Flying to the USA to pick up a guitar

What's Hot
skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
Am I just bat shit crazy for considering this, but I am comtemplating flying to the USA to pick up a guitar. Two reasons:
1. set neck and the shipping have me worried.
2. Terrible import duty - I know i am iffy ground with this.

My wife thinks I'm nuts and I should pay the duty. I dunno. There's still issue 1 to consider...plus I may have to pay the duty regardless. Dunno.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited June 2018
    Yup, you’re technically not off the hook for the duty when you arrive back with it. If Customs decided they wanted to inspect it they could ask you to prove it’s already been landed in the UK and otherwise levy duty + VAT + fines (or worse...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    Whitecat said:
    You’re technically not off the hook for the duty when you arrive back with it. If Customs decided they wanted to inspect it they could ask you to prove it’s already been landed in the UK and otherwise levy duty + VAT + fines (or worse...)
    I realise that... Plus what's 48 of my time worth even if it is asleep crossing the Atlantic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Great idea. Make an adventure of it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Legally there’s almost no way you’ll save money, unless you can get return flights cheaper than properly insured shipping.

Pragmatically you’re almost definitely not going to be saving time or potential hassle.

Even if the neck breaks, which it shouldn’t, insurance should cover it and it’s usually fixable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Does the guitar contain rosewood? If so then you need to read the CITES threads
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    Is the guitar somewhere interesting and therefore worth a short trip? if so, then go for it.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Am I being stupid, but you being on the same plane as the guitar isn't going to save damage to the set neck, is it?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Am I being stupid, but you being on the same plane as the guitar isn't going to save damage to the set neck, is it?
    I'd try to get it as carry on - if that's even possible. A £350 return ticket may be worth it - I don't know. Then again if one of the legs needs a connecting flight then it's more risky.

You're not being stupid...I clearly am ;-)!!!
    Roland said:
    Yes it does. But that should not be a problem, although would hold stuff upon import.
  • skinfreak said:
    Am I being stupid, but you being on the same plane as the guitar isn't going to save damage to the set neck, is it?
    I'd try to get it as carry on - if that's even possible. A £350 return ticket may be worth it - I don't know. Then again if one of the legs needs a connecting flight then it's more risky.

You're not being stupid...I clearly am ;-)!!!
    Ah, fair one, mate. Be interested to see if you manage that. Good luck with it fella, I know what it's like when you want something that badly a d will do anything to get it! Hope you do!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Roland said:
    If he did fly over and bring it back that would actually be one problem averted. No papers needed when the instrument is with you. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Are they out of stock in Guitar Guitar?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I aint telling anyone what I am after until I sort my head out about it. Or where it is coming from. Or what colour it is. Or anything... :#
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    If something old and genuine rare and containing rosewood then I'd certainly consider it, especially if it's located somewhere I'd like to visit. 

But it would need to tick all of those boxes, and I would still expect to pay the taxes on the way home.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Roland said:
    Yes. I started this one earlier.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Roland said:
    If he did fly over and bring it back that would actually be one problem averted. No papers needed when the instrument is with you. 
    correct - no CITES paperwork required for a guitar containing Indian Rosewood if you bring it back with you as your possession
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    skinfreak said:

Am I just bat shit crazy for considering this, but I am comtemplating flying to the USA to pick up a guitar.

My wife thinks I'm nuts...
    yes & trust your wife's judgement.

if you want to go because you just want to go, that's a different thing. but using the guitar pickup as a hook to hang that want on doesn't add up.

that makes me sound harsh & that's not how i mean it. i mean 'go if you want to go but the maths is bad'.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    Thing is if it isn’t the absolute dogs dangly bits when you get it your always gonna regret being so stupid, and your not going to know how good or bad it is and it was worth the hassle the until you get it in your hands, unless of course you’ve already played it. 

Its about like like looking at Bo Derek in Playboy!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    Before doing it be aware that most airlines now require your to hold check guitars, unless you book a seat for them, so you will need an ATA approved case as well :)
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    A couple key points to remember when trying such things.
    1) If you have to book the guitar on with you, makes sure you take one with you. Customs aren't stupid, so if you left the country without one, and return with one, it'll raise suspicions, and the onus is then on you to prove you bought the guitar within the EU.
    2) Don't bring any receipts/paperwork back on your person. If they do search you, and you have the receipt, you can hardly deny buying it abroad.