strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    back in 2013 i advertised a speaker cab on gumtree for £30.   someone rang up saying they desperately wanted it, rang up again to say they wanted it but couldnt get it until they got paid in three weeks time. Never heard back, shall i let it go or just move on?
    I could buy it off you when I win the Lotto. Will you save it for me?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    I'd like to think that honesty and integrity are still the heart of this forum.
    It might be easier to build a reputation for honesty and integrity if members bothered to leave trading feedback. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    It might be easier to build a reputation for honesty and integrity if members bothered to leave trading feedback. 
    All part of the loss of "community".

In the early days, most trades seemed to get feedback left and reputations were build and reinforced.  Nowadays ... join up, sell / buy something, bugger off until the next time.
    :( 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Yes, this gets my goat, I’ve done quite a few deals on here both as a buyer and seller yet my trading feedback score is low simply because people don’t leave feedback - despite me leaving it for them!

It’s not exactly hard to search the “Help and Feedback” section for somebody’s is it?
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    TonyR said:
    Yes, this gets my goat, I’ve done quite a few deals on here both as a buyer and seller yet my trading feedback score is low simply because people don’t leave feedback - despite me leaving it for them!

It’s not exactly hard to search the “Help and Feedback” section for somebody’s is it?

I've often sent a message saying I've left feedback, which usually prompts them to do the same.  I've got my feedback link in my signature, so it should be easy to find.  But if you really wanted the feedback you could PM your feedback thread rather than relying on them to search.  IIRC it's not that easy to find a feedback thread unless you go in a specific way.  If you just use the forum search on the top right it won't be one of the top hits just from searching there, so I suspect some people just can't be bothered after that point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TTony said:

In the early days, most trades seemed to get feedback left and reputations were build and reinforced.  Nowadays ... join up, sell / buy something, bugger off until the next time.
    That’s part and parcel of being successful and growing as a forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    TTony said:

Judging "success" depends on what the objectives were.

Judging "growth" depends on what the metrics are.

The forum has changed.  Naturally, of course.  Has it changed for the better?  That's subjective, depending on what you think is good, or bad.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

Judging "success" depends on what the objectives were.

Judging "growth" depends on what the metrics are.

The forum has changed.  Naturally, of course.  Has it changed for the better?  That's subjective, depending on what you think is good, or bad.
    I’m not sure you’d have all wanted to carry on doing it if it was only running for a few hundred members 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    TonyR said:

If I’ve bought or sold on here I always send the buyer/seller a link to my feedback page and ask if they wouldn’t mind leaving me feedback if they were happy with the deal. I also say that if they send me a link I’d be happy to leave feedback for them. So far I’ve always had feedback left for me and I’ve sometimes been sent a link so I can leave feedback for them. Some people just don’t seem to be aware that there is a feedback system though, and I once had the reply - ‘feedback, I didn’t know that was a thing!’  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    If I’ve bought or sold on here I always send the buyer/seller a link to my feedback page and ask if they wouldn’t mind leaving me feedback if they were happy with the deal. I also say that if they send me a link I’d be happy to leave feedback for them. So far I’ve always had feedback left for me and I’ve sometimes been sent a link so I can leave feedback for them. Some people just don’t seem to be aware that there is a feedback system though, and I once had the reply - ‘feedback, I didn’t know that was a thing!’  :)
    That was certainly the case for me. Most my buying and selling was done during the first year of membership. There have been the odd items since but not much. It was only after I’d been here for some time, well over a year, that a member I bought a pedal from offered to leave me feedback. I had no idea what he meant. I’d thought of feedback only as an eBay thing. By then it was too late really to start building up a feedback page as most my sales/purchases were behind me. I rarely use the classifieds any more but the lack of any trading feedback does not seem to be an obstacle when I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So, @mark123 , did you leave the trader some feedback?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11859
    edited June 2018
    mark123 said:
    I think unless you arrange to make payment - and do so quickly - ‘I’ll take it’ is little more than an expression of interest.

The number of times I’ve e-mailed pictures and answered potential buyers’ questions - only to have them go silent - has made me a tad cynical....
    sorry mate I'll take them in my language means i will take them …
    I totally understand, personally I give them 24hrs, however….in my language, until MONEY is paid, word is worthless. 

If you are online and posted a message to take it then you have time to Paypal it over, it takes the length to put in their email address really.  If you are too busy then at least tell them you can't do it for the next X hours.  Going totally silent after making the offer gives the impression that you are having 2nd thoughts.
  • mark123 said:
    I think unless you arrange to make payment - and do so quickly - ‘I’ll take it’ is little more than an expression of interest.

The number of times I’ve e-mailed pictures and answered potential buyers’ questions - only to have them go silent - has made me a tad cynical....
    sorry mate I'll take them in my language means i will take them …
    I totally understand, personally I give them 24hrs, however….in my language, until MONEY is paid, word is worthless. 

If you are online and posted a message to take it then you have time to Paypal it over, it takes the length to put in their email address really.  
    @RaymondLin , wouldn't that mean that sellers would have to list their email address in the listing to ensure that they received the payment? Also, what happens if the seller steps away from the computer for five minutes and comes back to have received PMs from any number of buyers who've paid up and expect their goods.

I'm not sure that is a wise way of doing stuff.  As a buyer I've found it easy enough to wait for an email confirming that the item is available and mine, pending payment. YMMV
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited June 2018
    Good communication is key for both parties tbh. Good clear communication there'll be no misunderstandings. It's a skill we don't all have unfortunately :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Good communication is key for both parties tbh. Good clear communication there'll be no misunderstandings. It's a skill we don't all have unfortunately :(
    This. If you were buying something for sale from a newspaper by Telephone. You would not ring the seller and say I will have it and then put the phone down. 
    You would communicate a bit more and the sale would have a better chance of being completed. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    JAYJO said:
    This. If you were buying something for sale from a newspaper by Telephone. You would not ring the seller and say I will have it and then put the phone down. 
    You would communicate a bit more and the sale would have a better chance of being completed. 

1. i said i would have it 

2.he had sent me his paypal address 3 hrs later but i had just finished nightshift so i had gone to bed

3.woke up 4hrs later sold to someone else

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    I think it might be good for your health at this point to let it go.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    prlgmnr said:
    I think it might be good for your health at this point to let it go.
    agreed !
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    I disagree. Take it to the grave.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    I disagree 

Let it eat you up, let the rage and anger fill you until you crack and go mental 

Feel the Seethe 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom