Flying to the USA to pick up a guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Better yet, how about don’t try to cheat the system?
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Sounds a ridiculous idea to me. 

By the time you add on the flight cost, time, effort and possible heartache when your new guitar gets chucked in the hold.... :s

Have it couriered and pony up the VAT etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Unless it’s something spectacular, impossible to find, and the guy will only allow collection  I’d just a) pony up the dough, or b) wait until one comes up in the eu 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Sounds like a very special guitar. One you'd need to see and play before buying? That is a sound reason alone. 

Very very rare for Customs to randomly ask questions about guitars. Chances are you will avoid the VAT and duty.

Sure it's 48 hours of your time but if someone on here can suggest a better and more exciting way of spending time than flying to get a dream guitar, I'd sure as hell like to hear it.

Go for it!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Suppose you took out an empty case, or maybe one containing a cheapie, and then brought "it" back - would there be any duties...
    prowla said:
    Suppose you took out an empty case, or maybe one containing a cheapie, and then brought "it" back - would there be any duties...
    Oh no, not that old chestnut!  ;)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    prowla said:
    In practice, how would the customs people checking the guitar you’re bringing (back) into the country know what, if anything, you took out of the country? Do they keep records of all the contents of all baggage going out the country? 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited June 2018
    So am I understanding this correctly. You don't value yourself at all, you place no value on that 48 hours you're missing out on, and prefer the idea of spending the money you hope you'll save on Tax and Duty avoidance on a trip to the States to give yourself something to do?.

Just pay the courier and T&D, but if you do go through with this, I hope you get caught.

1reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    MikeS said:
    So am I understanding this correctly. You don't value yourself at all, you place no value on that 48 hours you're missing out on, and prefer the idea of spending the money you hope you'll save on Tax and Duty avoidance on a trip to the States to give yourself something to do?.

Back to reality please, and with the greatest of respect, get a life.
    No, you're not understanding it correctly.
    We live in the UK, not North Korea. If he wants to do this, that's his right.

It's a goddamn guitar forum - can't believe anyone is thinking this is anything but brilliant. 

Went to Chicago for a guitar once. Absolutely brilliant trip. Apologies to anyone who thinks I 'wasted' those few days...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited June 2018
    Do it man, I wouldn't unless it were something impossible to get over here, but everyones different I guess - go for it. In the extremely unlikely scenario of getting caught it wouldnt be the end of the world, and would probably be pretty funny tbh. It would probably be worth it just for the adventure alone - life is short you're a long time dead, as someone once correctly asserted
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    MikeS said:
    if you do go through with this, I hope you get caught.
    Does the S stand for 'snitch'? You must be a riot at parties
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martin8708martin8708 Frets: 81
    MikeS said:

Just pay the courier and T&D, but if you do go through with this, I hope you get caught.
    Wow , that's a bit harsh .
    So all those people who drive for hours to meet up in service stations / train stations to buy / sell their guitars are wasting their life ? 
    Avoiding tax and duty is not right , but who here on the forum is whiter than white ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited June 2018
    Hehe, I'm a snitch and shit at parties because I pay my T&D, and think it's stupid to think up scams to bypass it on an open forum?. Turn that music down children, I'm trying to sleep!. By the way I am shit at party's. I think it's an age thing.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    The USA is a pretty big place so depends where about's I guess. 

We've travelled quite a bit round the USA and I would use any excuse to get back. But it's a exhausting trip even for a week never mind 48 hours.

Are you planning on meeting the seller at the airport because once you factor, getting to and from the airport, money on food and drink it all adds up. Surely that can't work out cheaper than having it shipped even with customs.

If you can make a trip of it, go for it. If not and you are just hanging round airports you're mad!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    mart said:
    prowla said:
    In practice, how would the customs people checking the guitar you’re bringing (back) into the country know what, if anything, you took out of the country? Do they keep records of all the contents of all baggage going out the country? 
    They are not silly, do you think that nobody has tried this tax avoidance scam before?

Being kept in a secure office for hours after a gruelling transatlantic flight while you try to prove that you took the guitar out with you would tarnish the whole jaunt and is not worth attempting in my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Neil said:
    mart said:
    prowla said:
    They are not silly, do you think that nobody has tried this tax avoidance scam before?

Being kept in a secure office for hours after a gruelling transatlantic flight while you try to prove that you took the guitar out with you would tarnish the whole jaunt and is not worth attempting in my opinion.
    I’m not suggesting doing it, I was literally just asking the question of how they would know - what is the mechanism by which they would establish what you did or did not take with you. Are you suggesting they would simply interrogate incomers, and that the onus would be on the traveller to demonstrate that they took the guitar out? That certainly seems plausible, but it suggests this is a situation where you are guilty until you can prove innocence. Is that right?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    skinfreak said:
    Am I just bat shit crazy for considering this, but I am comtemplating flying to the USA to pick up a guitar. Two reasons:
    1. set neck and the shipping have me worried.
    2. Terrible import duty - I know i am iffy ground with this.

My wife thinks I'm nuts and I should pay the duty. I dunno. There's still issue 1 to consider...plus I may have to pay the duty regardless. Dunno.
    Yes. You're batshit crazy. If nothing else, for starting this thread...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    If you're gonna be going out your way yo avoid customs, wanna bring us back some druuuugs too? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Can you get a direct flight to the city/area where the guitar is?  I ask because the US has a "hub system", where direct flights within USA are non existent for distances over 1,000 miles or so.  If your flight lands first in NY city and say the guitar is in Atlanta, you will likely be flying from NY to Columbus Ohio, then to Nashville Tennessee, then to Atlanta Georgia, and probably not all on the same plane.   Throwing gas on fires is my specialty.......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    prowla said:
    How would you prove you took it out? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom