How many of your pedals do you actually use?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    I haven’t played my pedals in over 2 years , my board has 2 ‘Thorpy clones’ a Strymon Flint and a 4114 flux Delay...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited June 2018
    I only have 2 H9s, a drive pedal, an Auto wah and a comp on my board. That's it and I use them all.  If I don't use them I'll sell'ed simples as that

Oh yeah a tuner also
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5113
    My Current board has Tuner, Palmer Distortion, Strymon Flint, Boss DD-2... :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Did you guys ever work out the number of connections your guitar signal passes through on its way to the amp? Even with true bypass, a small number of pedals means a lot plus the little interconnecting cables, jacks etc.

No wonder that a lot of guitars in bands sound sterile, processed and the same as every other guitar on the market. Why consider tonal issues when buying a guitar if you are going to put the signal through a number of pedals?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I treat my pedals like a Lego set. If I want to build a particular sound, I get out a suitable selection of pedals. If I want to build something else, I swap for different ones.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Gadget said:
    I treat my pedals like a Lego set. If I want to build a particular sound, I get out a suitable selection of pedals. If I want to build something else, I swap for different ones.

lego hurts when you step on it though
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    Rocker said:
    Did you guys ever work out the number of connections your guitar signal passes through on its way to the amp? Even with true bypass, a small number of pedals means a lot plus the little interconnecting cables, jacks etc.

No wonder that a lot of guitars in bands sound sterile, processed and the same as every other guitar on the market. Why consider tonal issues when buying a guitar if you are going to put the signal through a number of pedals?

You're an idiot.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited June 2018
    Rocker said:

Never heard of loopers or buffers?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    ewal said:
    So after many years not being in a band when I've built a board with a nice range of pedals including delays, reverb, tremelo and a few different drives - some for stacking purposes, and another post delay and reverb (you've got to have a drive at the end of your chain if your doing anything shoegazy right?), I know find myself in an originals band.

I do most of the writing and started out with plans to use the delays etc creatively, however now that the band is properly taking shape, I find myself using just three pedals - a drive that's always on, another drive I stamp on for loud bits, and the reverb. The rest of the pedals are just taking up space and helping me look the part.... I think it's largely because of the type of music we are playing, loud thrashy Swervedrivery instrumental rock, and the fact that as the main tune writer, I'm mostly playing the core rhythm parts and don't have much opportunity to get overly creative as a guitarist.

Should I be bothered (probably not as long as the tunes sound good)?? Should I consciously try and use the other pedals more (probably yes as long as they compliment the music and sound in keeping with our vibe)?? And anyone else find that in truth a lot of your pedals are just for show? 
    If they're truly just for show then build a minimum-size pedalboard that does what you need and either get rid of the others or keep them in case your music style changes again. The guitarist with a huge pedalboard is now as much of an irritating cliché as one with too many guitars (more than two, usually) at a gig - it doesn't make you look the part, it makes you look a prat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    edited June 2018
    ICBM said:
    ewal said:
    So after many years not being in a band when I've built a board with a nice range of pedals including delays, reverb, tremelo and a few different drives - some for stacking purposes, and another post delay and reverb (you've got to have a drive at the end of your chain if your doing anything shoegazy right?), I know find myself in an originals band.

I do most of the writing and started out with plans to use the delays etc creatively, however now that the band is properly taking shape, I find myself using just three pedals - a drive that's always on, another drive I stamp on for loud bits, and the reverb. The rest of the pedals are just taking up space and helping me look the part.... I think it's largely because of the type of music we are playing, loud thrashy Swervedrivery instrumental rock, and the fact that as the main tune writer, I'm mostly playing the core rhythm parts and don't have much opportunity to get overly creative as a guitarist.

Should I be bothered (probably not as long as the tunes sound good)?? Should I consciously try and use the other pedals more (probably yes as long as they compliment the music and sound in keeping with our vibe)?? And anyone else find that in truth a lot of your pedals are just for show? 
    If they're truly just for show then build a minimum-size pedalboard that does what you need and either get rid of the others or keep them in case your music style changes again. The guitarist with a huge pedalboard is now as much of an irritating cliché as one with too many guitars (more than two, usually) at a gig - it doesn't make you look the part, it makes you look a prat.
    For someone who always seems very knowledgeable on the boards with advice etc, I'm surprised at the last line here. What if someone's genuine interest is in different pedals, being creative with them, and experimentation? It's their choice, and it's not the wrong choice. If someone buys stuff purely for show then that's different, but it seems a bit of a snobbish attitude, or fairly ignorant, to just tar everyone with the same brush, purely because you favour simplicity of pedal use over numerous pedals on a board. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    Paul_C said:
    Rocker said:

You're an idiot.
    @Paul_c if you don’t think or behave as per the forum police say you do, you are an idiot. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    ewal said:

... anyone else find that in truth a lot of your pedals are just for show? 
    As a multi-FX user I don’t have any pedals on show. Being cynical I’d accept the idea that some people have them for show, and that some people use pedals as a crutch.
    ewal said:

Should I consciously try and use the other pedals more (probably yes as long as they compliment the music and sound in keeping with our vibe)?? 
    I’m also a minimalist, and only use an effect to improve a performance. Nevertheless in an average set I will use tuner, volume, wah, Chorus, Drive, Reverb, Delay; and specific songs will need Flange and/or Tremolo and/or Detune. That’s in addition to switching pickups and adjusting volume and tone.

There’s always a balance between improving the song and getting in the way of your playing. On a bad night I’ll focus on my playing rather than changing FX and settings mid song.

There are some people whose song choice and playing style don’t benefit from FX. It depends on where the balance lies for you. So if I were you I’d experiment so that you can decide whether each pedal does anything for a song. If it does then practice. Practice will shift that balance point between value and distraction. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    @Paul_C  @Rocker  Can we avoid personal attacks please? Moderators get really pissed off when we have to edit it out of threads
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    joetele said:

For someone who always seems very knowledgeable on the boards with advice etc, I'm surprised at the last line here. What if someone's genuine interest is in different pedals, being creative with them, and experimentation? It's their choice, and it's not the wrong choice. If someone buys stuff purely for show then that's different, but it seems a bit of a snobbish attitude, or fairly ignorant, to just tar everyone with the same brush, purely because you favour simplicity of pedal use over numerous pedals on a board. 
    Well, I should say that in my last originals band I had 14 pedals on my board... I used them all, although one or two were only on for one part in one song. So I'm not sure if that makes me ignorant ;), although it may have made me look a bit of a prat :).

I'm not anti-pedal, at all - as far as I remember I don't think I've ever played a gig without at least one effect unit of some sort. I just think the multiple guitars, vast pedalboard, sometimes more than one amp thing has become a cliché that makes guitarists look like wannabe rock stars, wearing shades indoors and other nonsense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2018
    All of them

Keeley Comp (always on)
    Keeley TS808 -  For SRV sounds but I mainly stack it with an OCD and EP for solos
    WY Pork Loin -  for low gain/tweedy rhythm
    Xotic EP Boost - stack with 808 and OCD or leave on all the time when using my Robert Cray Strat (SSS) = fattens it up
    OCD - stack with 808 and EP or on it's own or just with EP
    Catalinbread Boost - pure solo volume boost
    Zoom MS-70CDR - my Tuner, Swiss Army knife for the occasional other effect, like Pitch/harmony but its main function is for modulation (chorus) and as a 2nd, different delay
    TC Flashback Delay - main delay

Boss Wah off the board
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited June 2018
    I think it depends on what sort of band you are. My pedalboard is pretty large but I need them all - it’s a tool for the range of songs we do - everything from Van Halen to Duran Duran. But also a lot of the pedals give good spur-of-the-moment flexibility too - if I’m suddenly a bit loud in the clean chords I can stamp on the compressor. If I’m too quiet I can use the boost or OD. If I just suddenly want some feedback I can toe the wah. If I want to spice up a solo I can use the phaser. The whammy is on detune mode so I can suddenly provide some lovely clean warble when I want it. I find it all very helpful and I don’t think it’s too intrusive. 

My chain is:

Guitar > comp > wah > whammy > OD > phaser > mute > amp input > chorus > delay > boost > amp return. 

Most are true bypass and my cabling is probably 15 metres in all! But the wah is buffered and it sounds really good, to my ear at least.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    edited June 2018
    ICBM said:
    joetele said:

Well, I should say that in my last originals band I had 14 pedals on my board... I used them all, although one or two were only on for one part in one song. So I'm not sure if that makes me ignorant .
    Let's say you're experienced, then
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:

Let's say you're experienced, then
    at looking a prat, yes :).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    ICBM said:
    ewal said:

There's time yet - I'm still writing so some of the others might get used and I definitely will strip down to only the used ones once I know what that is.

I have a dilemma with no of guitars too. I  agree that it looks a bit excessive for most players to have lots of guitars on stage. However I use different tunings, so it's either 4 guitars or everyone has to wait while I retune.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    @Roland, I was not trying to get personal with any forum member rather pointing out the number of additional connections on a largish pedal board. Every junction (connection) has to degrade the weak signal compared to no pedals. Recently I heard a band that used so much distortions and pedals that I could not tell if the player used a Tele, Strat or Les Paul. So why worry about tonal issues if the sound is generic due to the use of so many pedals? I only ask the question as it comes across that the more pedals used the better. Not to start a flame war or to antagonize the moderators either. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom