What's Hot
13»

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Excellent post @CasperCaster ;
    +1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well done for persevering - looks great @munckee (with a little help from his friends)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    paulnb57 said:
    Looks great! Soo glad you didnt strip the body!
    Its survived so far for being satin nitro.  @lovestrat74 had a stripped baja at the southern jam that looked amazing.  I will wait until I get the rosewood neck on before deciding.  I do like it but I really like natural and faded sunburst...

@caspercaster the pickguard came from guitars electric on ebay, I've used them before and liked their guards.  I did have to file the humbucker hole to get it to fit.

Re the bridge saddles, I could tell they are wrong and I think the neck action needs amending.  Do you think I just need to turn the saddles around or have I got the saddles in the wrong order, I struggled to find much about height and depth of brass saddles.
    munckee said:

Re the bridge saddles, I could tell they are wrong and I think the neck action needs amending.  Do you think I just need to turn the saddles around or have I got the saddles in the wrong order, I struggled to find much about height and depth of brass saddles.
    Should be like this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    @lovestrat74 picture above shows what they should be like perfectly. I think you'll have to swap saddles around so that the E-A and b-e saddles are the same angle (low E and b closest to bridge on their respective saddles). The D-g is angled the other way as you can see in the picture. If I've sent the wrong saddlles let me know and I'll pop some others in the post 
    @lovestrat74 picture above shows what they should be like perfectly. I think you'll have to swap saddles around so that the E-A and b-e saddles are the same angle (low E and b closest to bridge on their respective saddles). The D-g is angled the other way as you can see in the picture. If I've sent the wrong saddlles let me know and I'll pop some others in the post 
    Have changed round the saddles and I think sorted the set up.  Had an issue with the action which turned out to be the neck not being sat quite right, only 1mm or so but correcting made a huge difference.

Only issue now is I have realised the inbetween position does not appear to incorporate the bridge pickup so more meddling required!
    Anyone have any thoughts on why the middle position is neck only, I have from what I can see followed the schematic?
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Put the switch in the middle position and see the which lugs the metal contacts on either side touch. Your neck pickup or wire to the volume pot won't be connected to one of those.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    So ordered a 7.25 rosewood allparts nitro finished neck from @gavin_axecaster which is an absolute humdinger together with a bone nut.  Didn't need any work and is just what I wanted.  Quick pic will take some decent ones later.  Amp is for sale in the classifieds!

https://i.imgur.com/OQdVPJq.jpg

Its gone from a funny looking thing to an absolute beaut....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    IMHO that’s looks better than with the maple fretboard.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited July 2018
    Have checked the wiring again, from what I can see I have followed this exactly:

https://i.imgur.com/eRZiDIZ.jpg
    But the middle position is just neck.  Not very clear from this picture but is the same as the diagram except the filtertron has the single wire and the metal shielding is acting as the ground.  I added to this a single wire between the two pots as an additional ground, the black wire at the top of the picture.  I have checked the conenctions and they all seem physically attached.
    https://i.imgur.com/jmpJEIy.jpg

Which connection links the bridge to the middle switch as I will start by desoldering and reattaching.

Any help as usual gratefully received!

Edit I do not have the second capacitor between the volume pot and the switch as this was not on my diagram or the video I followed.
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    Edit - I think an output connection is missing from the top left lug of the switch.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Is it me or in your pic have you got the bridge going to the 1st terminal? Your diagram show it should go to the second terminal... also, the leg in your cap looks like it’s touching the back of the pot, get some heat sink on it!
    Sorry think this is the one I used from Seymour Duncan:

https://i.imgur.com/jooay7a.jpg

@poopot I did check the cap its not touching.
    tFB Trader
    3rd one down on the right side is likely your issue.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    This needs a link...

Plus, even tho’ the cap is not touching, get some insulation on there anyway!!!
    poopot said:
    This needs a link...

Plus, even tho’ the cap is not touching, get some insulation on there anyway!!!
    righto chief will do.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Great looking build, what a beaut! Nice job that man. :)
    Alegree said:
    3rd one down on the right side is likely your issue.
    Was the one above it on the left side, now all working.  The guitar is better than my roadworn tele I disposed of.  Absolutely love it.