strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4664
    Sesh said:
    I see the OP's seller has started a discussion in the main guitar section. I think the suggestion of being a free loader may have touched a nerve. 

Now, although I don't consider frets as heirachal, they do indicate a level of engagement on the forum. I'd be more worried dealing with a user with only a few frets than someone with more than 1000 as you'd assume a scammer would get banned before amassing a high fret count. Unless they were playing a really long game. Like @?????

Cue everyone checking to see who has posted today 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4998
    Sesh said:
    I see the OP's seller has started a discussion in the main guitar section. I think the suggestion of being a free loader may have touched a nerve. 

Now, although I don't consider frets as heirachal, they do indicate a level of engagement on the forum. I'd be more worried dealing with a user with only a few frets than someone with more than 1000 as you'd assume a scammer would get banned before amassing a high fret count. Unless they were playing a really long game. Like @?????

I can’t spot it. Anyone got a link to it?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Me neither!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Let's face it, the classifieds here aren't perfect - and they never will be and you can't please everyone - no site has perfect classifieds!  

But they are 100% free and the ads reach quite a broad niche audience.  

Weighing the pros and cons up I think we're pretty lucky to have here to be selling on.  Yes, sometimes things like this do happen, but I'm sure that things go smoothly more often than not.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Does the username also appear in the title of a Morecambe and Wise movie?!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Don't worry about it - buy my stuff instead
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    edited June 2018
    Does the username also appear in the title of a Morecambe and Wise movie?! 
    Lol awarded for nice obscure reference but I raise you Metronomy.

I can see both sides here and it seems just to be a communication breakdown. However, if someone has asked for my PayPal details, then it is on hold until it becomes clear that no sale is taking place. 

I have had a few cases of 'Ooh lovely, lets book a courier'. Then nothing, nada, zip! Would have preferred to be informed of the change of heart rather than landing myself in more debt on the back of a sale that did not go ahead. 
    Does the username also appear in the title of a Morecambe and Wise movie?! 
    Lol awarded for nice obscure reference but I raise you Metronomy.
    Metronomy eh - do they play to a click track.  :)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I thought this thread was about missing out on some rare guitar opportunity but it turns out that all the drama and tears is about a set of Tele pickups. Wow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6984
    Sesh said:

Hint: it’s got nothing to do with buying and selling, more to do with Peter Green and Slash.  
    Cols said:
    Sesh said:

Hint: it’s got nothing to do with buying and selling, more to do with Peter Green and Slash.  
    Thanks, although we’d got there already - see posts above.  :)
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited June 2018
    It would be funny if any of us selling stuff, decided to open a thread everytime someone expresses interest in something we have for sale and then proceed to disappearing form the face of the earth...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    I've dealt with many timewasters buying and selling on forums, ebay and Gumtree. My mantra is always the first to pay me gets it. If the OP wasn't going to be able to pay for a period of time he could have told the seller. The seller wasn't to know you had just worked a night shift and were going to bed. It's understandable that he thought you had changed your mind. The fact is though that the OP could have averted this situation, so you can't lay the whole blame with the seller.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I'll give my opinion from the other side. . I was fully intending    to buy a djembe from @richh ; with my redundancy  unfortunately the amount was not what I was expecting and then the new job fell through  so I had to withdraw fro the sale , I offered to pay for the wasted time which he graciously declined,, he was a thorough gent regarding the change of cirsumstances and I still fell bad about it now, so it's not always as clear cut as buyers remorse :( sometimes life throws a curve ball and you have to change your financial  priorities, :/
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    I'll give my opinion from the other side. . I was fully intending    to buy a djembe from @richh ; with my redundancy  unfortunately the amount was not what I was expecting and then the new job fell through  so I had to withdraw fro the sale , I offered to pay for the wasted time which he graciously declined,, he was a thorough gent regarding the change of cirsumstances and I still fell bad about it now, so it's not always as clear cut as buyers remorse :( sometimes life throws a curve ball and you have to change your financial  priorities, :/
    sure but the difference there is that you were responsible enough to actually contact the seller and let him know the situation had changed. Not only that, it's a very unfortunate situation. As a seller I completely understand that, and I'll move on.

Some people never say a word again, they just can't be bothered. Others expect you to still have something available after 2 weeks, when they contacted you and said they were interested.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Jimbro66 said:
    I thought this thread was about missing out on some rare guitar opportunity but it turns out that all the drama and tears is about a set of Tele pickups. Wow.
    its the principle mate
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I am totally on the side of the OP.  If I say I'll take it and enquire how to pay, I do not believe that ten hours is an unreasonable time to wait for a seller to wait for my payment.  In fact, and I've got a feeling that I'm going to get flamed for this, I'll wait a whole day.  

Saying that, I've only had one tyre kicker on here, who according to his account lived local to me . I gave him my number to contact me so he could look at the Les Paul I was selling - he disappeared.  Luckily Ellwood turned up and saved the day for me and I swapped it for a tasty Vigier . 
  • mark123 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    its the principle mate
    Quite right . If someone can't honour a sale of pickups, can they be trusted with a guitar or amp sale?
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2342
    back in 2013 i advertised a speaker cab on gumtree for £30.   someone rang up saying they desperately wanted it, rang up again to say they wanted it but couldnt get it until they got paid in three weeks time. Never heard back, shall i let it go or just move on?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited June 2018
    To be honest I mostly sell on eBay these days via Buy It Now, and only do shipping (not collection).  I just wait for them to do sales on fees, overall it's worked out the least hassle way to sell things.  My experience with selling on the forum has been positive, but the market is small.