UK-made Filtertron questions.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Have now installed my humbucker sized filtertron made by Alegree on here, I really like it sounds awesome in my new telecaster.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    Cowtrons are Dynasonic style single coils. For Filtertrons, the coils being close together is critical to the tone.  Many HB style Filtertrons have coils placed with regular spacing, which results in a more PAF like tone.  Lollertrons being my prime example, they are nice, but not typically Filtertron like. 

If if you want Filtertrons, but proper Filtertrons. TV Jones or Gretsch HS. I even love the Blacktop Filtertrons, they sound excellent with gain when dialled in ‘just so’. 

Not correct actually: my Sun-Trons are Dynasonic style, my Cow-Trons are Filtertron style. The bobbins and spacing used in my Gretsch style Cow-Trons are exactly the same as a normal Gretsch Filtertron, and there is 1.5mm difference with my Humbucker version (these use the correct profile curved top covers as fitted to Lollars). 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Lots of nice options here, but only Mojo seem to do the pat number cover which looks original. Jess Ls seem good value though.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    Lots of nice options here, but only Mojo seem to do the pat number cover which looks original. Jess Ls seem good value though.

I don't see any Tron-style pickups on the Jess L website.

Yes, this thread has been useful in uncovering a number of more reasonable hand-wired pickups. I am probably going to go with Fletcher, but I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the aforementioned brands!
    TJT1979 said:

I don't see any Tron-style pickups on the Jess L website

Apologies - for anyone looking they are only in HB-size and are on the Telecaster page (!!).
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    TJT1979 said:
    TJT1979 said:

I don't see any Tron-style pickups on the Jess L website

Apologies - for anyone looking they are only in HB-size and are on the Telecaster page (!!).
    Funny, he definitely used to do some. Probably worth keeping an eye on or dropping him an email.

For what it’s worth OP, I think you’ll be pleased with the fletchers, he winds a good pickup.
  • TJT1979 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    This is not a great video, but it'll give you an idea of the tonal differences between a filtertron and a supertron.  Powertron thrown in for measure.

In my opinion, I prefer Supertrons in the neck, and Filtertrons in the bridge or neck. Supertrons are smoother and slightly jazzy, Filtertrons are punchy and sparkly/chimey.    All are SUPER sensitive to pickup height adjustment.

Haha, Guns and Guitars. Only in America!

I agree, based on that video the Classic and Powertrons both sounded livelier than the Supers in the bridge.

Thanks for that - helpful!
    Gutted an AK47 was not included in the shoot-out

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    tFB Trader
    Wow a thread from the dead :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes! In the end I got a real TV Jones Classic + cheaply from the US. I struggled with them. The mids and highs were great but there was no twang on the low strings. I later read that this is basically part of the sound. For palm-muting I found them dull. Eventually I sold them here. 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I had a look on the Mojo website; the Filtertron style don't seem to have the Pat number on them, just 'Mojo UK'. Was this a special request option?

(I note that this thread was from 2018, maybe they don't do it anymore?)