Will this be rubbish?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    barryd said:
    Thanks.  Im really excited about learning the Bass.  Some say I should have learned the guitar properly first an all but bollocks to them. I can lose myself for 3-4 hours playing and recording stuff and it passes in what seems like minutes.  
    Honestly, that’s how I feel. I bass in an originals band, so rehearsing, gigging, recording etc. But at home sometimes I just enjoy mucking about with a range of instruments and stuff. 

Do what makes you happy mate - fuck anyone who thinks they know what you should and shouldn’t do if you’re happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    barryd said:
    I used a pick and just generally followed root notes. Is that punishable by death or just disownment?   
    Judging by the career of Adam Clayton, it is punishable by having to become a multi-millionaire. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    Thanks guys.  I Cant believe I posted that on here last night.  Thats drink for ya!  :o  These smilies are weird by the way. I can see why people dont use their thumbs though this morning playing bass.  I did for about ten minutes yesterday and its killing me this morning.  Ill just have to do some experimenting but I quite like the idea of using the pick.  Thanks once again for all the help. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    barryd said:
    I can see why people don't use their thumbs
    I use both of mine though not necessarily simultaneously.

LH thumb for occasional fretting of the lowest string. RH thumb for making a percussive transient sound of which Bridgehouse disapproves. 
    Be seeing you.
    barryd said:
    I can see why people don't use their thumbs
    I use both of mine though not necessarily simultaneously.

LH thumb for occasional fretting of the lowest string. RH thumb for making a percussive transient sound of which Bridgehouse disapproves. 
    I never said I disapproved, just that it sounds shit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bridgehouse said:
     it sounds shit
    Only on a Gibson bass. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    I spent a good two to three hours trying to get to grips with this Alien object yesterday and I love it.  Just put down a few easy chords and a couple of solos on the guitar and then started farting about with the bass over them and experimenting with different playing methods and effects.  I can get away using the thumb without destroying it if I dont bash it so hard and I had a go at Fingering (oh FFS  :# ) but I think I like the pick (For now),   

As for sound I tried it just plugged straight through the M Audio interface and it sounded shit so at the moment its through my Guitar Zoom G3 pedal with a Marshall amp effect with a bit of reverb and a bit of chorus and it sounds a bit 80s new wave.  I might have to experiment with a few effects, see what does what but of course these effects are all designed for lead guitar not a Bass. 

Im going to have a go at an old Tubeway Army number tonight (one of my favourite bands from when I was a kid) which features a lot of Bass so that should be my first real challenge.

Sounds like you need a cheapo bass multi FX!
    Maybe I do. However, had a right old long Jam tonight and its sounding ok so far through the Zoom pedal but Ive not scratched the surface.  I did a Tubeway army cover and the bass sounds great but feck me i made an arse of the vocals and for the first time ever I incorporated an ancient Casio Keyboard i inherited about 15 years ago.  Oh fecking dear.  I cant play the piano of course, at all but it was just bashing a few notes and a pitch change synth bit.

Great fun though.  I dont know if I am pissed enough to share.