5th Birthday **Gig and Acoustic** setlist

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
Right... to start with this is just information gathering and I'll collate into a meaningful list and plan once populated. 

The evening plan is to decamp to a local bowling club, where @Sasquatch_Bob and I will have already setup a full backline including drums, PA and amps. 

The first "set" will be an open mic acoustic set which at this stage I'm guessing will be around 45 mins to an hour. Given that we've already had a lot of interest in this, I'm going to say each person that wants to do this can do 1 or 2 songs max, but I may revise that to 1 if we get lots more. You'll have a guitar lead and a mic, standard open mic setup, but with the option of enlisting a (quiet!) drummer to back you. It's up to individuals to arrange this themselves with fellow jammers.

During the acoustic set the BBQ should be serving (Bring burger and beer money!).

Then I guess we are aiming for a full band set of between 10 and 12 songs. The aim being to keep this as gig real as possible so minimal gear changeovers. During the day room 2 will be dedicated to gig practice and we'll decide between us on one or two pedal boards to be used, with the amps being constant. We can also mess with song keys/ tunings and arrangements to get them slick and in singers ranges. We'll need a drummer and bassist to volunteer for each song and again minimise gear changes. 

Please indicate in this thread what you want to do, with the prefix "B" for band and "A" for acoustic.  

I'm going to assume that acoustic performers will not want dedicated practice time in the room, but if you want beats you're welcome to grab some time in room 3 if you manage to enlist a drummer. 

Any questions, requests and offers for thumps and beats welcome.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2018
    acoustic songs

Legionreturns - Run - Snow Patrol, Free Fallin' - Tom Petty

edited June 2018
    Reserved for band songs

Zombie - The Cranberries - Legionreturns, Bridgehouse, Vasselmryer & ? 

I'm sure this will come in handy too

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Newbie questions, please to be forgiving me etc. etc.

a) Do you want separate comments for [A]coustic and [B]and responses?

b) Is it one or the other, or potentially both?

c) Will the Band setlist fall out of what goes well at the studio earlier in the day, or be completely separate? (Just trying to get my head around time, and pre-meet learning time)

The not-so-hidden sub-text being I'm up for doing something in the acoustic set, as it ticks off a challenge-to-self to do an open mic with the advantage that no-one actually knows me, but I'd also be up to band involvement if appropriate and able to get up to an acceptable level of competence on whatever the song(s) are. But I don't want to be gauche and trample over time-honoured FB traditions of which I'm ignorant.
    For now it's just chucking out song ideas for the band bit, so 1 or 2 ideas that we can discuss, with an indication of which part you'd like to play.

Acoustic stuff, the assumption is that you know your pick and are happy to play and sing it. 

All on 1 post is fine. 

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited June 2018
    For now it's just chucking out song ideas for the band bit, so 1 or 2 ideas that we can discuss, with an indication of which part you'd like to play.
    Morning. That's here, no? http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133512/5th-birthday-setlist/p1
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Hi @legionreturns I'd like to do one or two songs in the acoustic bit but I'm working on which ones, I can post after the weekend when I've had a chance to sit down with my acoustic.

I'd be up for being in the main band set for a simple song that I know a bit already, I suspect the list will be made of "jam favourites" but my obvious suggestion is that you close with Comfy - there is always a great performance at the jams of this.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    pmbomb said:
    Morning. That's here, no? http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133512/5th-birthday-setlist/p1
    That thread is for the jam, this thread is for the evening gig @Legionreturns is organising at a pub @pmbomb

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    edited June 2018
    pmbomb said:
    That thread is for the jam, this thread is for the evening gig @Legionreturns is organising at a pub @pmbomb

Ah ok thank you @darthed1981 
    Thanks.

In which case ...

A is for Acoustic
    Yes please to a slot so I can nail my "do an open mic before your 50" with plenty of time to spare.

Not sure what songs yet - possibly a couple of originals if i have enough confidence in them. If they're covers it's likely to be simple stuff (Bad Moon Rising, Stuck in the middle with you, Believer etc.) - if someone blags all of those first I've got some more obscure ones up my sleeve (Jon Foreman, Martyn Joseph).

B is for Band
    I'm definitely up for being involved. No particular song suggestions, but happy to sit in anything simple/middling in a rhythm capacity, or pull simple inaccurate bass duties. Will sing as long as it's a song in my register and I have a guitar to hide behind, so that might be best left for a last minute decision after the afternoon jams ;)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Wouldn't mind being involved in the band side of things.. tbh, I'd think it's more of a decide on the day type thing though, as would need to find willing chaps and decide if we're up for it and what not? 

Failing that I suggest Ooo Arr just a little bit by Gina G and no limit by 2 unlimited. Guaranteed stage smashers. 

Happy to bass/drums/guitar and what not.
    edited June 2018
    For band night? What's the easiest Status Quo song? "Whatever you want"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Just a thought...

I can see a lot of us thinking in the night of the gig - "why not just play what we played in the studio". Then we know the line-up, we've run through the song before, etc. Not that it will be exactly the same set list, but it seems sensible to have at least some repetition. 

Just a thought...

I can see a lot of us thinking in the night of the gig - "why not just play what we played in the studio". Then we know the line-up, we've run through the song before, etc. Not that it will be exactly the same set list, but it seems sensible to have at least some repetition. 

Absolutely, although with some flexibility to accommodate singers, and notwithstanding that we'll not necessarily have the same drummer available. 

Also, being entirely selfish, I'll not be jamming on the Saturday as I'll be too busy but would like to play/ sing on something in the evening. 

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Totally, agree completely. 

Was as just wondering whether it was ok to put the same songs in this list as the studio one given that for those of us doing both sessions it's sensible to repeat the songs. 

If if it is..

Shoot me down if this sounds too ambitious but it might me a nice transition between the acoustic and electrics sets to play

Time Of Your Life - Green Day

into

Basket Case - Green Day

and if we can get a band together who have the courage to attempt 

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - Green Day

We'd need a tame acoustic player for TOYL and Boulevard.  Form an orderly queue...
    If we want to mix it up a bit in the evening, how about some relatively simple blagging songs, e.g. Are You Gonna Be My Girl (Jet)?

Or I Hate My Life by Theory of a Deadman (although not very family friendly if that's an issue).

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    Legionreturns said:...

The first "set" will be an open mic acoustic set which at this stage I'm guessing will be around 45 mins to an hour. Given that we've already had a lot of interest in this, I'm going to say each person that wants to do this can do 1 or 2 songs max, but I may revise that to 1 if we get lots more. You'll have a guitar lead and a mic, standard open mic setup, but with the option of enlisting a (quiet!) drummer to back you. It's up to individuals to arrange this themselves with fellow jammers.

...We'll need a drummer and bassist to volunteer for each song and again minimise gear changes. 

Please indicate in this thread what you want to do, with the prefix "B" for band and "A" for acoustic.  

I'm going to assume that acoustic performers will not want dedicated practice time in the room, but if you want beats you're welcome to grab some time in room 3 if you manage to enlist a drummer. 

Any questions, requests and offers for thumps and beats welcome.
    Ok just thinking out loud here but I thought the idea was to have more people play together ie partner up or do an acoustic ‘house’ band with a changing frontman?

Otherwise it’s going to be like every other open mic night and I don’t need to do a 300 mile round trip for that . 

With that said , I’m a competent ‘all rounder’ I play mainly rhythm guitar, bass(I even have an acoustic bass if required)  , can play drums or a Cajon for acoustic stuff and can sing backing vocals or lead vox at a push too (more pop/soul suited stuff than rock though). 

Im happy to help anyone out , in any way . 
    Id also like to break my open mic duck but would prefer to partner up and perhaps do something out of my comfort zone .

Cheers 
    Stu

edited June 2018
    @modellista I'd be happy to play acoustic for TOYL assuming the strumming style on their vid is OK, rather than the mad fingerstyle tabs that are all over the place.  Haven't listened to Boulevard yet.

Equally happy to let someone who actually knows Green Day do it too

EDIT: listened to it - yeah, that'd be fine too, it's a piece of piss (oh hubris)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    pmbomb said:
    For band night? What's the easiest Status Quo song? "Whatever you want"?
    There's no such thing as an easy Quo song. The band needs to be incredibly tight for it to work.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    I've got a sh!t tonne of acoustic songs but would like to dedicate two to Sheena.
    As for band, I can do any GNR/Van Halen etc song with advance notice or let's do a Kenny Loggins one..... :) :)