Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Dominic said:
    I think the Reverbs in all Line 6 are the weakest link ......but I like the Trem especially the Harmonic Trem
    I agreed with this for so long; the FX8 verbs were much better than the Helix, and none came close to the Big Sky....

But the new updated verbs on the Helix really are much much better. Indeed, Ive just sold my beloved Big Sky and Talisman, as a result of the HX purchase.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347

Nice. Those plastic strips are removable ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    A nice vid from what I presume to be 'our own' @rossyamaha showing him matching someone's £2K pedalboard with the HX.

Nice one Ross (and Jack at Peach - I'm sure he used to work at Guitar Guitar, Epsom)

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    @Kebabkid yep thats me. I was doing some training with the guys and John came and said can I do a quick video. Very off the cuff and felt the pressure for sure. Not sure how it's come out (not watched it) but it was fun. I'm also impressed with how well it looks like they "de-shined" me. It was really hot in the room and I didn't have my makeup with me. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Kebabkid yep thats me. I was doing some training with the guys and John came and said can I do a quick video. Very off the cuff and felt the pressure for sure. Not sure how it's come out (not watched it) but it was fun. I'm also impressed with how well it looks like they "de-shined" me. It was really hot in the room and I didn't have my makeup with me. ;-)
    Thanks Ross and it came out very well, for you and the HX!!! :) I believe you're a Helix user but are you using the HX at all?
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks Ross and it came out very well, for you and the HX!!! :) I believe you're a Helix user but are you using the HX at all?
    Thanks mate. Very kind of you. Yeah used Helix for a couple of years now and love it. Haven't got an HX yet but have one coming. I'll be using it a little different. More on that when it arrives and my new board is wired up! Long story short, it's going to be the ultimate utility pedal. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Tried one today and did the same sort of thing as Ross did in the vid, but from memory and used my ears as my own board wasn't there, but quite a few of my pedals and variants are modelled in the HX. It was simple, intuitive and sounded good and I got in the same ball park as my board - 
    Keeley Comp/Keeley TS808/WY Pork Loin/Xotic EP Boost/OCD/Catalinbread Boost/Zoom MS-70CDR/TC Flashback

What was fun were the routing and set-up options. Whilst I kept to the above pedal order, I do keep my compressor on all the time but with this, there isn't a need to assign it to a pedal (you can do this with anything like a noise gate, generic reverb etc) and so that's on in the background. That was handy but then I was also able to assign my most used on/off fx/pedals to other, more convenient switches nearer my feet.

The Snapshots were also great where you can set-up different settings for the same pedal or possibly choose something like a different wah or Q for rhythm and lead or assign a boost, lead and delay to one switch for your lead sound and maybe a crunch and reverb for your rhythm sound. As I said, it's very intuitive.

My only slight grumble was I noticed some noise from the unit, even with pedals off and so I'm not sure if this was one of the earlier batch where this was a recognised issue but bottom-line, I'll probably be getting one in the future, but still keeping my board. Oh, and there's bass effects, too, which is handy as I have that to deal with as well.

Recommended
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I thought the Peach video was excellent and a refreshing change to the standard reviews. Really well handled under the pressure @rossyamaha and some of those sounds will be making their way to my Helix as starting points. Thanks for doing it
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

I loved Jack's "Don't touch me..." comment when you touched his knee...very funny

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451

I loved Jack's "Don't touch me..." comment when you touched his knee...very funny
    Heh...by the sounds of it, the other guys at Peach thought that was hilarious :D
    <space for hire>
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Good video! I want a HX effects but I’m worried about getting a noisy unit!
    Good video! I want a HX effects but I’m worried about getting a noisy unit!
    Pretty sure that’s sorted now. 

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Caved in and bought one :)
    John_A  let us know how you get on

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Kebabkid said:
    John_A  let us know how you get on

Pretty much know how I'll get on as already have a Helix, mainly use the Helix live, but when/if I do take an amp out it'll be a nice compact alternative.  Really didn't need it, but thought I might as well ;). The difference between the Helix and my analogue board (what's left of it) is negligible to nothing in terms of quality, but it's light years ahead in flexibility and getting rid of Velcro and patch leads is heaven!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
     Even though I have an FX8 I’ll probably still buy one ! It’s a disease I tell ya ;)
    Does anyone know if the HX can drop the tuning e.g. to Eb? I believe the Helix can via its pitchshifters/pitch wham (that's in the HX), but wondered if it can do it on this?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Kebabkid said:
    Does anyone know if the HX can drop the tuning e.g. to Eb? I believe the Helix can via its pitchshifters/pitch wham (that's in the HX), but wondered if it can do it on this?
    It could, but you wouldn't want to use it that way - the tracking isn't very good. I was hoping they'd address that in 2.6, but apparently not...it will definitely be coming in a later update though.
    <space for hire>
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Lee @digitalscream - it will be a handy one if it can do it as well as some of the other brand Drop Tune products out there but promising if it is on the horizon
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Variable can help too though I realise that’s an extreme solution!!