How many of your pedals do you actually use?

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

My current pedal chain has 30 pedals in it and they all get used at some point - it's been a while since I switched them all on at once though ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    viz said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    I used to use all of my pedals. Tuner, Wah, Compressor, OD/boost, Chorus, Phaser and delay.
    That’s exactly what I’ve got (Plus a whammy). It’s all I need. 
    I have added a Flanger in, to try and understand them basically. I have thought about a whammy, but I stick to a certain size board. I may change in a few months time as the Rivera has a huge ass footswitch with boosts on etc.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    DesVegas said:
    The last practice i had with my new band i used all 12 of my pedals, sounds like you need a wah, use your delays for intros and it also sounds like you're missing a phaser 
    Defo think I'd get more use out of a wah than I ever will out of the tremelo - just about every modulation effect brings me out in a rash. A phaser is maybe the second least offensive, I'll give you that.

Part of the issue is that playing instrumental music, it is too easy to end up sounding like mogwai wannabes as soon as the delay is on and the tremelo picking starts...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Terrible hoarder of pedals in the past.  Almost cured now.
    Downsized to a PT Metro 24  -- that was the trick:  physically limit space
    Everything gets used every gig:

Compressor
    Chorus
    OD
    Distortion verging on Fuzz (Wampler Velvet)
    Echo #1
    Echo #2  <-- this is the only pedal that only gets brief use but you know it when it's on cos it's a special effect echo
    Reverb

All into front of amp. 
    (There's also a tuner on the board and a wah off it.)
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I have a Metro 16. I can squeeze 9 pedals on it. 

I probably have another 9 or 10 not on it. Most I made myself (from pcbs or kits). I occasionally switch them in and out for different flavours. But, to be honest, they are just sitting in a cupboard unused most of the time.

If I'm absolutely honest, I could strip it down from those 9 to 5 without massive loss. 2 x drives, one delay, one tremolo, one reverb.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    All of them to varying degrees 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    I made a point on making my board a essentials board to concentrate on playing instead of pedal shopping.
    On it I have 
    Polytune.
    ThorpyFX Gunshot
    ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud
    EqD humnigbird them
    Walrus ARP delay.

Even down to those all I really use is a bit of slapback, Reverb from the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Nice set Alex
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I only have 4, one of which is a tuner, so they all get used to some degree. The fuzz least so but it's there just in case I want it. I could go without the delay tbh. For a long time my board was just tuner and a wah. Contemplating the switch to a Helix soon but can't see me going crazy with the FX still. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

4 on a pedal train nano plus.

Tuner, P45, dual drive and Keeley Caverns.
    I need more though, I have a Helix but tend to favour pedals, so may go back to a PT junior at some point.

Would like a Chorus, flint, tap delay, mini wah, auto filter, deco.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    Tuner, compressor, envelope, fuzz, cruiser, phase. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Used to have massive boards. But the more gig the smaller it gets. 
    Like @digitalscream I've got a really basic setup in helix, but also have a small valve amp and board set up. 

Tuner - something wobbly (phase/flange/wah depending on mood) > eqd palisades > 2 delays (shortlist clean repeats & longer mushy ones) by way of dd20 (el cap in the post though!!) 

I had a mobius and timeline for quite a while, with delays and mods bespoke for each song on our set. But the nuances between them were so small, and in a loud live mix it all just sounded like "some delay" and "some wobble".

Less is more. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I have a lot of pedals. Mostly, it's because I really enjoy building them, but I've also bought a lot of broken stuff and fixed them. Being the inquisitive sort, I'll often buy several examples of the same effect out of curiosity if I can find them cheap. I think I have seventeen phasers, for instance. I like phasers!

I also like using a lot of effects at once, as I tend to go for atmospheric tones rather than conventional sounds.

My current pedalboard goes:
    Korg Pitchblack tuner
    DIY Janglebox clone
    DIY Monolith Oracle fuzz clone (modified)
    DIY Clay Jones Overdrive clone
    DIY Klone
    Ibanez PT-9
    Boss CE-3 (and stereo from this point)
    Line 6 Echo Park
    Digitech Hardwire DL-8
    Digitech Hardwire RV-7
    Zoom MS70CDR

This is the board that I use for jamming with a friend. When I was playing in a previous band, I also used an Ernie Ball volume pedal, subbed the PT-9 for a Boss BF-2 and used DIY clones of a Liquid Sunhine Mk II, a Catalinbread DLS Mk II and a Big Muff instead of the dirt currently used.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Using the following

FULLTONE Octafuzz, polytune, xotic sp, MXR phase 90, OCD, TS mini, crybaby mini, moog clusterflux, ehx deluxe memory man TT.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    I had lots of pedals, didn't realise quite how many til I finally found somewhere to live and all my stuff came out of storage, but recently I've sold many of them and there's more to go. Currently very happy with Keeley Comp Pro, Boss Hi Band Flanger, Boss Vibrato and Boss RE-20 Space Echo plus a looper. In fact I've never been as happy with my sound as I am at present. Less is more but then I only play my own stuff so no need to try and cop a sound.

It's kind of ironic as I started out with Boss pedals, went all round the houses playing lots of different stuff and have finally ended up back with Boss. At least now I don't have the feeling there's something out there better (more suitable).
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited June 2018
    Some do get more use than others but then some benefit from spending a lot of time with

https://i.imgur.com/AsS4NVB.jpg

• valevale Frets: 1052
    I have a lot of pedals. Mostly, it's because I really enjoy building them, but I've also bought a lot of broken stuff and fixed them. Being the inquisitive sort, I'll often buy several examples of the same effect out of curiosity if I can find them cheap. I think I have seventeen phasers, for instance. I like phasers!

I also like using a lot of effects at once, as I tend to go for atmospheric tones rather than conventional sounds.
    am exactly the same.

i use them all & even have doubles of things i really like & can pick up cheaply (behringers & joyos on ebay for £15 etc) so i can use the same effect twice in a chain. early & late or split.

my guitar is my interface & my pedal board is a my synth. more oscillators, more filters, more modulation always!
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I'm tempted to add my list of pedals because it amuses me, and because I crave validation from fellow pedal owners ;)

So the current set up is, in order:

Vox - Tonelab ST
    Boss - Loop Station
    EQD - Data Corrupter
    Parasit Studios (kit, built by me) - Into The Unknown
    Line 6 - Liqua Flange
    Recovery Pedals - Cutting Room Floor
    Korg - Miku (connected to a feedback looper)
    Subdecay - Vitruvian Mod
    EHX - Pitch Fork
    Digitech - Obscura
    Line 6 - DM4
    EQD - Spatial Delivery
    EQD - Arpanoid
    smallsound/bigsound - Team Awesome Fuzz Machine
    Parasit Studios (kit, built by Juansolo) - Arcadiator
    Dwarfcraft - Grazer
    Montreal Assembly - Count To 5 (#1)
    Dr Scientist - BitQuest (#1)
    EQD - Afterneath
    Montreal Assembly - Count To 5 (#2)
    Dr Scientist - BitQuest (#2)
    Alexander Pedals - Syntax Error
    EQD - Rainbow Machine
    Red Panda - Particle
    Mr Black - Gilamondo
    Catalinbread - CSIDMAN
    Digitech - The Weapon
    drolo - Stamme[n]
    Old Blood Noise Endeavours - Procession
    Line 6 - Otto Filter

The only other pedals I have are a Fuzzdog Ampeg Scrambler kit in a Klon-style box, an EHX Pocket Metal Muff, a Boss Vol pedal, a modded Behringer FX600 and a Boss RC-50 (that I've lent to a mate). I also have an Electro Faustus Drone Machine which is currently plugged into a separate input on my mixer.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Paul_C said:

I'm tempted to add my list of pedals because it amuses me, and because I crave validation from fellow pedal owners ;)

So the current set up is, in order:

Vox - Tonelab ST
    Boss - Loop Station
    EQD - Data Corrupter
    Parasit Studios (kit, built by me) - Into The Unknown
    Line 6 - Liqua Flange
    Recovery Pedals - Cutting Room Floor
    Korg - Miku (connected to a feedback looper)
    Subdecay - Vitruvian Mod
    EHX - Pitch Fork
    Digitech - Obscura
    Line 6 - DM4
    EQD - Spatial Delivery
    EQD - Arpanoid
    smallsound/bigsound - Team Awesome Fuzz Machine
    Parasit Studios (kit, built by Juansolo) - Arcadiator
    Dwarfcraft - Grazer
    Montreal Assembly - Count To 5 (#1)
    Dr Scientist - BitQuest (#1)
    EQD - Afterneath
    Montreal Assembly - Count To 5 (#2)
    Dr Scientist - BitQuest (#2)
    Alexander Pedals - Syntax Error
    EQD - Rainbow Machine
    Red Panda - Particle
    Mr Black - Gilamondo
    Catalinbread - CSIDMAN
    Digitech - The Weapon
    drolo - Stamme[n]
    Old Blood Noise Endeavours - Procession
    Line 6 - Otto Filter

The only other pedals I have are a Fuzzdog Ampeg Scrambler kit in a Klon-style box, an EHX Pocket Metal Muff, a Boss Vol pedal, a modded Behringer FX600 and a Boss RC-50 (that I've lent to a mate). I also have an Electro Faustus Drone Machine which is currently plugged into a separate input on my mixer.
    Paul, that's a stunning selection of pedals, most of which are on my shopping list...

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Snags said:i
    I have a "do everything" board at the moment (tuner, volume, wah, overdrive, distortion, chorus, phaser, flanger, compressor, two delays - not in that order!).  I probably use most pedals most times I play in public (in a church setting) - the wah and the phaser get the least airtime.

If I played in an originals band, or even in a covers band of the type I'd likely end up in, I reckon I'd just need drive, compression, delay and maybe a flanger.
    Are there many church songs which require the wah and/or flanger? Scratching my head to think of them...

A-wah in a Manger maybe. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom