also my current preamp is a pedal so that too.

I don’t even use my tuner anymore. I use evertune guitars so as long as I’ve tuned them that week when playing through my DAW at home I know they’ll be in tune for rehearsal.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    The thing is you just have to use what works. For some bands/styles that isn’t much and for others it can be a lot.

What you use for fun/writing inspiration can be different to what you use with your band too, nothing wrong with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I'm down to 8 pedals on a Metro 20 and use them all during the course of a set.
    The chain is:
    Polytune Mini
    Tumnus
    Barber Gain Changer
    Suhr Koji
    Hotone Soul Press (wah/ volume)
    Buffalo TD-X
    Empress Echosystem 
    Suhr Jack Rabbit

A number serve double- duty, I have a preset on the Echosystem that is a straight chorus without any delay, the Jack Rabbit is sometimes used just as a clean volume boost at the end of the chain so I get a fair bit of flexibility with just a few pedals and there's no room for anything to be just there for show.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    I know this isn't really aimed at me, given that I'm a Helix user, but....with all the capability I have in the Helix, my live use is limited to:

- Two amp models - Soldano Clean and Friedman BE-100.
    - Compressor (for lead sustain)
    - Two delays (either just one, or both)
    - Octaver
    - Reverb

That's it.

When I was a pedals + amp guy, I only had a tuner, a drive pedal (Bogner Ecstasy Red), a Joyo Quattro delay, a Flashback Mini and a wah. If I'm going to do the pedal thing, I prefer to keep it small and simple. Looking the part is totally secondary to the possibility of the singer or bassist treading on my board and arsing things up for me ;)
    <space for hire>
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    edited June 2018
    I'm a big fan of pedals as part of shaping the sound - for me, some of them are like instruments in themselves. 

But - with tastes like mine (instrumental / experimental / ambient) - it's easy to get carried away, and I certainly did after selling off lots of old guitars and collectors' toys and having funds to buy a lot of desired pedals. However, I've always maintained an approach of 'if I don't use it, I sell it', and sure enough I've sold off anything I'm not using.

With my current pedal boards (just two, one for the small/regular size ones, and one for the volume and Whammy plus Synth9, for carrying purposes) I use every single pedal on there - and enough to justify keeping them there permanently. I'm a stickler for having everything I need in one place, and a sense of permanence, so everything I have is used and most of our songs are written using these pedals as key factors for the sound. 

If I was into different music, especially more song-based conventional stuff, or metal, then I'd perhaps have a simpler board with the 'essentials' on, but as experimentation plays a big part in my band/songwriting, the ridiculous pedal setup I have is kind of essential. 

I'm sure many would look at my board and consider many of the pedals 'just for show' or novelty items, but believe me I've been through so many to find the right ones which offer the sounds I want, that nothing's for show. I want good quality stuff that offers those sounds, nothing more. 

(if anyone's curious - and not for showing off, I just like talking pedals - current setup is:
    Guitar >
    EHX Synth9
    Boss FV50H
    Digitech Whammy (4th gen)
    EQD Arpanoid
    Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
    Boss DS-1 Distortion
    EHX Big Muff Pi Nano
    Zoom Multistomp
    Boss TE-2 Tera Echo
    Boss DSD-2 (for sale, to be replaced by TC Electronic Flashback 2) 
    Ibanez Mini Analog Delay
    Boss RV-6
    Digitech Obscura
    TC Electronic Ditto x2
    Digitech Digidelay
    > Amp

A bit of an odd mix, but those are the sounds I want. Still considering an EQD Data Corrupter when I see one cheap enough, but that's it for now!) 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    @joetele ;
    i was looking at Tera Echo demo's last night on youtube. looks interesting, one would imagine the sound of it self oscillating going through another delay to be awesome. I also use the Zoom multistomp (BT100) and for reverbs it is immense
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Pedals on my board I use all the time:

TU-3
    Pickle Vibe
    Riot
    Cali76CD
    Tim Pierce OD
    Timeline
    Trelicopter
    Blue Sky

Pedals I plan to put on a small board (some not yet purchased) for some flying gigs later this year:

TU-3
    Revival Drive
    Flint

Pedals I own but only use occasionally at home:

MM4
    Gunshot
    Budda Wah

If I’m not using them I tend to sell them on.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Only 3, a Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS9 and ISP Noise Decimator.

Other pedals I have but don't use are

Boss SD-1
    EHX Chorus
    Boss DD-6
    Jim Dunlop Wah
    Boss CS-3
    Digitech Drop Tune

• joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    DesVegas said:
    @joetele ;
    i was looking at Tera Echo demo's last night on youtube. looks interesting, one would imagine the sound of it self oscillating going through another delay to be awesome. I also use the Zoom multistomp (BT100) and for reverbs it is immense
    Yeah the Tera Echo is a one trick thing but the trick can be varied so much it's excellent. And the Multistomp is a godsend. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Just now in a 15min bedroom jam play along to a jamtrack I used

Analogman Sunlion (both sides)
    Ventura Vibe
    EP Booster
    Greer Lightspeed
    Catalinbread Belle Epoch
    TC Flashback Mini
    TC HOF Mini
    Fulltone Cyde Deluxe

I regret nothing. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3008
    Hmm,

About 30% on my gig board
    30% on a home board
    10% in the broken box
    And 30% nailed to the wall to make my house look like 'That Pedal Show'.

Swoon.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    How very dare you !  Insinuating that there's a single unused pedal in my possession, the cheek !

er ... a tuner and a Xotic EP boost +/- Zendrive on Robben Ford's magic setting.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    All 9 pedals on my board get used a lot. The other 99% of my pedals are in an attic marked “pedals”. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I used to use all of my pedals. Tuner, Wah, Compressor, OD/boost, Chorus, Phaser and delay.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    DrJazzTap said:
    I used to use all of my pedals. Tuner, Wah, Compressor, OD/boost, Chorus, Phaser and delay.
    That’s exactly what I’ve got (Plus a whammy). It’s all I need. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.