Spotting a fake SM58 ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
I’ve been asked to repair a knackered SM58 although it’s heritage would suggest it’s very likely genuine (having once belonged to a band that got to #4 in the UK singles chart), I have my doubts as it fails a few of the checks listed here: https://fakesm58.wordpress.com/

Namely, the threads on the body are black, the weight is wrong and the foam inside the grille is black not grey.  However, everything else is right; the green and yellow wires and the red quality control printing on the circuit board.  The sticker has long vanished from the capsule though.

Now... I’m wondering if this mic has had a third-party grille fitted at some point, as although the width of the central band is correct at 4mm, the shoulder around the thread is sort of halfway between the two examples on that site.  Neither one or the other.

So, in order to confirm my suspicion, would some kind soul with a known genuine SM58 and a set of digital scales be kind enough to unscrew the grille and weigh the mic, then the grille for me please ?

The one I have here weighs 260g for the body and 43g for the grille.

Thanks bigly.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I can measure the weight some 58’s at work tomorrow but I would think it’s a genuine with a replacement grill.    Nearly all the fakes I’ve seen have the wrong colour wires and printing on the connector and board, if those are right and it sounds right then it’s probably fine. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    Very kind of you squire... thank you.
    Did you get a chance today mate ? @John_P ;
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    edited June 2018
    I’ve just measured 3 -  
    With the grills they are :  314g, 321g and 324g.    Without the grills they are 271g, 276g and 278g

A bit more variation than I expected and I’m fairly confident they are real yours is a little lighter than mine but if it sounds ok compared to another one and the usual visual clues are right then I wouldn’t worry.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks very much John - much appreciated !