Cover versions that are better than the originals....

What's Hot

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

Controversial, but Pet Shop Boys version of Always on my Mind improves on the already excellent Presley version. Yeah, I know.

Also, Bonamassa's version of Sloe Gin is a superb improvement on Tim Curry's, although the original is quite dark and brooding and good.

And Finally Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love is so good, its synonymous with them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Aretha Franklin and “respect”

nuff said!.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018

Controversial, but Pet Shop Boys version of Always on my Mind improves on the already excellent Presley version. Yeah, I know.

Also, Bonamassa's version of Sloe Gin is a superb improvement on Tim Curry's, although the original is quite dark and brooding and good.

And Finally Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love is so good, its synonymous with them. 

agree with both the soft cell & pet shop boys covers.

i'm barely old enough to remember, but judging by contemporary best-ofs ('now' & 'totp') there were a lot of sh*t covers of classics in the early 1980s when anything with a synth on was a novelty. but those two are stand out excellent.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    I'd nominate Robert Wyatt's version of Shipbuilding ( my memory of this prompted by his OGWT performance which someone posted on here the other day). But, yes, tends to be familiarity really and that's hard for your head to get past. 
    Replying a bit late, but... Wyatt's version is the original - the song was written for him to sing. Costello's version is the cover, if anything. 
    Ahh, okay, I never knew that. 
    Ah, but Chet Bakers solo on the Costello version is magnificent.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited June 2018
    I like most of the songs on the RATM Renegades album more than the originals. Then again they're not really covers, more like rage instrumentals with other people's lyrics.

Social Distortion - Under My Thumb.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    TTBZ said:
    I like most of the songs on the RATM Renegades album more than the originals. Then again they're not really covers, more like rage instrumentals with other people's lyrics.

Social Distortion - Under My Thumb.
    Renegades is the only RATM album I have, but I've never listened to it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3037

I didn't realise it was a cover for a while and thought it was evidence of Bonamassa's song-writing. Nope! :)

I actually prefer the Tim Curry version.

R.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5615
    Just for a laugh, has nobody mentioned this one yet?  No, wait, it was better than the original!

A few more I think are better than the originals:

Rush - Summertime Blues
    Winterplay - Billie Jean
    Pat Travers - Ain't Superstitious
    Crooked Still - Little Sadie (not really a cover to be fair but the best version out there)
    Buddy Holly - Bo Diddley
    Paul McCartney - All Shook Up

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Rod Stewart's version of Jailhouse Rock is bloody good.
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Arguably this is at least as good as the original!

• The yacht rock version of enter sandman

skip to 2.30

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Route 66 - Stones...

they defo nailed that song by making it more Chuck Berry than Chuck himself did.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    mr-mac said:
    Route 66 - Stones...

they defo nailed that song by making it more Chuck Berry than Chuck himself did.
    I guess their’s was based off the Berry version although the song was originally recorded by Nat King Cole. Haven’t heard it for a while but I really loved the Brian Setzer version. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited June 2018
    Gary Moore - Shapes of Things 
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Phil X Superstition 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    mr-mac said:
    Route 66 - Stones...

I guess their’s was based off the Berry version although the song was originally recorded by Nat King Cole. Haven’t heard it for a while but I really loved the Brian Setzer version. 
    Maybe based off hearing his version but Berry's sounded most like his normal trademark 12 bar riff.  Where as stones brought it up to what a Berry song should have sounded like and of course added a whole chunk of themselves
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    mr-mac said:
    mr-mac said:
    Route 66 - Stones...

Maybe based off hearing his version but Berry's sounded most like his normal trademark 12 bar riff.  Where as stones brought it up to what a Berry song should have sounded like and of course added a whole chunk of themselves
    Just playing different versions as I’m cleaning up in the kitchen. The Berry version is different to the Cole version and then the Stones version takes it further. They were each a few years apart so there’s a clear evolution but it does mean listening to them back to back the Berry one becomes the version that isn’t quite one thing or another. 

I think Cole is overlooked a bit these days, I guess he didn’t have Rat Pack cool and he did record a lot of schmaltz but he was a tremendous jazz/ blues pianist and had such a rich voice. Or perhaps I’m getting old enough that Nat King Cole is starting to appeal and I’ll start cranking up Andy Williams and Perry Como next...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5615
    The yacht rock version of enter sandman

skip to 2.30

Oh I do like that!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    That reminds me...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein