Gig ticket prices

What's Hot
rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
Saw a Joe Bonnamaasa gig advertised relatively locally ie. In Plymouth which is not too far from the depths of Cornwall where I live.
However when trying to book tickets I couldn't book through the venue but through a company called Ticketmaster.
Tickets prices I thought were a bit gob smacking between £85 and £165.
Now are these prices highly inflated or am I completely out of touch?
Thoughts......
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378

All those guitars don't restring themselves...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Recent prices paid for me have been Stones £85, Nick Mason £50, Kate Bush tribute £15

I saw Bonamassa in Shepards Bush once for £60, it was so packed I just about got in the door and could only see the bass players arm occasionally and the brass players head

I could certainly hear Joe's guitar though ..it was stupidly louder than everything else
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Most big acts are too cheap, which allows touts to get in and make money.

Joe Bonamassa is the other way round and in no way justifies the ticket price, as far as I can tell. 165 is a hell of a lot of money to see some bloke play some blues. I only paid 90 to see Clapton a few years ago 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    I've seen Clapton twice, and a while back Gary Moore.
    Tickets were a fair bit less.
    JB not worth £165 to me
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    When you say...

However when trying to book tickets I couldn't book through the venue but through a company called Ticketmaster.

...it suggests that you have never heard of them, in which case yes, you are a 'bit' out of touch :)

That does seem hella expensive though; is that before or after booking fees etc?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Nikko said:
    When you say...

...it suggests that you have never heard of them, in which case yes, you are a 'bit' out of touch :)

That does seem hella expensive though; is that before or after booking fees etc?
    That' inclusive of booking fees
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Even a lot of tribute acts appear to be £25-£30 now which seems steep.  I paid similar for australian pink floyd and the eagles but its a lot.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Ticketbastard is pretty much why I’ve stopped going to big arena gigs. They ramp their already inflated prices up so much with stealth add-on charges. I’d rather go to a small pub gig and put some money in the jug or fork out £12-15 at our local football club to see some decent bands. We’ve seen Wishbone Ash, Skinny Molly, Eric Gales and Focus there in the last year or so. JoBo and Ticketmaster can stick their £165 tickets where the sun don’t shine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    boogieman said:
    Ticketbastard is pretty much why I’ve stopped going to big arena gigs. They ramp their already inflated prices up so much with stealth add-on charges. I’d rather go to a small pub gig and put some money in the jug or fork out £12-15 at our local football club to see some decent bands. We’ve seen Wishbone Ash, Skinny Molly, Eric Gales and Focus there in the last year or so. JoBo and Ticketmaster can stick their £165 tickets where the sun don’t shine. 

I saw John Illsley on Sunday night for £22 a ticket including fees.  Small venue, and superb musicians.  Much rather do that than pay the kind of money you pay for Bonamassa.

Discovered this place in West London, only 15 minutes on the Tube:

http://nellsjazzandblues.uk/

Got some quite good acts coming up. 

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I reckon my upper limit price is around £30. Thankfully most of the bands I want to see cost a lot less than that, however the days of going to see the likes of Nick Cave are long gone.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Be glad you're not going to see Taylor Swift - you don't even get the seat you paid for!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44396713

They seem to be a law unto themselves.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Nitefly said:
    Be glad you're not going to see Taylor Swift - you don't even get the seat you paid for!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44396713

They seem to be a law unto themselves.

I'd have though being further from the stage is a good thing in her case. France maybe?

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Yup , the other half likes a wee bit of Snow Patrol, seen they were playing Leeds, thought aye i will treat her FUCKING £83 a ticket FOR SNOW PATROL !!! nope 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    This summer's Jeff Beck tickets are at least half to a third of what Joe Bonamassa is charging.

Whilst I would like to see Bonamassa, I'm not paying his ridiculously high prices. Beck on the other hand is several levels up the guitar god scale, yet more far affordable.

As they say, go figure.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited June 2018
    One of guitar learners is a massive BTS fan, some K-pop nonsense garbage boyband. They're coming to the UK and tickets went on sale at 9am a few days back, sold out in 5 minutes. So they looked elsewhere and some are selling on the black market for £10,000!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    fandango said:
    This summer's Jeff Beck tickets are at least half to a third of what Joe Bonamassa is charging.

Whilst I would like to see Bonamassa, I'm not paying his ridiculously high prices. Beck on the other hand is several levels up the guitar god scale, yet more far affordable.

As they say, go figure.
    Who is the more popular?  Who sells most records?  Answer. Not Jeff Beck.  Supply and demand.

I've seen Bonamassa a few times in the past two years and his shows have been exceptional, both in terms of sound quality and the show itself.  All that kit doesn't get there by magic.

In contrast, Jeff Beck's shows are very low key, low budget affairs and won't appeal to that many people either. 

I paid over £100 to see King Crimson later this year, about the same for Robert Plant and Sheryl Crow.  All big budget shows at good venues.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    It has been remarked on in the past, and the general consensus is that Joe Bonnamassa is taking the piss on a massive scale with his ticket prices.
  • richcolrichcol Frets: 12
    These days I'd much rather go to a gig in a small club up to the £30 mark and some of my favourite gigs have been well under that price. Can do a few of those gigs for the price of an arena one.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Danny1969 said:
    Recent prices paid for me have been Stones £85, Nick Mason £50, Kate Bush tribute £15

I saw Bonamassa in Shepards Bush once for £60, it was so packed I just about got in the door and could only see the bass players arm occasionally and the brass players head

I could certainly hear Joe's guitar though ..it was stupidly louder than everything else

Paid £50 for Gregory Porter at the Royal Albert Hall, which I didn't think was too bad...bearing in mind the artist and the brilliant venue.

RE: Joe's loud guitars, a mate went to see Nile Rodgers a couple years ago & said the same thing.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    No one makes any money selling records anymore.

£32 to go see Camel - well worth it.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'