Drive pedal to compliment and/or stack with Boss Blues Driver

What's Hot

Hi folks, I’ve had a quick search but can’t find what I’m after so thought I’d start a thread.

I have a Boss BD-2 and am after a second drive pedal. It would be nice to have a drive pedal that compliments it by covering different sounds (and ideally one that could stack with it to give even more variety).

Not a huge budget for this (£100ish), and it isn’t going into a loud tube amp as I’m a bedroom only player (I’ve got a Fender Champion 600 and a Roland Cube 40XL). I’m not into metal so don’t need extreme gain but do like to play everything from The Shadows and Dire Straits through to Pink Floyd, RHCP, AC/DC and Guns and Roses.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Boss SD-1.

You could actually get a Waza one for just about your budget, but the plain old standard version is fine. (Unless you have it first in line with no buffered pedal before it, when the bypass bleed can be an issue.)

Or pretty much any other Tube Screamer family pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited June 2018
    You could try a Guvnor II, well priced and the bass Eq is handy for stacking.

Also look at a Timmy or clone. Flexible eq and can do light to medium drive or an eq'd dirty boost. 
  • Thanks for the replies folks, I hadn’t considered the SD-1.

I was toying with the idea of getting a Rat (or the Mooer rat clone), would that work well with the BD2?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956

I was toying with the idea of getting a Rat (or the Mooer rat clone), would that work well with the BD2?
    Probably, although I haven't tried it. It's also a more midrangy sound though, so it should stack well into the BD-2 I think.

The Rat is also very versatile, more than the SD-1/TS types are. It will do a good overdrive (gain low, filter high), a harder distortion (both in the middle) and a nasty fuzz (gain high, filter low) if you want. I haven't heard the Mooer but I don't like mini-pedals, not least because the small controls are fiddly - and you need to be able to adjust all three easily on a Rat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    The Rat goes really well with the BD-2. So good that last time I saw Chuck Prophet it was his choice.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    The Rat is a good choice - a good balance between versatility and simplicity. I've got the Mooer Black Secret and it compares well with my Rat DIY build. Having the 2 rat flavours adds to the versatility. Two of the controls are fiddly - I keep meaning to tippex them so it is easier to see how they're set.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I used a tubescreamer with mine for a long time

Cleanish bd2, slight gain on the ts, stacked was obviously more 

Good times 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Im selling a nobels odr-s which works very erll with other lighter drives
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    You could look for a Crunchbox or a Jhs Angry Charlie. Andy Timmons makes the BD2 and the JHS sound great as a compliment to each other IMHO. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    thomasw88 said:
    Im selling a nobels odr-s which works very erll with other lighter drives
    It works well with pretty much anything. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    You could try a Guvnor II, well priced and the bass Eq is handy for stacking.

Also look at a Timmy or clone. Flexible eq and can do light to medium drive or an eq'd dirty boost. 

For AC/DC and G&R definitely the Marshall Guvn'r II Plus - I have it on my board with a tube-screamer and a Boss GE-7 EQ. The Guvn'r II is IMHO one of the most under-rated 'Marshall in a box' distortion pedals. It will do everything from an EQ boost to classic Marshall JCM800 and DSL JCM2000 territory. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Ive a Blues driver and find using a Klone with it gives great versatility. Also gives you a clean solo boost as well. Win win.!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life